Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 11:10:56 AM EDT
No matter how small of a chance??

I'm worried this may set a precidence....

Why not take BUSH off the florida ballot???

They kept Nader off the oregon(?) ballots and a few others.

How can this be legal?? Isn't that STACKING the deck?

BTW i dont like Nader  but i think EVERY JOE who is brave or crazy enough to want the job and can meet
the requirements should be on the ballots and in the debates.

What is this, are we limited to TWO candidates only? if so by what law?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that you have to have enough signatures on a petition to get on the ballot in most states.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

BTW i dont like Nader  but i think EVERY JOE who is brave or crazy enough to want the job and can meet

I think you need to learn a lot more about how the system is constructed and what the LEGAL requirements and procedures are.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#3]
That MIGHT work in a country as small as Jamaica, but in the USA, you;d have over 50,000 people on the ballot.

Just doesn't work.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you need to learn a lot more about how the system is constructed and what the LEGAL requirements and procedures are.

Isn't that the purpose of this post??? Hmmmmmm??? Poke yourself in the eye.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Some of Nader's lists of signatures to get on ballots were challenged in court and shown to be false.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Essentially, the states want only credible candidates on the ballot. A credible candidate is one who can show support by major party nomination, or get significant number of signatures to show support. If you're a billionaire(Perot), you can buy your way onto ballots because you can show financial support.  You may be a great person but if you can't show you have support, why be allowed on a ballot?

Anyone can write in the local dogcatcher is they want to, but don't expect to get a lot of votes. Extra points, anyone know who Harold Stassen is?

ETA: Can you imagine the 2000 Florida vote if they had 50 Presidential candidates? They had trouble with a  handlful of candidates.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that the purpose of this post??? Hmmmmmm??? Poke yourself in the eye.

You obviously know how to use the Internet, since you are here.

Go find the answers.  I am 100% sure that the election laws of every state can be found either in state official websites, or in legal research websites.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#9]
But it's easier to ask here and you stand a real good chance of getting some really imaginative answers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The states have their legal requirements for inclusion on the ballot.  In general, they depend on how many votes that party got in the previous election, that is, how "popular" the party is.  In addition, a candidate my get on the ballot by obtaining a specified number (large) of signatures on a petition by some date deadline, again specified in the law.  The idea is to prevent a ballot from being overcrowded by candidates with very little support.  While it may be philosophically satisfying to give anyone who wants to run the right to be on the ballot, it is not very practical.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top