Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 9:31:38 AM EDT
I'm left-eye dominant and have no idea why.  I only shoot long guns 'left-handed'; I do everything right-handed.  I never knew why until about 7 years ago when a friend told me that it was because I was left-eye dominant - he showed me a little trick to test it and he was correct.  After that I noticed that, while I shoot handguns right-handed, I actually turn my head farther to the right than normal and sight with my left eye.

Now for the question: was I born left-eye dominant or did I make myself left-eye dominant?
For example, the first time I was handed my official-Red-Rider-carbine-action-200-shot-range-model-air-rifle is it possible that I just instinctively put it to my left shoulder because having seen people on TV and in the movies some kind of mirror image made it seem that everyone was shooting left-handed?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm left-eye dominant. I am left-handed. I can write with either hand. I can bat either left or right.

Guess I'm wierd.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I can fix it, all I need is a pariscope, pair of panties and a humvee
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How about a blow-up doll? You need one of those, you know....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty sure I'm left eye dominant.  I know my vision is better in my left eye (slightly nearsighted, but a little more nearsighted in my right eye).  I shoot pistols and long guns right handed, and use my right eye.  On occasion, I will turn my head farther and use my left eye for pistols... not often, tho.

I am right handed and do pretty much everything right handed... Except shoot a bow.  I shoot a bow left handed and use my left eye for sighting.  It just feels right.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I already tried that; I flipped the HMMVW and had to pay for it, popped my right eye out of it's socket, and got pink eye in my left eye.  Also, I'm still left-eye dominant.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#6]
It could come from a number of things.  I'm also right-handed, left-eye dominant.  Most of the reason (that I can find) is that my left eye is stronger.  If you have corrected vision, that would explain the need to go to the left shoulder.

Or, you could be right-brained (which controls the left side of your body) and were taught that the "proper" way to do things was right-handed.

Or, you could be just a freak like me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]

+1 me too.

I'm left-handed and left-eye dominant, but do everything else (including shoot) right-handed.  Very irritating, but thank goodness for reddot optics.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I know my mother tries to discourage her grandchildren (my nieces) from using their left hands (much to the dismay of her daughter (my sister and the children's mother)).  So it's possible that she did that to me.  Then, there is, of course, the 'freak factor'.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I already tried that; I flipped the HMMVW and had to pay for it, popped my right eye out of it's socket, and got pink eye in my left eye.  Also, I'm still left-eye dominant.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#10]
For you right handed, left eye dominant handgun shooters. Try this. Instead of turning your head further to the right, hold your head straight and cant the handgun 45 degress to the left until the sights line up with your left eye. It may be helpful at first to wear an eyepatch over your right eye until it feels natural. It may even improve your accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm left-eye dominant. I am left-handed. I can write with either hand. I can beat the meat either left or right.

Guess I'm wierd.

Quoted:
I know my mother tries to discourage her grandchildren (my nieces) from using their left hands (much to the dismay of her daughter (my sister and the children's mother)). So it's possible that she did that to me. Then, there is, of course, the 'freak factor'.

You seriously need to slap your mother upside the head for doing shit like that. If your nieces are naturally left-handed, then trying to force them to be right-handed isn't going to do anything more than confuse the hell out of them. Y'know, it's not the 16th century anymore; people don't get executed for being left-handed.

Likely you were probably born left-handed and left eye dominant, and your mother insisted on forcing you into a right-handed mold, thereby creating the problem that you're having now. Quick question: when you kick a ball, is/was your natural instinct to do it with your left foot or your right foot?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Bring this thread to the competitive forum.

They'll have ALL the answers to this. Trust me on this one.

That's a VERY real issue to a lot of shooters.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I didn't realize I was left eye dominant until I started shooting.  It made a huge difference to me once I started shooting left handed.  However I am right handed in everything else I do minus a few things like brushing my teeth.

My grandmother (whom I spent a lot of time with when I was a little tyke) forced right handedness on me.  My parents were unware of some of it and couldn't figure out why I was so damn assbackwards when it came to some things that required coordination.  

I carry a pistol righty and shoot righty, but have an odd shooting style since I need to get my left eye lined up with the sights.  I've tried shooting pistol lefty and it just "felt wierd."
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I have "trained" my right eye to be dominant. I used to be left eye dominant, but no more
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Now for the question: was I born left-eye dominant or did I make myself left-eye dominant?
For example, the first time I was handed my official-Red-Rider-carbine-action-200-shot-range-model-air-rifle is it possible that I just instinctively put it to my left shoulder because having seen people on TV and in the movies some kind of mirror image made it seem that everyone was shooting left-handed?

Here are some links to dominancy.

pages.prodigy.net/unohu/dominance.htm

www.katherinebell.com/HS%20Mixed%20Dominance.htm

I haven't found any that discuss the cause of cross-laterality.

