Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 3:34:32 PM EDT

www.pelican.com/cases/cases.html

Anyone own a Pelican waterproof case?  I saw some at the gun show last weekend, and was pretty impressed.  Its a sharp looking case.  Are they as reliable and waterproof as they claim? I am thinking about buying one for my buddy who is returning from Afghanistan in two weeks.

I have one question about the foam as well.  I have heard that instead of cutting the foam in the shape of your rifle, you can place your AR in boiling water for a few minutes, then place it on top of the foam.  The foam will melt in the exact shape of the weapon.  I think this would look much better than cutting the foam out by hand.  However, what I want to know is  - is this safe for the weapon?  I would be a little concerned about the handguards, mostly.  Also, would the foam melt and stick to the weapon and have to be scraped off, or would it just shrivel into nothing?  I don't want to try it without knowing for sure that it won't damage the weapon.

Thanks!

By the way, this case (the 1720) is about $135 on Ebay.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Where you going to boil a pot big enough to fit a rifle?  

1: Wrap Rifle in tin foil making sure to get a tight fit on the side that will be down in the case.
2: Bake rifle at around 160ged until good and hot.

3:Wear mitts,  Pull out rifle with foil intact and center it above the foam and put it down on the foam when centered to where you want it.

Monitor the rifle's sinkage to ensure it doesn't go to far.

repeat  as necessary to get it deep enough
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Woops.  I was thinking of the wrong case.

Mine LOOKS similar, but it's a Starlight.

AAARGHH!

You really got my hopes up for a minute there.  Bastage!

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen a lot of crazy shit on this site, but I will seriously piss myself if I get a pic of someone boiling or baking their AR

- BG
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#7]
BOILING A FREAKIN AR?????????

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've seen a lot of crazy shit on this site, but I will seriously piss myself if I get a pic of someone boiling or baking their AR

- BG

Why not boil or bake an AR? Do it to AK's all the time.

CW
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Errm... what will happen if you put your AR in the case after firing it ? Duh - it will melt. Do you REALLY want to have to wait for your rifle to cool down completely before you can go home ?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Make a template out of cardboard by tracing your rifle to it. It's easier to get your cardboard template trimmed perfectly before you superimpose it on the foam. Make sure to keep your razor knife/blade pointed perfectly straight up and down while cutting.

Your template should be 90% the actual size of your rifle. You want a snug fit when the weapon sits in the case and the rifle will stretch out the foam as designed.

HS1

ETA: I've heard that freezing the foam for an hour before cutting it makes it easier. I didn't try it.

Hi Inferno!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Dont use foam to store guns. I did for about 6 months in a pelican case....noticed some surface rusting on the steel pieces, I promptly removed them and they have been fine ever since. And I did have a de-humidifer in there. I think the foam just absorbes to much moisture to store guns in it. The only thing a case like that is good for is short term travel storage.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Great cases and well worth the money especially if doing any traveling with airlines.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't want to share this with you all yet, but since someone brought it up:

AR15 Fondue:

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
   1       rifle            AR15 (preferably a fully assembled Colt, or BushMaster for those
                             preferring purple colored fondue)
   10     pounds        Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
   4       teaspoons    cornstarch
   1                         garlic clove -- halved
   10 1/2  cups         dry white wine, preferably Neufchatel
   2       teaspoons    CLP
   1 1/2  tablespoons   kirsch, if desired
                        Freshly ground pepper
                        Freshly grated nutmeg, pinch

In a large (I mean really f@cking large!) bowl combine the cheeses, cornstarch, and Rifle and toss to coat. Rub the inside of a heavy saucepan with the garlic and discard the garlic. Add the wine and CLP and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the cheese mixture gradually over moderate heat, stirring until smooth.

Stir in the kirsch, if desired. Season with pepper and nutmeg. Simmer mixture for 2-3 minutes and transfer to a fondue stand set over a low flame. Serve immediately, taking care to remember to continually stir the fondue and retract the charging handle to prevent mixture from separating.

Yield: serves 40-60
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a model 1750. Excellent product.

The ebay price is good just make sure it comes with foam.

Much easier cutting the foam. I have heard of freezing the foam before cutting but not cooking you AR.

MT
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 on the mention of Starlight cases--Sam's had them earlier in the year--some had them for $48 I think.  I bought 5 or 6 for $6x a piece and sold all but one on ebay.  I made enough that the one I kept was free.

'Free' that word has significance:  My case is 'free' of an AR dangit!!  

