Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2004 10:07:05 AM EDT
I have never shot a FAL, have quite a bit of time on the AK.

The AK is a amazing rifle, very simple and very reliable. Sites kinda suck.

I want something fairly inexpensive that can sit in my truck for a year and still function. I live near the border and we have our share of problems with illegals most are just annoying but a few are dangerous and a rifle would make me feel a lot better than a pistol.

Right now I just keep my sks behind the seat, but its heavy only holds 10rds and isn't very tactical plus the trigger really sucks

Also is the FAL as reliable as a ak?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I want something fairly inexpensive that can sit in my truck for a year and still function. I live near the border and we have our share of problems with illegals most are just annoying but a few are dangerous and a rifle would make me feel a lot better than a pistol.

Right now I just keep my sks behind the seat, but its heavy only holds 10rds and isn't very tactical plus the trigger really sucks

This is like asking if a Corvett is better then a Ford Pinto....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#3]
FAL would be my choice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I live near the border and we have our share of problems with illegals most are just annoying but a few are dangerous and a rifle would make me feel a lot better than a pistol.

Damn Canadians.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I want something fairly inexpensive that can sit in my truck for a year and still function.

you, sir, need a kalashnikov!

i suggest that you fit it with the redstararms match trigger (it is adjustable as single or two-stage, adjustable for take up, pull weight and overtravel).

hey campy can you put a folding stock on a SAR? Or do they still fall under the import ban (89)

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Two different things.  The AK in 7.62X39 with a folding stock is the ultimate trunk gun.  FAL is too expensive, nice and long for such use.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Sir, please don't ever compare one to another again.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#9]
FALs can now come with folding stocks, BTW.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
FALs can now come with folding stocks, BTW.

Who is selling them?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yes you can put a folder on a SAR. they are not Romanian rifles, they are US rifles therefore the 89 ban does not apply (as long as you keep an eye on your parts count, the SAR uses a romanian butt stock).

My buddy has a norico mak90 how could I get it legal to qualify as a US rifle, oh and can you even put a folder on this weapon without much fabrication?

Doesn't a US mag count for 3 parts? (follower, tube, spring)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Mike look up at the top of the page....see where it says Ak-47? Press the little button and join the dark side.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you can put a folder on a SAR. they are not Romanian rifles, they are US rifles therefore the 89 ban does not apply (as long as you keep an eye on your parts count, the SAR uses a romanian butt stock).

My buddy has a norico mak90 how could I get it legal to qualify as a US rifle, oh and can you even put a folder on this weapon without much fabrication?

Doesn't a US mag count for 3 parts? (follower, tube, spring)

US trigger group (3 parts), buttstock, pistol grip, front handguards, gas piston, mag followers.  Mix and match as needed to win the parts count lottery!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

US trigger group (3 parts), buttstock, pistol grip, front handguards, gas piston, mag followers.  Mix and match as needed to win the parts count lottery!

ahhh its sooooooo stupid!

Take a perfectly good rifle and start messing with it to make the liberals happy.

couldn't you just say it has US parts!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If you're concerned about the SKS's weight - then you really won't like the weight of the FAL.

FALs are very reliable - but the IDF didn't consider them nearly as reliable as the Kalishnakovs in the desert.

Since you are familier with the AK and already have 7.62x39 ammo - why not go for the AK?  Just stock up on some Winchester 123gr softpoints.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I dont understand the AK haters. They are fun as hell, and they are cheap. What is wrong with that? No one expects match accuracy. They go bang almost every time. Plus, nothing looks more evil than a Krinkov with its stock folded....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd go with the AK. I don't have much experience with the FAL, but based on price alone, any decent model would be far too nice to leave lying around in a truck.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#21]
What kind of range are you talking?

Ak will do most anything you need in moderate ranges.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Also the the FAL is 2-3X the $ of the AK.  Is it 2-3X better?  Doubtful.

It sounds like an semi-auto AK variant is what you are looking for.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#23]
If you're looking for something cheap to keep in a truck, don't forget the SKS.  But if you want more firepower, then I'd go AK.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#24]
In the greatest of ARFCOM traditions...Get Both!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I want something fairly inexpensive that can sit in my truck for a year and still function.

you, sir, need a kalashnikov!

i suggest that you fit it with the redstararms match trigger (it is adjustable as single or two-stage, adjustable for take up, pull weight and overtravel).

If you want something that will fire everytime you squeeze the trigger then the AK47 is the one!

CampyBob is the man to ask when you want to know Kalashnikov!

A good AK is cheaper than a good FAL and the 7.62 x 39 ammo is almost 1/2 as much as the 7.62 x 51.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm just wondering why BigDozer66 has my rifles...

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#27]
the ak is MUCH easier to get in and out of a vehical with. you can get it out the window alot faster too. vulcan arms makes a kit to add an m-4 stock kit, as well as rails to replace the front upper hand guard. i grew up in south texas and an iron sighted full stock ak with an after-market trigger is my choice for a truck gun.

also, i carry 30 round mags I but keep a 20 rnd in the weapon so it hangs up less. you can also get lower to the ground with it, a major plus when you run up against the "mules" that are packin. if your place is know as being open to traffic, you'll see the drug runners eventually. when this happens, somthing quiet with a NV scope on it will come in handy.
30cal
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Two different things.  The AK in 7.62X39 with a folding stock is the ultimate trunk gun.  FAL is too expensive, nice and long for such use.

