Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 1:40:30 PM EDT
I got home about 45 minutes ago.  As I was coming up the street toward my house (about 17 mph, with "Mustang Sally" playing in my head and my groove thang on), I saw a quick flash of something tan pop out from behind a parked truck at the front right corner of my car, and immediately heard a heavy "thunk" that hit on the right front corner and bounced under the car, accompanied by squealing.  I stopped immediatey and got out, in time to see my next door neighbor run across the street behind me and into the back yard of the house across the street.

My neighbor had opened the side door and her 8 month old yellow lab bolted, running down the yard full speed and out into the street from behind a parked truck......right into my right front tire!

My neighbor says she saw the dog rolling under my car after the hit, then she got up and ran to the backyard of the house across the street, which is where the mama dog is located.  She fetched the pup and we checked her over.  Not even a scratch!!!!!!!!  But she gets real nervous now when a car comes by!!!  She is out playing in the yard now.  Now that's lucky!!!!!  I am sure glad the dog is ok!  Boy did I feel like crap....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Like kids puppies bounce well and are rubbery.  Most likely he hit the tire head on and didnt get rolled over.  He is lucky.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You're lucky. My 125lb shepherd mix t-boned a '76 Datsun and caused about $300 in 1976 dollars damage to the car. My dog was fine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Phew - that WAS lucky.  Sounds like puppy learned a valuable lesson about playing with cars!

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Two things I'm terrified of hitting, dogs and motorcycles.

I don't have kids so I don't really identify with hitting them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Whew thank god the pup was alright.  You need to have a beer now and relax.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#6]
That's odd.  

ABout an hour ago, I cam within a foot of nailing my neighbor's mutt.....dammitt!

They let that thing shit all ove rmy lawn.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
My neighbors dog bolts out and chases my truck about 3 times a week in the morning on the way too work.  It's only a mater of time.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
<snip>
But she gets real nervous now when a car comes by!!!  
<snip>

BAWAHAHAHAHA!  

I bet she's skittish around cars now!  Good thing she didn't die learning that lesson!  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
You and the pup were real lucky

Couple years ago I ran over a dog not too far from my house (out in middle of nowhere) in a middle of a rain storm.  Damn dog ran out from the woods right in front of my car  The dog was in real bad shape and was in no condition to be fixed... basically he was just minutes away from death.   I didn't want the dog to suffer so I took out my pistol and shot it in the head  
I covered the dog in a towel and buried it in the woods next to the road.  

I felt like shit for couple weeks after that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I hit a dog once going 60mph, I felt like shit because I saw the dogs face right before I hit the poor thing.  I will never forget the terrified face on that dog.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]
We've been on the "other" side of this. When we moved into this house our Lab would get under the fence and roam the neighborhood whenever the house was empty.  My wife doesn't work so she would only be gone for an hour or two to go shopping or whatever and Lady would get out.

One day "Lady" got out and got hit by a pick-up. Nothing too serious, but she still has a little limp when it gets cold.

I could leave for a month and leave the gate open and "Lady" won't even think of going outside the fence now.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a Cat & a Dog last year at the same time .  Nothing I could do , the Dog was chasing the Cat
and they shot out of a blind driveway right in front of me . I was only doing about 30 but
it was over before I could touch the brakes .  The worst part was that the asshat that owned the
Dog comes running up the driveway a split second later . Turns out he had let the Dog out intentionally
to chase the Cat out of His yard .

I was pissed , and I never lose my temper , I just told him he was a fucking asswipe and got in my car and left before I acted on the urge to have him join the road kill

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I could leave for a month and leave the gate open and "Lady" won't even think of going outside the fence now.

My wife's parents have a dog like that. The dog got hit by a car when she was a puppy. She was uninjured,  but now she has no interest in leaving the yard. If you leave the gate open she'll start shaking and moving away from the gate.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow.........................!  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Confucius say, ""Mustang Sally" playing in my head and my groove thang on" and driving do not mix.  

Some people should not multi-task.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#17]
screw that! I think your neighbor owes you a six pack for not keeping her mutt in the yard!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Didn't kill it?  You must not be a cop. Security guard maybe, but not a real cop!