[prayerful] All I want is a lower to build my perfect rifle [/prayer out]

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I was at the Jacksonville gun show and picked one up the new size 1720. My ar10 fits perfect in it
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

- BG

Somebody recently talked of baking on the camo finish on their whole upper, and seriously asked if including their Aimpoint in the baking process would be ok. Don't know if the fool did it or not.

Quoted:
I didn't want to share this with you all yet, but since someone brought it up:

AR15 Fondue:
<SNIP>
Stir in the kirsch, if desired. Season with pepper and nutmeg. Simmer mixture for 2-3 minutes and transfer to a fondue stand set over a low flame. Serve immediately, taking care to remember to continually stir the fondue and retract the charging handle to prevent mixture from separating.

Yield: serves 40-60

Are you the mother of the Beagle Boys from the old Duck Tales cartoon that used to be on TV?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Pelican case. It was kinda expensive tho. IIRC it was about $6500.00...!
But it did come with a free M82A1 and 4 mags...!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I use starlights here, I got 2 NIB ones I'll sell one day probaly,

I also got one that I dont know who made it, waterproof size of a starlight and $20 at a yardsale
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one and I really like it
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#23]
i've got a starlight that i like alot
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm really happy with my Starlight case.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#25]

DVD Tracker, what is that all over your rifles and case?  Dust?  Flour?

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:56:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Looks like sand.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes the guy did bake the aimpoint.

According to aimpoint their scopes can handle upto 170deg IIRC.

Baking at 140 - 150 is safe if done in short time frames like 30 min.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Who here actually has a Pelican case?

DAMMIT BOYS! Haven't you heard of Pelican's patented "Pick and Pluck" foam?

It comes in almost EVERY Pelican case (I've got at least a dozen of them at the office with all sorts of electronic equipment, RF Spectrum Analyzers, TDR's, laptops, cameras, lenses, etc) The foam is pre-perforated into 1/4" sections for easy custom fitting to whatever sizes you want to store.

AND if you HAVE to cut foam (Starlight cases or others that are not pre-cut) for GOSH sakes use an electric knife like your wife uses to carve the turkey with.)  It will make a smooth and straight cut instead of hacking at it with an exacto knife. Turn your sheet of foam upside down and place what you want to store in the opposite direction of the way you want it to look (mirror image) then trace around it using a straight edge where necessary and with a piece of chalk or tailor's soap marker. Then use an electric knife to cut the foam with and take your time to do it slow and right.

I've been diong this for about 20 years, trust me on this one, please don't heat your equipment!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:02:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It comes in almost EVERY Pelican case (I've got at least a dozen of them at the office with all sorts of electronic equipment, RF Spectrum Analyzers, TDR's, laptops, cameras, lenses, etc) The foam is pre-perforated into 1/4" sections for easy custom fitting to whatever sizes you want to store.

AND if you HAVE to cut foam (Starlight cases or others that are not pre-cut) for GOSH sakes use an electric knife like your wife uses to carve the turkey with.)  It will make a smooth and straight cut instead of hacking at it with an exacto knife. Turn your sheet of foam upside down and place what you want to store in the opposite direction of the way you want it to look (mirror image) then trace around it using a straight edge where necessary and with a piece of chalk or tailor's soap marker. Then use an electric knife to cut the foam with and take your time to do it slow and right.

I've been diong this for about 20 years, trust me on this one, please don't heat your equipment!

The Pelican rifle cases don't have the 'pick and pluck" foam. You have to cut the foam to fit. The best way I've found to cut it is with an electric carving knife (plus, it keeps the whole baking/boiling/cooking/kitchen theme alive).

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Dont use pluck-and-whatever foam for firearms! Its not stiff enough, your weapon will move too much in transit, you want the conventional foam (or the upgraded closed cell foam) that has to be cut with a knife.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Here is my Cat taxi ,Pelican 1720
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

My Starlight cases came with one of those retractable razor knives.  Makes quick work of the foam, no "foam confetti" (that I'm sure you'd get with a serrated knife), and works very well.  I agree with the previous poster that pick and pluck seems kind of wimpy.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a Pelican for my cameras but still using the cheap Doskocil for the guns, The guns are a bit more durable and I don't carry my guns in a case but in a holster
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Recent trip to Colombia?
 just kidding!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got both a Pelican 1750 and a Starlight double rifle case and IMHO, both are very nice but the Starlight is better.

Top half.

Bottom half.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top