Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 8:17:46 PM EDT
About 95% of the time when I click on a forum, or any tab on this site i get the Microsoft "This page cannot be displayed" white screen.. This does not happen on any other website.. When it happens I usually have to click the back button, click the link, go back again, then clik link for the 3rd time to get the page to open..

Any ideas of what the hell is wrong, beside Microsoft?..

Thanks...

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I get that too, I think the ARFCOM's servers are too slow or something like that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
browser?
dial up or broadband?
who is your isp?
happen at certain times of day?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
DNS problem?  Open up a DOS window (or Terminal if you're on OS X) and ping www.ar15.com and see if the host name gets resolved into an IP address.  If not, try using a different set of DNS servers.  4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2 are pretty reliable.
Try purging your IE's cache too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I am using Microcrap..

Comcast cable broadband. And I have no idea what a ping is??

I do have ad-aware, and run it usually once a day.. I don't think I have a firewall, and I am using Norton's internet security.. But  a older version..

I'm getting some ideas, the only thing that threw me was the fact it is only doing it for ARFCOM??
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
open a DOS window and type

tracert www.ar15.com

That will give you an idea of why you are lagging
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont think its lag or spyware.... at least not in my case.

I would have to ask if you are doing this from home or work?

If from home, what is your connection?  DSL or Cable?  (I assume high speed)

In any case, I highly recommend adjusting your MTU.  This fixed lots of broadband connection and speed related issues, especially with fragmented packets from DSL:

www.dslreports.com/drtcp  You can get it here and set your MTU on every NIC in your system (not dialup tho!) to 1400.  Takes a reboot I think to take effect.

If you are connecting from work, is there some sort of proxy?  I know at my work, I get exactly the same thing you descibe.... page cannot be displayed in the same scenarios... have to keep hitting back or refresh....  often have to double and triple tap "submit" to get it to post.  I still havent solved that one at work, I have to assume its the proxy (ours SUCKS) because when I bring the same laptop home, ARFCOM works fine... behind my DSL/ROUTER.... and works fine from anywhere else I use it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm getting some ideas, the only thing that threw me was the fact it is only doing it for ARFCOM??

Ok, you are at home, and on cable.... so for the most part, none of those things posted above should apply.  It wont hurt to adjust your MTU, but cable typically doesnt need it.... you can try and see.

Norton Inet sec can cause all kinds of problems.  Go in there and turn that off, and see how it goes.  

Do you have XP?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm using XP..

When I ping Arfcom I get "Request timed out", and 4 packets sent 0 received 100% loss..

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm using XP..

When I ping Arfcom I get "Request timed out", and 4 packets sent 0 received 100% loss..

Their firewall is blocking ICMP packets.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you turn off/disable Norton?  Adjust your MTU?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Oh please.....  Can you post a scan or a pic of the firewall configuration?  I dont believe it.  Something sounds fishy with that story.

Oops!  Sorry!  Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh please.....  Can you post a scan or a pic of the firewall configuration?  I dont believe it.  Something sounds fishy with that story.

Oops!  Sorry!  Wrong thread.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry to hijack. Anyone have links for a help site? Piece of shit other desktop H-P won't connect online anymore. I think it lost another network card(#3). All other computers in the house work. I have DSL and a router running XP. Restore didn't work and I went to start-run- msconfig and shut down some stuff on selective startup. Then I checked the one with the diagnostic startup. Now the toolbar color is differen't, the clock numbers are different, and when I click on the help and support icon it has a window that pops up saying windows cannot open it because a system service is not running. To fix it start the service named help and support. WTF, I went back to the system config utility and rechecked normal startup, restarted the computer, went back and made sure all checkboxes under startup were filled and restarted again. Also I can't use restore except for yesterdays date. Nothing in September at all, only yesterdays date. How the hell do I get all srvices running that should be. I need it back like it was even if the card is screwed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top