Seriously, bummer about hitting the dog.  My best friend's brother killed his niece's lab puppy.  Still bugs him. Glad you just give Fido a scare.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Confucius say, ""Mustang Sally" playing in my head and my groove thang on" and driving do not mix.  

Some people should not multi-task.

You don't know how close to home you are with that one!  All my friends tease me, because I can play drums like crazy, but I can't walk and chew gum at the same time without tripping on myself......

In this case, there was nothing I could have done differently.  I was one house from mine, and driving in a straight line.  It was over before I could even flinch.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Good thing the dog's ok!! Just check in about an hour for a hard belly that could indicate she's got internal injuries.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
screw that! I think your neighbor owes you a six pack for not keeping her mutt in the yard!

She offered me Leinie's Amber Bock for "not killing my dog!".  I turned it down....I told her that have Leinie's Berry Weiss in the fridge and would rather have that!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Not to be a dick by any means, but thank god it wasn't a kid. Next time just be a little more careful.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I saw a dog get run over by  a dumptruck one day....

The lady let her dog out of the house, it was a smalldog, about 20lbs, and it bolted right for the street, under the dumptruck, I was behind, it cleared the front tires, but when the dog tried to double back, the double rear wheels, sqished it, all I heard was yelp, and that dog got flipped under the wheels of that truck, and that is the end of that doggy....

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#24]
hope the dog is okay but stupid owners need to leash their dogs
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll bet you were feeling this when you found out the dog was ok:

WHEW!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Not to be a dick by any means, but thank god it wasn't a kid. Next time just be a little more careful.

Me:  operating in a straight line, 17 MPH, in a 25 zone, and most people rip through here about 30-35.  I WAS paying attention, note that I caught a glimpse of the dog before it ran under the car, but it happened literally faster than I could even form a mental command to hit the brakes.  

Dog: running full blast from behind a parked car and under my moving car in less than 1/2 second.  

Dog or kid...I have two question:

1.  Define "more careful", than looking forward, paying enough attention that I did see the dog for a millisecond in my peripheral vision, and operating 17mph in a 25mph zone.

2.  How is being "more careful" than what I was, going to eliminate a dog or child from shooting out from the sidewalk and under my moving car?

Please, enlighten me......I am anxiously awaiting an answer as I really thought there was nothing I could do and I was operating responsibly.  If I can do something better, I am always up for it!!!  Waiting................  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'll bet you were feeling this when you found out the dog was ok:

WHEW!!

You got that right!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Where you at in WI? I'm in GB. I prefer Honeyweiss.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

A few months ago a dog ran out in front of me while I was on my motorcycle.  It caught the left side of my bike.  Ended up getting killed (the dog, not me).  Owner comes out and says, "Third time this year.  No more dogs."  Then he just drags it off into the gutter.  Just then a deputy drives by and I tell him what happened.  All he said was he would call animal control to come pick it up.
I was pissed for two reasons:  one being the stupid owner of this dog and his non-caring attitude and two, I could have been hurt had I gone down.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Betcha that taught Sally something.  My brother's dog had the same experience as a pup.  She survived and lived to the ripe old age of 14.  From that unpleasant experience, she learned to look before she crossed any street.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me:  operating in a straight line, 17 MPH, in a 25 zone, and most people rip through here about 30-35.  I WAS paying attention, note that I caught a glimpse of the dog before it ran under the car, but it happened literally faster than I could even form a mental command to hit the brakes.  

Dog: running full blast from behind a parked car and under my moving car in less than 1/2 second.  

1.  Define "more careful", than looking forward, paying enough attention that I did see the dog for a millisecond in my peripheral vision, and operating 17mph in a 25mph zone.

2.  How is being "more careful" than what I was, going to eliminate a dog or child from shooting out from the sidewalk and under my moving car?

Please, enlighten me......I am anxiously awaiting an answer as I really thought there was nothing I could do and I was operating responsibly.  If I can do something better, I am always up for it!!!  Waiting................  

