BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2004 4:40:40 PM EDT
can't decide. R1, Harley, moped????
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Silly question - Have you ever ridden before? Will this be your first bike?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had an older 1980 gs750.  That is the only street bike I have ever had.  I grew up on dirt bikes, but haven't ridden one of them for 5 or so years.  I am a pretty conservative guy so I would imagine that I wouldn't kill myself on a bullet bike, but I beg the question of why it seems there are so many for sale that have like 1500 miles on them?  I also don't know if they are uncomfortable for a longer trip say 4 hours.  I want a mild custom with like a harley evo and a 200 tire, but I can't get a loan to build a bike.  I like cruisers cause they would be nice for a long ride, but not as much fun in town.  I would mostly ride it to work and maybe on 1 hour trips to the nearest "city".
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I've ridden sportbikes exclusively for 11 years now so my opinions are biased on type. However, in recent months, I've been leaning more towards the Beemer crowd and the god awful GS series. Comfy, versatile, and able to go into mild offroad situations.

Cruisers have never been my forte' but I don't knock those who own them. I doubt I would ever own one just because I'm not big on the way they look. But then again, there is a guy around here with a sweet rigid conversion.

If you take the sportbike option, I'd say go with any 600 since you've got bike experience already. Just remember, every 600 is capable of XXX digit speeds now and comes complete with 100+ rwhp. If you're thinking about a sportbike, now is the golden age. The brakes, engine, and drivetrain are more technologically advanced than ever before. It's true they have all the speed, but they also have the braking and handling (rider dependant) to back it up.

The government crackdown is coming soon and might get that final push thanks to that jackass in MN that got the 205 mph speeding ticket. Too bad he wasn't on something capable of breaking the 180mph barrier let alone the 200 marker.

Your normal riding and roads should dictate your purchase. I'm currently commuting 51 miles one way so I need a comfortable sportbike that performs in all weather. The best advice ever given to me was "Go to the dealer and sit on everything there." Don't just buy because some mag said it had the biggest, baddest specs around, buy because it "fits" you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
A used ~500cc bike like Ninja 500 or GS500, etc. or slightly larger cruiser.  Have fun with it and don't worry about messing it up.  After you learn how to ride, and you still like it, knock your socks out and get a nice new one if you feel like it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have had an older 1980 gs750.  That is the only street bike I have ever had.  I grew up on dirt bikes, but haven't ridden one of them for 5 or so years.  I am a pretty conservative guy so I would imagine that I wouldn't kill myself on a bullet bike, but I beg the question of why it seems there are so many for sale that have like 1500 miles on them?  I also don't know if they are uncomfortable for a longer trip say 4 hours.  I want a mild custom with like a harley evo and a 200 tire, but I can't get a loan to build a bike.  I like cruisers cause they would be nice for a long ride, but not as much fun in town.  I would mostly ride it to work and maybe on 1 hour trips to the nearest "city".

Suzuki C90

Mine:

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#7]
A really big one that goes really fucking fast!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, you can be an "Individual" just like everybody freakin else and get a cruiser...

or, you can be your own man and get one of these.  
I LOVE mine, and have ridden it cross country (Laredo, TX to CANADA).

Of course, my 2000 is military green    And I have added most mods, including Givi hard cases.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Nationwide, are you going to get the diesel conversion when it is allowed for civilian use?

And I have this that I am learning on.  Been riding 6mo now, to the day infact:

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Harley ... f*cking ... DAVIDSON.

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I would check out BMW. You can put a bjillion miles on them and they are not as noisy for the rider.

This one is an old one V

If anyone has one of these I am interested.

MT
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Honda CBR 600 F4i
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive own 14 motorcycles and worked in a shop for a couple of years.

I like the dual sports, they have the best suspension, and fantastic brakes.  Stay away from HD's....they ping like an old car and leak oil, the frames are junk and brakes are next to the kids go-cart up the street.  I dont see anything bolted on a Jap bike that doesnt have a purpose, it was designed into the bike...unlike a HD that has crap hanging off every part of the bike, and whats with the leather tasles?  

I notice that the thing with a Harley is how much cheese can you hang off the bike and thats not including the buttless cahp you have to wear.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I like mine... I'm going to dual sport it soon.  KTM450 EXC enduro bike.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Long time dirt biker here also. I've ridden many street bikes, but the Warrior was my first street bike. I've never regretted buying this Torque Beast.  It's really quick, handles great, and gets a lot of attention.

I got back from a 6,000+ mile cross country trip this past August. I had a blast! I've been drag racing several times and this bike loves to be ridden hard in the twisties.

