Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 7:07:51 AM EDT
I stayed up late and watched a BBC show about the debate.  There were five Brits, who had been asked to watch the debate.  All were against Bush before the debate, but what else is new in Britain?

Only one said Kerry won the debate.  Another actually said the debate changed his mind and he now supports Bush as the better leader.  The other three said unfortunately the debate would likely win the President more votes.  One said if Kerry were running for leader of the world, he would likely have won, based upon his multilateral position.

My view is that Kerry looked like a polished debater, and he should have.  The man is a lawyer and has been in the Senate for 20 years.  I expected him to argue endorsements of soldiers whom he could not name.  That is the type of thing he did in debated against Governor Weld.  Can anyone imagine Kerry being told, "we need you" by men in arms without recruiting them into his band of Brothers?

I think the Bush campaign got much more campaign material from the debate.  Kerry's stance of using a "global position" to determine how best to wage the war on terror will haunt him, as will his inconsistent statements on the Iraq War.  His complaint about troops not having body armor will be contrasted with his flip flop vote on the 87 billion dollars.  So, my guess is the debate provided Bush with more fodder than Kerry.  That seems to be confirmed by BBC viewers.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]
BBC is supposed to be a quite good news source.  I'm going to start paying more attention to it.

I think Bush demonstrated much more substance, but lost points on style, at least among those who value a polished look.

I was watching a discussion group on one of the local NH stations and they called it a draw in terms of real impact.  Keey had the polished style, but that style doesn't appeal to a lot of folks, where Bush sounds and acts like "one of us."

Kerry's patrician voice and manner really doesn't help him with a lot of folks.   I think he's an effing ponce.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I can only imagine the damage that could have been done if Bush was a better debater....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can only imagine the damage that could have been done if Bush was a better debater....

Exactly, I just hope that they really nail Kerry on this stuff after the fact.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, that surprises me, there are some Brits that actually watch the 2am debate.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
snip
Can anyone imagine Kerry being told, "we need you" by men in arms without recruiting them into his band of Brothers?
snip

I cannot imagine any soldiers saying we need you to Kerry.  It really pissed me off when he said that.

BBC has always been a good source of World news, though I don't get them much anymore.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Funny how the media hunts around for Republicans and soldiers that supposedly aren't voting for Bush...but we never see Democrats paraded in front of cameras when they aren't voting for Kerry.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Dont let the BBC fool you.  It is still decidedly left.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I would like to know what two soldiers told him...."We need you...." while he was in Wisconsin.

I cry BS on this....just the way he said it told me it was another of his fabricated BS stories. Or maybe he has selective hearing...and what they really said was "We need you to get the fuck out of our way liberal pussy"
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#9]
He sounded alot like Dick Gephardt and his I had a friend who said this to type of stories.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Kerry IS running for Leader of the World.

In fact, he said a couple of times something to the effect that the US's job is to LEAD THE WORLD.

Huh?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#12]

BBC is supposed to be a quite good news source. I'm going to start paying more attention to it.

You will see stories on the BBC you will not see in the US news. But the BBC has become EXTREMELY left leaning biased.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

For sure.  It is left of Tony Blair.  That's one reason I was astounded by the comments.

I think the Brits nailed it, though.  Bush made points to Americans, and I think we will see the debate furnished the Bush campaign with tons of ammo, such as Kerry's requisite of having a "global consensus" before taking military action.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

BBC *spit*

I spent 7 weeks in England, I've had enough of their bullshit.

- BG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top