Still waiting......................
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier single cab 2WD.  I ran over may dad's neighbors dog 3 years ago.  the right side front tire went completely over the dog (a cur dog for all you East Texans).  That shiteater still lives today and still runs me.  I can't believe that dog lived.  Don't get me wrong, I certainly brake for dogs.  My beloved Gunny, the Dachshund, got run over and it broke my heart.  Bottem line, it was my fault for letting him out.  I now have a fence so Chesty, the Dachshund, doesn't get run over.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's a troll. Ignore him.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes what he said it could have been a cop trying to shoot that dog also!!!!

WWHHOOTTT  Lucky him no cops were trying to blast that pup when he drove by!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#36]
So your Karma finally ran over the neighbors Dogma...

Glad to hear the pup was ok.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow, I'm glad for you. I know I'd feel like shit if I killed a neighbors dog. I came across a dog that had been hit, and left in the road last week. There was about a 40 foot blood drag mark up to were he was lying. I called animal control and went and found the owner because its my nieghborhood. I was kinda pissed that somebody would run over a dog and leave it there. So this dog laid in the road for about a half hour before animal control came, and then they said it would be put to sleep tomorrow. The lesson I learned is next time I'll just put one in its head myslef. I live in the city limits, but it's still pretty rural here, and I don't think anyone would report it anyways.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:24:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still waiting......................

You dadgummed idjit!  If you'd'a been going at the same speed God and everyone else in the county intended you to drive at, you woulda passed by well in front of that pup and never endangered it!  Drivers like you should be banned!  17 in a 25, who evah heard of such nonsense!  Blamed fool!

-----

Similar story with a worse outcome;  I was just pulling out of my driveway when a severe thunderstorm cell reached my neighborhood.  In an instant, the rain went from drizzle to coming down so hard that I could barely see, and there was lots of thunder booming.  Well, no worries, it'd pass in a minute, so I drove down the block to the main road and turned to go down the hill.  Suddenly, a medium-sized chocolate colored dog, one of those ones with the long silky fur, came FLYING across the road right in front of me.  I hit the brakes and barely missed clipping the dog by inches.  I stopped and turned around at the next intersection and drove back up the hill to see if I could catch it or something, and found it and the driver who hadn't managed to avoid it in the other lane.  Poor dog was gasping and obviously not going to make it.

By that time, the storm cell had already gone past -- maybe five minutes total -- and it was barely drizzling.

There must have been a cop waiting in the park right where it happened, because she was already on scene.  She asked me what my involvement was, I told her, and went on to my friend's place.  No idea what they did with the dog.

A couple of days later, I saw a house with a large dog pen on its front lawn, with a "for sale" sign taped to it.  I'm sure they were the ones who lost the dog.  Poor thing must have been terrified by the thunder, somehow bolted its pen, and ended up on someone's bumper.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:11:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Wow, I'm glad for you. I know I'd feel like shit if I killed a neighbors dog. I came across a dog that had been hit, and left in the road last week. There was about a 40 foot blood drag mark up to were he was lying. I called animal control and went and found the owner because its my nieghborhood. I was kinda pissed that somebody would run over a dog and leave it there. So this dog laid in the road for about a half hour before animal control came, and then they said it would be put to sleep tomorrow. The lesson I learned is next time I'll just put one in its head myslef. I live in the city limits, but it's still pretty rural here, and I don't think anyone would report it anyways.

Between this and the guys who beat an animal to death with a shovel, I just have to ask: don't any of you guys carry knives?

Cutting the animal's jugular vein or carotid artery is one hell of a lot more humane than beating it to death with a shovel, and will be both quieter and better tolerated in urban areas than shooting it in the head with a 9mm or .45 or even a .22LR.  I don't leave home without my Swiss Army knife in my pocket;  it's opened beer bottles, cut open plastic bags, fixed loose door handles, and even allowed me to give a pen to my manager during a meeting when he'd forgotten his -- I just pulled out the little pen from the side of the knife and took my notes with that for the next two hours.

Would you rather that Fluffy had her throat slit while someone was petting her in her final moments, or that the last thing Fluffy saw was a guy whacking her with a shovel?

ETA: oops.  Looks like there is a second, very similar thread in which the shovel incident took place.  Summary:  two TexDOT workers finished off an animal which had been left crippled on the side of the road by hitting it in the head with a shovel.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=280375
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top