Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 1:10:40 PM EDT
Mississippi Officer Recovering From Shooting

Associated Press

ABERDEEN, Miss. (AP) -- The family of an Aberdeen police officer says he has no feeling below the waist after a weekend shooting.

Cpl. James Johnson, 45, was shot in the right shoulder Saturday night after a struggle at the Aberdeen Police Department with Jeremy Davis of Amory, police said.

Davis, 23, was charged with aggravated assault of a police officer, aggravated assault manifesting in extreme indifference to the value of human life, possession of a firearm by a felon and burglary of a dwelling.

He is being held in jail on a $2 million bond.

According to police reports, Davis, who was being booked for driving under the influence, grabbed Johnson's gun and shot him. The bullet missed the protective vest Johnson was wearing.

"The bullet went in the right shoulder and went down his back,'' said June Roebuck, the officer's sister. "The bullet lodged in the bones that surround the spinal cord.''

Roebuck said her brother was moved out of the intensive care unit at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle in Columbus.

"They put him in a room, but he still doesn't have feeling from the waist down,'' she said. "They're waiting for the swelling to go down.''

Johnson, a five-year veteran of the department, had retired from the U.S. Army and the National Guard before joining the department.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
To bad that criminal POS couldn't of been taken out by officers coming to assist.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]

It sounds like it might not be a severed spine, perhaps the swelling and trauma have caused the (hopefully temporary) paralysis?

Shooting another man (cop or not) over a DUI?  What a scum sucking lowlife.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Heard on a LEO message board that he has a decent chance at making a full recovery.  Spine was not severed but is swelled up right now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Hope he makes a full recovery.  When I lived in MT there was an officer chasing a guy accused of writing bad checks.  The guy turned and fired a shot, hitting the officer in the shoulder I think, and the bullet went into his neck.  He ended up being completely paralyzed.  The scumbag also came up and took the officer's gun after shooting him.  Being paralyzed is one of the worst things I think can happen to a person.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Hope he is OK.

It is saddening to hear of criminals doing heinous things such as this.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#7]

aggravated assault manifesting in extreme indifference to the value of human life

I've never heard that one before.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

aggravated assault manifesting in extreme indifference to the value of human life

I've never heard that one before.

Nor I.

Thoughts and prayers to the officer and his family.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I pray that the officer will recover fully.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in south MS.  I am very pro-police and it really pisses me off when people try to hurt officers.  I feel like if I was in a situation where I saw that a police officer was going to be shot, I would have that I could have the opportunity to stop the BG.  I know that I could go to court and all that, but I feel like after maybe saving an officer, the judge, jury, etc. would be on my side and find me innocent.  I think it would be worthwhile to save a life especially since I know soo many of the police officers  around here.  I hope that scum slips on a bar of soap in jail and dies somehow!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top