I suppose there are many things that could cause a crossover in eye dominance against the rest of your body's natural dominance. If the visual accuity in your right eye is worse than the left, your body will inherently switch your focus depending on which eye sees objects more clearly. A perpetual habit of holding your head oriented more toward one side or the other will also cause one eye to be used predominantly. Perhaps it's just genetic.

I know it can be retrained, but I suspect that if you've grown up shooting left handed, it would be more trouble that it's worth to try and switch.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't think that would have done it.  I'm also right handed, but left-eye dominant.  When I was a kid and first started using air rifles and bows, I would always shoot right handed.  I could never quite get the shots to go where I was aiming.  I didn't figure it out until a few years later.  I've been shooting lefty ever since.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have "trained" my right eye to be dominant. I used to be left eye dominant, but no more

how did you do that?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how did you do that?

pages.prodigy.net/unohu/dominance.htm#CorrectEye

If you wear contacts, leave your left contact out. Your right eye will take over. Obscure your left eye, etc. Bottom line, practice, practice, practice. The good news is, if you can overcome it, you'll be able to shoot ambidexterously. Whichever side you shoulder your weapon to, that eye will naturally take over. Of course, then you've got to work on your motor skills to hit anything.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I am totally right-handed but my left eye is domineint.  I have found this to be more common than most people beleive.  

I discovered this very early so I've always shot left-handed.  Seems perfectly normal to me now.

This "condition" was discovered by my high school shooting coach.  He had everyone confirm which eye was domineint before they tried out for the team.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm ambidex, write leftie, shoot rightie, work with some tools leftie, most sports rightie, drums rightie, but left eye dominant.

I was doing exactly what you're doing with your pistol shooting.  I was shooting rightie, but was shooting with my left eye.  Strangly enough I always shot rifle right handed with my right eye.  I forced myself to change my pistol to right eye.  It's not hard, it's mostly habit.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how did you do that?

pages.prodigy.net/unohu/dominance.htm#CorrectEye

If you wear contacts, leave your left contact out. Your right eye will take over. Obscure your left eye, etc. Bottom line, practice, practice, practice. The good news is, if you can overcome it, you'll be able to shoot ambidexterously. Whichever side you shoulder your weapon to, that eye will naturally take over. Of course, then you've got to work on your motor skills to hit anything.

Ill have to give this a try.. My eyes are very close, my right being very slightly weaker then my left. I can shoulder a rifle and shoot left handed (sights are 10x clearer) but I've managed to learn how to shoot decently right handed with pistols.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#23]
You can teach yourself to use your right eye I did it in about three sessions at the range.  just keep your left eye closesd or block its vision completely with glasses or blinders.  I am also cross dominant right handed left eye dominant left is also my strong side (weightlifting and kickboxing ) so you should be able to adapt without cocking your head to the side.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Well here's a kicker...

I am left handed (very little I can do right handed), and I am legally blind in my left eye!!!

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
For you right handed, left eye dominant handgun shooters. Try this. Instead of turning your head further to the right, hold your head straight and cant the handgun 45 degress to the left until the sights line up with your left eye. It may be helpful at first to wear an eyepatch over your right eye until it feels natural. It may even improve your accuracy.

With a proper stance (isoscelese, no weaver), you should not have to turn your head.  Bring your gun up to your head...don't bring your head to your gun.  If you practice shooting this way, then weak hand shooting becomes as easy as stronghand shooting.  I didn't believe this until I took a Blackwater course, and I after they showed me proper stance and grip, I can shoot with my left hand almost as quickly and accurately as with my right hand... (using to a two handed grip)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I am right handed but left eye dominant.  I do have a lot of medical problems with my eyes though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that would have done it.  I'm also right handed, but left-eye dominant.  When I was a kid and first started using air rifles and bows, I would always shoot right handed.  I could never quite get the shots to go where I was aiming.  I didn't figure it out until a few years later.  I've been shooting lefty ever since.

I had the same thing happen to me.  i now shoot everything lefty.  shooting the pistol lefty took alot of practice to get use to it.  

Remman
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, I could turn the pistol 45 degrees:  aawww yeah - that'll be the shiznit, Kid!  

I don't feel the need to change because it doesn't really bother me - it's just that ever since I found out I've been intrigued.  My neck isn't sore after shooting so I'm OK.

As for the kicking thing:  I've never been inclined to do anything else 'lefty'.  

And, I will slap my mother for doing that to my nieces.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Rifle and “Other” long guns I use my right eye.
Pistols I use my left eye.

Crack shooter either way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I shoot a pistol right handed, but use my left eye ...

Im right handed but whack off with my left hand ...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Rifle and “Other” long guns I use my right eye.
Pistols I use my left eye.

Crack shooter either way.

I heard about you crack shooters!!!!!

You'll shoot anyone for two vials of crack!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll do it for one!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top