Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 7:16:16 AM EDT
Ok, folks now that we are mad about those companies who endorsed Kerry, lets do something about it. One alternative to Leatherman is Schrade at www.schradeknives.com(sorry I don't know how to hot link.) I put a little post about them in the original thread but have more info now. The Schrade company makes all thier knives/tools in N.Y. state, no outsourcing to foriegn companies They also SUPPORT THE N.R.A.!! Now what we as a commited group need to do is do some research and and buy THIER products instead of Leatherman. We also need to find alternatives to the other products AND send e-mails. I've already sent an e-mail to Leatherman and Cascade Designs saying that I will no longer support them with my money and will pass the word along to my sportsman  friends. Who's with me?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Schrade is closing their doors [may have already], unfortunately.

I have the Schrade Tough Tool, and like it better than my Leatherman. I like the ergonomics, the downside is it is a bit larger.

I like the Gerber tools, and hear good stuff about the SOG but have not handled one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Gerber Multiplier.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Just when I had become convinced that I had been WRONG about Gerber vs. Leatherman all along...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been using the same multipliar for over 8 years now ad it's still going strong (less 1 screwdriver tip). I always knew there was a reason I didn't like leatherman.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Just called them , they aren't going out of business. In fact they are hiring!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a sog and love it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Wal-mart and Kmart have stuff like that but it's made in china.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a USA product , but I've been really impressed with the Victornox Swiss tools.

Or are we boycotting the Swiss too?

www.swissarmy.com
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Gerber Multiplier.

+1
Mine gets occasional use. Not as trim as a Leatherman, but definitely a solid tool.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for making this thread. I wanted to buy my brother one but now I need a good alternative.

I've used a Leatherman before but I haven't used any of the aformentionsed alternatives.  Any suggestions for a good subsitute?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I blasted them an e-mail this morning. And was waiting for a reply. Thanks for answering that!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You're talking about Schrade, right? But according to the Wall Street Journal article, they've move a lot of their manufacturing capacity off-shores.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember a few months ago a multi tool thread ran here in the GD.  I voiced my opinion about the  Leatherman Wave.  At the time I loved the thing.  Plus my son gave it to me for Christmas one year.  I carry it every day on my duty belt.  

The reason I didn't like the Gerbers is that when they first came out, when using the pliers, the handles would close and pinch your hands.  Thanks to ARFCOM I was informed that  Gerber has since changed their design and they no longer pinch your hands.  

One day while at Wal Mart, shortly after reading the above mentioned thread,  I saw the lady marking down prices on some of their knives.  With the ARFCOM discussion in mind, I asked her if they had any Gerbers that they were marking down.  Indeed she did.  I picked up a 600 for $24!!!! That was cheap!!! Sure the box was all dinged up but it was in perfect shape.  

After using the Gerber for a few months now, I like it more than the  Leatherman.  Hearing they support Kerry I most defiantly like the Gerber better!  

However, since my son got me the Wave for a gift, I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to take it off my gun belt till I retire.  

From here on out, it's Gerber for me.  The Leatherman that I have I'll keep.  I'll never get another one though!

To keep on topic, the Gerber 600 is a great alternative to the Leatherman.

Edited because I had a extra "the"
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not a USA product , but I've been really impressed with the Victornox Swiss tools.

Or are we boycotting the Swiss too?

www.swissarmy.com

+1
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gerber Multiplier.

+1
Mine gets occasional use. Not as trim as a Leatherman, but definitely a solid tool.

I've always used Gerbers, the leathermans always cut into my hand when I tried to use the plyers and were otherwise ergonomically not right for me. I have a Gerber Legend 800 series now...it does me good. Parts are also replaceable and interchangeable in it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I have three Leatherdudes but I'll not by another. Guess it's Gerbers or SOG's from now on.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 Gerber they make great tools...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top