We have identical tastes in "cargo"
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm just wondering why BigDozer66 has my rifles...

www.supercharger.net/private/isrealilb2.jpg
www.supercharger.net/private/stg.jpg
www.supercharger.net/private/Type56-2.jpg

Where's your G1?

Great minds think alike!

Nice collection of fine machinery David!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Where's your G1?

Four parts kits from the original TAPCO  sale are sitting in the basement. One of these days I'll get around to building one of them

I do also have this one:

And I'm picking up an Australian L2A1 this evening.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/AK47underfolder2.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/IzzyLBLeft1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/FALLeft1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/DSASTG581.jpg

BigDozer66

BigDozer, what is the length of the SAR-1 with the stock folded?  In MI, a rifle less than 30" at it's shortest configuration must be registered as a pistol, and that's why I'm wondering.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#32]
FAL
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where's your G1?

Four parts kits from the original TAPCO  sale are sitting in the basement. One of these days I'll get around to building one of them

I do also have this one:

www.supercharger.net/private/israelihb3.jpg

And I'm picking up an Australian L2A1 this evening.

Sorry rascal!

I almost came up with a IZZY HB but it wasn't to be.

I have a couple kits in storage and my brother just got his put together.
I am waiting for some receivers to come along and I'll get them built.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#34]
FN PARA cures all ills.

Yes they are pricey I just built  a Para and the parts alone came up to 750.00 but I wouldnt  hesitate to pick it up and go gunnin with it, As far as a truck gun I really am not that concerned if it gets beat up a bit, I built it to use and enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#35]
ARHGHGH I am really making a habit of doing that.

Fella's this is what happens when you talk your  ol ladies into joining Arfcom. You inadvertantly help em with thier post count.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I think a good one of either one would be an excellent choice.  Good AK is lighter and cheaper to own and shoot.  Good Fal is packs more wallop.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#37]
for what you intend to use it for... get an AK underfolder. They are in style now too

get one with synthetic furniture
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
based on price alone, any decent model would be far too nice to leave lying around in a truck.

agreed.

Yup.  

The FAL is a great weapon, but I wouldn't buy anything less than a DSA (their STG58's are great rifles, and at about the price of a good AR).

And while I'd probably prefer a FAL as a better weapon for various reasons, the AK will fit your bill for much less money.

And hence you will be much less worried about how it looks after months of sitting in your trunk.

For $300-$500 it is the ideal beater rifle that will get the job done in so many ways (i.e., self defense, hunting, plinking, etc.)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Put a folder on a 5.45.  Darn near as accurate as an AR with AK 47 reliability and similarly cheap ammo.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

BigDozer, what is the length of the SAR-1 with the stock folded?  In MI, a rifle less than 30" at it's shortest configuration must be registered as a pistol, and that's why I'm wondering.

Lokt,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is 26" long when folded.

I thought someone had a barrel extension for one that had a short barrel?

I bet CampyBob would know if it exists.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
ARHGHGH I am really making a habit of doing that.

Fella's this is what happens when you talk your  ol ladies into joining Arfcom. You inadvertantly help em with thier post count.

If you do that at Gunstock bad things happen!

Ask about that over in the Gunstock forum!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I did say I was picking this up tonight, so here's a quick pic...

So now all I need is to hope that those FN HB kits make it through customs (i've pre-ordered 4) and I'll have examples of all three major FAL HB models.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I just don't see how you can get by without both of them...

Use the right tool for the right job.

You need both.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:01:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/AK47underfolder2.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/IzzyLBLeft1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/FALLeft1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/DSASTG581.jpg

BigDozer66

I think any AK with a folding stock will be under 30".  My SA85 is even with the AK74 style brake.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Lokt,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is 26" long when folded.

I thought someone had a barrel extension for one that had a short barrel?

I bet CampyBob would know if it exists.

BigDozer66

There's a stock adapter that lets you put an AR stock on an AK - www.blackjackbuffers.com/bjbcatalog5.html. I think if you put a M4 telestock on it, that'll get you the extra the 4 inches to make it a rifle while maintaining some of the benefit of a folding stock.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is like asking if a Corvett is better then a Ford Pinto....

So, when the sun is shining and the wind not blowing I want the Fal, but for the other 364 days of the year I want the AK then right?

Well hell, gimme an AK!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#47]
The FAL is better simply because I can't get an AK in CA.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Another vote for the AK. I own one of each, and the FAL is a better shooter in terms of accuracy and power, but I just can't see using one as a truck gun. The AK is cheaper, smaller, ULTRA reliable, accurate and powerful enough for most needs, and there's no heartbreak when it gets scratched up.

That said, get a FAL too, just because....
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:31:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#50]
I have two fals and an SAR2. As a truck gun I would suggest the SAR 2. Both the FAL and the AK are rugged rifles however the AK has a better track record of use and abuse type treatment. A FAL in a para model with a shorter barrel and folding buttstock is a good choice but with sand and drit abound I would suggest a AK. Finally, get both, they are excellent weapons!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top