Part Cruiser & part Sportsbike = Power Cruiser

Road Star Warrior Yamaha Road Star Warrior website

Midnight Black model

My Warrior (old pic)

102 cubic inch (1670cc) air cooled V-Twin
Fuel injected
R1 derived front & rear disc brakes
R1 derived front & rear suspension
Aluminum frame, swingarm, and rims
200/50 ZR17 rear tire
Stock 0-60 times = 3.8 seconds

Tons of accessories and engine hop up kits. All the way to 122ci big bore kits, NOS, Turbo charger, and soon super charger.

AMA Prostar Drag Racing Championship 2002 & 2003 (Points leader for 2004, just two more races)
AMA ProStar Drag Racing videos:

Friend's Warrior
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Ritchey Ultra? Bridgestone MB-2?  Bianchi Grizzly?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#19]
R1!!!!!!

at least thats what I'm getting. (I'm not a bike newbie either I rode a 600 sportbike for a few years)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#22]
BMW R1200GS

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Those Beemer guys are a weird bunch- with the flipup helmets and suitcase deals.

Well at least you dont have to buy a set of buttless chaps to be in the gang.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#24]
1981 honda CB 900

As a matter of fact, i actually have one of those!!!

And its for sale!!!

I take cash, check, or money order.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Those Beemer guys are a weird bunch- with the flipup helmets and suitcase deals.

LMFAO!!!! so true
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#26]
a 2004 suzuki volusia http://www.volusiaowners.com/
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:30:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Turbo 'busa and a good life insurance policy. Make me the beneficiary and go for a ride
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:31:02 AM EDT
[#28]
One day I may look into getting a bike, but I dont know.  Not appealing to me at the moment
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:29:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Personally, I like the Yamaha R6. Style, power, comfort  (for a sport bike).  I've got a 2003 that was bought new, and I don't think I'll ever "grow out" of it.
I have to agree with whoever said to sit on what they have in the showroom. Some dealers will allow test drives as well.
A major consideration is insurance. Washington state ( where I am) doesn't require it for motorcycles. However, if your ins. co. won't cover them, you may pay out the nose through Progressive or the like. My quote for a 2003 R6, liability only- 2300/ year.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:31:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Personally, I like the Yamaha R6. Style, power, comfort  (for a sport bike).  I've got a 2003 that was bought new, and I don't think I'll ever "grow out" of it.
I have to agree with whoever said to sit on what they have in the showroom. Some dealers will allow test drives as well.
A major consideration is insurance. Washington state ( where I am) doesn't require it for motorcycles. However, if your ins. co. won't cover them, you may pay out the nose through Progressive or the like. My quote for a 2003 R6, liability only- 2300/ year.

I ran  an online quote for full coverage on a CBR600RR and came up with like $6k a year. Screw that, I just need some theft insurance, if I crash I already have medical insurance.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:59:10 AM EDT
[#31]
No question then, get the modern version of the GS750 from Suzuki.

SV650

OR...

SV650S

If you want it a little larger then go with the 1000 version of those bikes.

Quoted:
I have had an older 1980 gs750.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:15:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The government crackdown is coming soon and might get that final push thanks to that jackass in MN that got the 205 mph speeding ticket. Too bad he wasn't on something capable of breaking the 180mph barrier let alone the 200 marker.

we all thought that this presumed government crack down was coming way back in '85 when Senator Danforth introduced the anti-sportbike legislation.  now  look at what we got!  As far as the 1500 mile bikes for sale goes, this has been the case since at least the early '80's because peoples primary transportation is the car and sooner or later the bike ends up collecting dust hile the owner is still making payments so the bikles gets sold.  I'm not saying this is the only reason but I believfe it is the primary reason.   I have owned 2 cruisers 5 sport bikes (250, 500, 750 Ninjas, 600 FZR and VF 1000) and many dirt bikes, and I have to say my favorite bike was the FZR 600.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:19:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow I go to bed at midnight and quit checking, then the poeple post.  I do like the idea of a dual purpose bike, but where I live presently there is really no public land.  This place is filled with farms.  So I really could only utilize a streetbike.  

Seems like there is a good blend between sport and cruiser on the boards.  I am going into the nearest city today and I will sit on some different styles and see.  I tried to do a search on which bullet bike was the "best", yeah right.  Finally someone posted quater mile times for factory bikes and 0-100 times.  All the bikes out there are so close I don't think it matters the brand of one does it?  Is there a more reliable engine in one of them.  I like the looks of the R1, but I thinkthat is because I have always been a yamaha fan.

As for cruisers, has anyone ever ridden a Victory motorcycle.  They are made in the USA and are suppose to be pretty good?

