Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 2:51:38 PM EDT
I've decided to get an FAL. I live in central Ohio, and I'm what you might call "price conscious", so I've decided that Ohio Rapid Fire is the place for me. I just called them and they said that they have a carbine in stock (18" barrell). I had originally planned to get a standard model for the longer barrell (21"), but they said it would be up to a month before they have them. My question is: what/how much do I lose by going with the 18" vs the 21"? What is the normal acceptable maximum effective range of each?

Thanks for any and all useful replies.

(I posted this on the FAL board, but there've been no replies)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've decided to get an a FAL.

Oh oh oh! My first grammar nazi episode!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The FAL-Files is really where the expertise is on this subject.
But you don't lose much with the 21" to the 18"
I got an 18" FAL myself.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I doubt it makes much difference in 7.62. The FAL's effective range is limited by what you can hit with it, and that'll be the same at least with open sights.

The FAL is not a precision rifle, although I've gotten some excellent groups (MOA) out of mine with irons and surplus ammo no less, scope mounting is difficult and it's really not designed for that role.

The 7.62 is basically limited only by the range at which it goes subsonic, which destabilizes the bullet and ruins accuracy. Either barrel length is going to put that out 700 meters or more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Go for it, you won't be shooting 1" groups at 300 with either, so WTF. I have 16", 18" and 21" FALs. The 21" will shoot 1" at 100.  The others are for fun and I haven't tried to group em with the 21", that might be something to do this weekend.

BTW, I mislead you, they're all for fun, right now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
ORF is great people to deal with, and they produce top quality arms. FAL's mostly came with 21" or 17(+)" barrels, however 18" is a very common civilian length.

-think you can get just one....?Check out falfiles.com
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, you lose.  He has it right.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The FAL is not a precision rifle, although I've gotten some excellent groups (MOA) out of mine with irons and surplus ammo no less, scope mounting is difficult and it's really not designed for that role.

I plan to get a bracket and mount a scope, so I'd like something that can reach out pretty far.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless I'm a moron, I don't remember the last time I've ever correctly used "an" in front of a word or acronym beginning in a consonant. I haven't written a paper in about  a year though, so I could just be retarded.

Oh, in honor of your avatar: "The innocent shall suffer - big time."
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I still think an 18" barrel will give you all the velocity you need to reach out to the actions potential, go for it. My 21" FAL is LONG, too long really, I need a shorter stock on it, SA stocks are made for giants.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless I'm a moron, I don't remember the last time I've ever correctly used "an" in front of a word or acronym beginning in a consonant. I haven't written a paper in about  a year though, so I could just be retarded.

Oh, in honor of your avatar: "The innocent shall suffer - big time."

Please stop hijacking my thread.

For the record, I'm getting an EFF-AY-ELL.  It does not rhyme with "shall".
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Please stop hijacking my thread.

For the record, I'm getting an EFF-AY-ELL.  It does not rhyme with "shall".

Haha sorry for the threadjack. I'm interested in this thread though, I'd love a FAL myself. And I pronounce it rhyming with "shall"
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a DSA STG58A earlier this year. It has the DSA scope mount and a Springfield 1st Gen 14x combat scope on it. It has the 21" barrel and bipod. The scope mount is the entire upper reciever so the scope really stays put. When I sighted it in I had blood dripping off my forehead and nearly ruined my glasses  before I got the scope set far enough forward. If you get a scope you most likely will need a cheekpad, while not as high as on a AR15 its still up further than a normal cheekweld position. The gas system is great, is as easy as a AR15 to disassemble and clean, magazines are cheap, and are really a lot of fun to shoot.

rk
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I got a DSA STG58A earlier this year. It has the DSA scope mount and a Springfield 1st Gen 14x combat scope on it. It has the 21" barrel and bipod. The scope mount is the entire upper reciever so the scope really stays put. When I sighted it in I had blood dripping off my forehead and nearly ruined my glasses  before I got the scope set far enough forward. If you get a scope you most likely will need a cheekpad, while not as high as on a AR15 its still up further than a normal cheekweld position. The gas system is great, is as easy as a AR15 to disassemble and clean, magazines are cheap, and are really a lot of fun to shoot.

rk

Were you able to get the scope far enough away while still staying within the eye relief?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't get a Hesse!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Don't get a Hesse!

What's that?  A brand of FAL?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to the FALfiles they are the guru's you seek.
I built a para here a few weeks ago and absolutly love it. All in all it cost  me about 750 to build but in a great rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Go to the FALfiles they are the guru's you seek.
I built a para here a few weeks ago and absolutly love it. All in all it cost  me about 750 to build but in a great rifle.

Where did you get the para parts from?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't get a Hesse!

A company that made FALs, they are now called Vulcan Arms.

Horrible quality control. You can probably find a picture of one blown up online.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't get a Hesse!

Hesse is an arms manufacturer, receivers, and parts also. Usually hear bad reviews on all of Hesse products, I won't buy one. Seen a Hesse HK blow the mag out the bottom of the receiver and damn near put my buds eye out in the process. Steer clear of Hesse.  

Look for the Imbel receivers and the Austrian parts kits, Steyr barrels. I have several kits in excellent condition for sale if you are interested.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a Hesse FAL and it was a piece of crap.  But the FAL is a great design and you'll be very happy with an ORF-made one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top