Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 4:13:38 PM EDT
John Kerry  

The Second Amendment

Do you believe that the Second Amendment to the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms or a collective right that allows for state militias to be armed?

I believe that the Constitution, our laws, and our customs protect law-abiding American citizens’ right to own firearms.

If you believe that the Second Amendment confers an individual right to own a gun, what types of restrictions (if any) do you believe are permissible on that right?

I believe that the right of gun ownership comes with responsibilities. I support the Brady Law and the assault weapons ban and believe they are constitutional. I believe that a proposed law requiring background checks for all firearm sales at gun shows is a reasonable restriction that is necessary to protect law-abiding citizens, which is certainly permissible under the Second Amendment.

Enforcement of Federal Gun Laws

Politicians of both parties routinely promise to “enforce the gun laws on the books.” However, during the last three years, Department of Justice data show that only about 2% of federal gun crimes were prosecuted, and 20 of the 22 major gun laws were virtually ignored. How would you do a better job of cracking down on gun crime and enforcing federal gun laws?

I spent three years as a prosecutor in Middlesex County, Boston, and I am convinced that this Administration does not have a clue how to effectively work with local officials to prosecute gun crime. One of my first acts as President will be to fire John Ashcroft and bring in an Attorney General who is, among other things, serious about enforcing our gun laws.

George Bush broke the only promise he made on gun safety. After his loud promises to “enforce the laws on the books,” the Bush/Ashcroft Justice Department has done virtually nothing to enforce 20 of the 22 major federal gun laws. A recently published study of the Justice Department’s own data showed that last year, the federal government prosecuted only 7 cases for selling a firearm to a minor, 12 cases for bringing a gun onto school property and 27 cases against corrupt gun dealers. These are serious crimes, committed thousands of times every year. The Bush record is shameful, and my record as President will be better.

Working with the Clinton Administration, my hometown of Boston was able to implement “Operation Ceasefire” a comprehensive gun enforcement strategy that attacked gun violence at every level. With gun crime back on the increase, I’d use this as a model to involve federal prosecutors, gun crime experts and analysts in ways that complement local efforts. Fighting gun crime and violence is a national problem that we have proven with efforts like this and the COPS program can be tackled with cooperation. My opponents who would leave states to go it alone would place us in no better position than George Bush’s coddling of gun criminals.

It is a federal crime to lie on the background check form used for prospective gun purchasers, and the crime of “lie and buy” is committed about 150,000 times every year. But fewer than 600 of these crimes are prosecuted, meaning 99.6% of the criminals who commit this crime escape prosecution. Do you regard this crime as serious, and if so, how would you make prosecution of it more of a priority?

This is a serious crime – “lie and buy” is, after all, a criminal attempting to arm himself. I will ensure that my Attorney General will prosecute significantly more of the perpetrators of this crime, putting teeth behind the law and using it to deter other criminals from fraudulently obtaining firearms in the future.

It’s time to end the hypocrisy about enforcing our gun laws. George Bush and the NRA lashed out at the Clinton Administration for failing to enforce this law. But President Bush hasn’t uttered a word about John Ashcroft’s lackluster enforcement record. .

Gun Safety Policies

Do you support legislation authored by Senators Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Larry Craig (R-ID) and passed in the House in the last Congress to provide more federal funding and incentives to states to improve their gun sale background checks records?

Yes. We need to make our broken background check system both faster and more accurate; prevent felons, domestic abusers, and other prohibited gun buyers from erroneously clearing a background check because of faulty records; and end many of the needless delays in gun buyer background checks that are caused by manual searches of paper records.

The Assault Weapons Ban is due to expire in September 2004. Do you favor:

Expanding the ban to include additional firearms (H.R.2038);
Renewing the ban as it is (S.1034); OR
Letting the ban expire?
I support reauthorizing the Assault Weapons Ban. I was proud to support the ban in 1994, and I will support it again. George Bush promised to support reauthorization of the Assault Weapons Ban, yet so far, he hasn’t lifted a finger to do so. Presidents must show leadership on issues as important as this one, not just play politics with them.

Do you support requiring background checks for all firearms sales at gun shows?