Thank you for all the replies.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

WTF???  I ride a Kawasaki, and I wear a modular helmet, and I have mounted premium Italian hard cases to my ride, lest I decide to ride it FARTHER THAN THE F*CKIN POST OFFICE LIKE ALL THESE H-D POSERS!!!!

[homer]Oooooh!  LOOK AT ME!!  I ride a H-D, just like every other accountant on my block!!! Weeeeeee!!!![/homer]

ETA:

First, the diesel KLR... not comming for the foreseable futer.  Hysperia, the company in CA doing the .mil bikes needs like 10 million dollars to tool up and make a bike that can pass EPA req's.  Estimated street price would be in the $10,000 range, about double the gas motor.

I am on the list, should they ever decide to sell them. (ya! right!!)
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Since everyone else is recommending what they ride.

Check out the Honda CBR1100XX. They didn't come out with an '05 model but there are still some left overs to be had. You can also find some screaming deals on used ones. The XX is sort of a sport-touring bike so its basically a really comfortable sportbike. Its also one of the fastest bikes ever produced but it has very linear and manageable power delivery and EXCELLENT brakes. It also has one of the smoothest and most reliable engines ever put in a motorcycle.  The XX rarely EVER has any mechanical issues.
Surf over to www.cbr1100xx.org and check it out. Also check out the board. www.cbr1100xx.org/forum
Whatever bike you choose be careful and WEAR YOUR GEAR. Full face Helmet, gloves, jacket, boots and jeans are minimum.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
we all thought that this presumed government crack down was coming way back in '85 when Senator Danforth introduced the anti-sportbike legislation.  now  look at what we got!  

We've all thought the ban wouldn't be too far away each time they came out with the newer, faster model. Unfortunately I firmly believe this time will put the nail in the coffin. Every DJ with a mike has broadcast this story and spent several minutes laughing about it.

It's coming for us "damn ninja bikers"  But man look how far we made it before they shut us down.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#39]
One of the magazines here said

"Those middle aged people who have been ridng motorcycles since they were teens lean toward riding BMWs and Honda Goldwings, while those middle aged people who just recently started riding lean toward Harley Davidsons".

Which basically says that those who have experience get BMWs and those who have a mid life crisis get a Harley so they can try and act young.

My uncle has been riding since he was young and he got a Harley, but he tries to be young and makes no effort hiding the fact.  Hes cool though, he gives me beer
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:20:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I've always wondered why the H-D crowd always refuses to wear "flip-up" or full face helmets, despite their proven safety value.  And then, it struck me!

If they wore a helmet that covers their face, no one could see it was them on their shiney new motorcycle!!!  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Whatever you decice to buy, check this company out for your insurance:

Markel American Insurance Company
P.O. Box 906
Pewaukee, WI 53072-0906
1-800 236-2453

They specialize in motorcycle & ATV insurance, and the rates are much better than most companies. I have a 1997 Yamaha Virago 750 and my rates are only about $250 a year. ALFA wanted almost $900 a year and I have 2 cars, a house, and a boat with them.

These guys are right, buy the bike that feels right sitting on it, not just what looks cool. I am partial to Yamaha, Honda & BMW. There really are a lot of great bikes out there, I am looking hard at a Honda VTX1300C, but I'm gonna keep my Virago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#44]
BOTD Warning  

Get a Harley, they're chick magnets.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Well, you can be an "Individual" just like everybody freakin else and get a cruiser...

or, you can be your own man and get one of these.  
I LOVE mine, and have ridden it cross country (Laredo, TX to CANADA).

Of course, my 2000 is military green    And I have added most mods, including Givi hard cases.

www.kawasaki.com/Flash/desktopImages/DUALKLR6501024_0.jpg

Agreed. I've had my KLR since 1999 and have been totally satisfied. When the time comes for a replacement the only other bike I would consider is the Triumph Tiger.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/Ducati2099920R.jpg

LMAO!!! Hang on, let me get this 30K out of my pocket.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

You get the M/C that YOU like. Ride 'em and decide. These threads ALWAYS turn into flame fests.

AB
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

My brother in law has a '81 Kawasaki KZ-440 LTD.  He has had pretty good luck with it other than a fuel system problem(it was there B4 he bought it) and the starter went out.  

You can probably find one on Ebay.

Here is a website related to KZ motorcycles.

www.kzriderz.com

OR

If you've got $100,000 laying around you can get a chopper from Orange County Choppers(the shop on American Chopper on Discovery Channel.href=www.orangecountychoppers.com
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#49]
well off I go to the city, we'll see what happens.  I will sit on them all and maybe steal one. That reminds me, I better pack today.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Depends how old are you? R1=18-50yrs old, Harley=65+yrs, Moped=
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top