Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2001 7:49:57 PM EDT
I just spoke to a guy who fought in Vietnam with the ROK forces in 66-68.  He still has dreams that he is in a firefight.  He will get up in the middle of night searching for his M16. Other times, his M16 will be jammed with VC all around him.  Any other vets have any interesting stories?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
My Dad was there during most of '67 and told me nothing of it other than the fact that he couldn't sleep very well for years afterwards. He's now retired and I'm almost thirty, yet he still hasn't discussed it with me. My stepfather, who was a Navy surgeon, had some interesting stories of being ambushed during various field hospital relocations, but I don't know the years or places he was at. He also had series of nightmares yet they didn't last more than a few years. The only thing he notes that he will never forget is an enemy hit at fairly close range with an M-79 in the upper torso and the case of foot fungus he got there which has NEVER gone away. His feet STINK too man....nasty odor.
My grandfather was a B17 pilot in WWII. He was shot down and made his way back via the "underground". His stories are unbelievable.
My 2 cents,
CS
Quoted:
I just spoke to a guy who fought in Vietnam with the ROK forces in 66-68.  He still has dreams that he is in a firefight.  He will get up in the middle of night searching for his M16. Other times, his M16 will be jammed with VC all around him.  Any other vets have any interesting stories?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
My Grandfather was in WWII.  He received two bronze stars, a purple heart, and was a POW.  He escaped twice as the first time wasn't successful.  Anyway, my Grandparents raised me and as a little kid he I remember hearing him talk in his sleep at night.  Fighting the war no doubt.  It wasn't until '94 when they had all that stuff on about the 50 year anniversary that he started to open up.  I heard stories that kept me up at night.  And he wouldn't tell me everything.  I'm in the military and anybody who has been in combat is a hero in my eyes!  
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#4]
My Grandfather was in WW2, my Dad told me that the one thing that always gave him nightmares was falling into a German foxhole and having to kill the Germans in there.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top