Yes. I have always supported legislation to close the gun show loophole by requiring background checks for all firearm sales at gun shows. I voted for that legislation in 1999 and closing it will be a priority for me as president. Since the Brady Act took effect in 1994, gun shows have become popular with criminals and gun traffickers – gun shows are the second leading source of guns recovered in trafficking investigations. It’s absurd that criminals can buy guns at gun shows with no questions asked, no background check required. Even terrorists have exploited the gun show loophole and we must close it. George Bush said in 2000 that he supported instant checks at gun shows, but he has done nothing to close this dangerous loophole since becoming president.

Do you support H.R. 2946, a bill to stiffen penalties and help crack down on illegal gun trafficking?

Yes. President Bush’s enforcement record is pitiful. This bill not only gives law enforcement better tools to attack gun traffickers, it sends a message to President Bush that America is tired of all talk and no action on enforcement. We can do more with the tools we have, but this is an example of an area where new national laws can help reduce gun crime. Local officials may know best, but in the case of a national crisis, like the insecurity of Americans because of the increased threat of crime and violence, we needed a national response.

Do you support the bill currently before Congress that would grant broad legal immunity to gun manufacturers, distributors and dealers? (S.659)

I oppose the gun industry immunity bill currently before the Congress, and if it were to come to me as President, I would veto it.

I don’t want to see the gun industry bankrupted by frivolous lawsuits, but the current immunity bill is simply a give-away to a special interest. If the federal government is going to provide blanket immunity for a particular industry – which is not something we do very often – we ought to at least demand that they act responsibly. .

Do you support federal licensing of gun owners (or a federal requirement that states license gun owners)?

No. This is an area that has been traditionally left up to the states.

Do you support federal registration of gun purchases (or a federal requirement that states register gun purchases)?

No.

Personal

Please describe your personal experience with guns.

My father taught me to hunt, and it is a pastime that I have enjoyed throughout my life. However, my work as a prosecutor also showed me firsthand the effects that gun violence can have on a community. Throughout my career, I’ve had the courage to stand up to those who would let our communities be taken over by violence, whether its organized crime in Boston or standing up to extremists in the NRA who preach safety and enforcement, but practice extremism and block common sense reform. I’ve carried a rifle for my country in Vietnam and my rifle saved my life and that of my crew. I believe in the Second Amendment. But I believe with gun ownership comes rights and responsibilities - responsibilities to make sure that criminals and children don't get them.

In one sentence, what would you like to say to gun-owning voters in America?

I am a gun owner and hunter who believes that our constitutional right of gun ownership comes with the responsibility to do our best keep guns out of the hands of children and criminals.

In one sentence, what would you like to say to non-gun owning voters in America?

I pledge to bring gun owners and non-gun owners together to find solutions to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and respect the rights of law-abiding gun owners.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the longest outright lie I've ever read.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you ever heard JFK tout gun registration?

CRC
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
That's coming from a guy who says he crawls around on his belly with a double barrel shotgun while deer hunting.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Commie-pinko-fag
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Where's wedge when we need him?  We all know it's a trap.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
How many dumbasses will believe this shit?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm obviously not wedge, but ask and ye shall receive.  

IT'S A TRAP!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
The bill he cosponsored in the senate EXPANDED the AWB, and yes, it could have been interpreted to ban the Remington 11-87 he used as a prop at the UMW dog-and-pony show in Boone County, W.Va. over Labor Day.

When language in a bill is intentionally left vague, all you need is an anti-gun judge (or, as would be a certainty in a Kerry administration, an anti-gun attorney general). He won't appoint anyone without the blessing of Feinstein, Boxer, Schumer and the rest of those clowns.

When an AG or a court made such a ruling, he could kick back, throw up his hands and say, "Wasn't me!"

Lets hope this jackass doesn't get the chance.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
But will he register your currently owned AR-15s? Says here, nope.

CRC

And when has he ever stood firm on what he has said?  I'm thinking.........NEVER.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Where's that picture of Kerry with Kennedy, Feinswine and Schumer again?

That's all you need in response to this.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes but he quickly distanced himself from that bill and endorsed Feinstein's bill.

So he's not all stupid.

He basically endorsed the current ban and no further ala Howard Dean.

Point to me where he lobbied for S 1431 after Dec 2003?

CRC
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#16]
CRC, are you mentally sub-normal?

John Kerry voted 9 times to ban semi-auto rifles, and voted to ban .30-.30, .223 , etc. ammo.

He's the most anti-gun presidential candidate in history.

ETA:  if you posted that garbage to point out how untruthful Kerry is, you should have given an indication of you own feelings.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Senator Kerry: "There's a front-page story in today's Washington Post that says that Democrats are going to try to run away from the issue of gun safety.

"I don't think that we can get elected nationally if we are not prepared to stand up against powerful special interests and make it clear that, whether it's the NRA or any other special interest, we're prepared to stand for our principles.

"All across this country, we have too many people who die each year from guns. So let me make it plain: I am for the assault weapons ban. I'm for the Brady Bill. I'm for making sure we stand up for gun safety in this country. We cannot be a party that retreats in an effort to try to court votes and not save lives."

www.jointogether.org/gv/news/alerts/reader/0,2061,567390,00.html
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#18]
All semi-auto rifles?

No he didn't.

And yes he did vote for a bill that would effectively ban most centefire ammo.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How many dumbasses will believe this shit?

Way, way too many I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#20]
What a bunch of fucking horseshit! John Kerry is a cosponsor of S1431, which is the sister of HR2038, which would not only renew the 1994 Assault Weapons ban, it would also result in the confiscation of "postban" firearms.

John Kerry is a lying sack of shit and CRC must have lost his mind!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Duck and deer hunt union members
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IT'S A TRAP!!!
img28.exs.cx/img28/4176/ackbar-trap1.jpg

That's the great thing about arfcom.  If one key player is not here, others step up and do the job.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1

His senate record does not lie.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What a bunch of fucking horseshit! John Kerry is a cosponsor of S1431, which is the sister of HR2038, which would not only renew the 1994 Assault Weapons ban, it would also result in the confiscation of "postban" firearms.

Umm confiscation was NEVER part of S 1431.

Even Frank Lautenberg wasn't that stupid. This isn't Australia.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Kerry will take our guns if he can. He changes his position at the slightest gust of wind.

This is ar15.com. Since when is supporting the AWB "talking about it the right way"?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#26]
" Michael Meehan, a spokesman for the campaign, said Mr. Kerry, the Democratic presidential nominee, owns two guns, a double-barreled 12-gauge shotgun and the rifle, which Mr. Meehan said Mr. Kerry "keeps as a relic" and had never fired. Mr. Meehan said the gun had no make or model markings on it and that Mr. Kerry "got it from a friend years ago," adding that such rifles were first manufactured in Russia more than 100 years ago and were used by the North Koreans and the Vietcong.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IT'S A TRAP!!!
img28.exs.cx/img28/4176/ackbar-trap1.jpg

That's the great thing about arfcom.  If one key player is not here, others step up and do the job.

I live to serve.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yes but he quickly distanced himself from that bill and endorsed Feinstein's bill.

So he's not all stupid.

CRC

Of course he wasn't going to support it as the election drew closer. But he was a co-sponsor, and that tells me all I need to know. Do you honestly think he wouldn't support a more restrictive version?

I had a conversation with some union guy about this a couple of weeks ago. The man's take was basically, "He won't take my hunting rifle, so I don't care."

So I asked him what happened when the antis start calling his hunting rifle a sniper rifle.

He didn't have an answer for that.

If Kerry is elected, one of the first things you'll see is a reversal by his brand-new attorney general concerning  the federal government's official position on the Second Amendment. They'll go back to a collective interpretation.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't fucking beleive I'm reading this *here*

From your post:
"The Assault Weapons Ban is due to expire in September 2004. Do you favor:

Expanding the ban to include additional firearms (H.R.2038);
Renewing the ban as it is (S.1034); OR
Letting the ban expire?
I support reauthorizing the Assault Weapons Ban. I was proud to support the ban in 1994, and I will support it again. George Bush promised to support reauthorization of the Assault Weapons Ban, yet so far, he hasn’t lifted a finger to do so. Presidents must show leadership on issues as important as this one, not just play politics with them. "

So he supports private ownerships of guns? Which ones? How do you think he will decide which ones we can own (or they will ban first/next) ?

Oh wait, we can trust him because he' a politician....

After what he did when he got back from Vietnam, his comment during the debate:

" And it reminds me that it is vital for us not to confuse the war, ever, with the warriors. That happened before."

Whatever

If you could ever reconcile all the outright lies and fabrications, get past the fact that he is an elitist snob who flies people around to get his haircut, and the constant waffling, you'll still have the fact that he fucked his buddies.

He is the worst example of a Presidential candidate I've ever seen.

[edit]

Oh Shit - It's A Trap!!

Got Me! HaHa
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#30]
"I think the Brady Ban is reasonable, the assault weapons ban is reasonable. It's reasonable to have some waiting period [on gun purchases]. I'm not for [gun] registration. I've never been for gun registration."

--JOHN KERRY
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel,
July 4, 2004
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Deer hunting union workers who only care about their bolt guns and or shotguns will get a horrible wakeup someday if sKerry is ever elected president.

We really need to keep spreading the word in unions areas and help some of those dumb fucks understand the truth.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#33]
ASSAULT WEAPONS

1. Do you support or oppose legislation to renew the current ban on specific assault weapons?

I support the bill to reauthorize the current Assault Weapons Ban.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm confiscation was NEVER part of S 1431.

Even Frank Lautenberg wasn't that stupid. This isn't Australia.

CRC

Bullshit. S1431 makes it illegal to possess an "assault weapon" that was not legally possessed prior to 9/13/1994, and redefines the term "assault weapon" to include "post ban" configurations. You would be forced to surrender the firearms. Read the legislation!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Please excuse my German, but what a cock-sucking little piece of shit.

"It's OK for me to break gun laws, but I'm going to crack down on all the rest of you."
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#38]
contradiction of his own words in the first & second question. . .

Dumb Ass!

Linky??
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#39]
"It's very important for us as Democrats to understand that where I come from guns are about a lot more than guns themselves," said John Edwards. "They are about independence. For a lot of people who work hard for a living, one of the few things they feel they have any control over is whether they can buy a gun and hunt. They don't want people messing with that, which I understand."  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm so confused here.  Just WHERE the fuck does CRC stand?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I voted for it, before I voted against it.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Kerry will take our guns if he can. He changes his position at the slightest gust of wind.

This is ar15.com. Since when is supporting the AWB "talking about it the right way"?

+6.02E23

That guy only says EXACTLY what is necessary to garner as many votes as possible.

It will be fun to watch him lose in one month's time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#43]
OK, I'll start. CRC has obviously turned into a commie pinko fag. Anybody who says ANYTHING supportive of Kerry is Anti-American and Pro-France. He's indirectly calling us right-wing radical bomb throwers and babykillers when some of us have taken internet flames, banning and torture spam attacks to defend our fellow gun owners.

Lost another one to NAMBLA.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Have you ever heard JFK tout gun registration?

CRC

Not consistantly, of course. Depends on whose ass he's currently blowing smoke into. He's more interested in outright banning rather than registration.

ETA - I once had a lot of contempt for the real JFK. Kerry makes John Kennedy look like Rush Limbaugh. At least Kennedy was capable of putting his political ambitions aside when national security was an issue. Kerry would likely have allowed the Soviet missles to remain in Cuba, fully operational. Kerry is to the Presidency as Jesse Jackson is to the welfare and success of black Americans. His success, and thus his true agenda require the individual failure of those he would claim to "serve".
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

So he's not all stupid.

CRC

No, he's not stupid. He's a marxist socialist. I'd like him a lot better if his big flaw was that he's stupid.

He's a traitor too. Is that OK with you also?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Oh, come on. How stupid is this? Somebody please point out to the listening audience how Kerry supporting the renewal and EXPANSION of the Klinton Gun Ban is a good thing?

CRC, stop ranting about everything else you might feel motivated to discuss until you answer this.

No. Quit trying to swerve.

Answer it. Wipe that froth off your chin.

Now.

Pretty please with sugar on top (ala Pulp Fiction).

Kerry is an anti-gun fanatic. He's a liberal hippy shit-head fascist with designs on the our constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Kerry is an anti-gun fanatic. He's a liberal hippy shit-head fascist with designs on the our constitutional rights, for his own personal gain and fulfillment of his lifelong quest for power.

There - fixed it for ya!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Wait until tomorrow and ask again. He'll say the polar opposite.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top