Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 5:35:08 AM EDT
What is your thoughts on why people don't vote?  I was reading an article that stated over 40 million women did not in the last election.  Young persons fill the majority too.  My thoughts are that it's pure laziness, not wanting to make the extra stop, wait in another line...etc.  
What say you good people of AR?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally encourage everyone not to vote.  I tell them that their vote does not matter and will not change anything.  It is a waste of time, and they are stupid for even considering it.
That way my vote is worth more.  My plan is to make me the only voter in America.

When that happens, we will all live in Wedgetopia, or maybe Wedgemerica.

eta - Get out the Vote. Keep in the Vote
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#2]

I ignore the opinions of anyone who doesn't vote.  If they aren't going to back up their words with even this smallest of deeds, then what do I care what they think?

I tell myself that people who are too lazy to vote would most likely support the left anyway, so it is best that they stay home on Election Day.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#3]

That way my vote is worth more.  My plan is to make me the only voter in America.

Wedge, you slay me.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Alot of it is apathy and plenty just flat out believe their vote doesn't matter.

I am glad, as well, that many don't vote. There are plenty of people who are not well enough informed or smart enough to make an educated, well though out decision.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Laziness is certainly a big factor, but I think the growing trend is that people really do feel like their vote doesn't matter.

I hear it from all sorts of people whose only understanding of the election process comes from what they her on TV.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I've told people in discussions online...

PUT YOUR VOTE WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS

If you don't vote, you don't have a right to bitch about it.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Compulsory voting here .  Anyone who doesnt vote either has a DAMN good reason or had to pay a fine.

If they dont vote I reckon they are a lazy bludger
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I personally encourage everyone not to vote.  I tell them that their vote does not matter and will not change anything.  It is a waste of time, and they are stupid for even considering it.

Maybe I will call it Wedgeastan.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]

And would this be the land of Prez and 1st Lady Wedge, or King and Queen?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:12:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it is in part lazieness, and not really knowing who they support. Politics aren't covered in highschools very well (at least in my area), so exactly who are the 18yr. olds fresh out going to vote for?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I don't want either.   I just want to be the lone voter.  We will put a name change to a vote and since I am the voting public I figure it won't be that hard to change the name.

Maybe Wedgeonesia.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I think before the last election, some people were lazy or apathetic. This one will be different.  Marion County, (Indianapolis) has more voters registered than ever before and it's only October 1st.  I look for the biggest turnout in history this November.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Conservatives are more likely to vote then liberals. This is why you see the more liberal people encoraging people to vote more. Lazy people like Democrats, don't encorage them

-- Radical Centerist.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:33:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I think too many ignorant people vote.  IMHO, people who don't have any idea of what the issues are or what is going on in this country and the world should stay home.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#16]
If they aren't paying attention, I don't really want them voting anyway.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I hate to say it, but 40 million women and a bunch of young punks not voting is a concern how?  If they can't get their heads out of their asses and find their way down to the polling stations, I don't think they really matter.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't want either.   I just want to be the lone voter.  We will put a name change to a vote and since I am the voting public I figure it won't be that hard to change the name.

Maybe Wedgeonesia.

How, exactly, does this differ from a dictatorship?

And Mrs B will give you a run for your money.  She doesn't want to be Queen, or Dictator.

Empress will do, or something with "Imperial" in the title.  (FWIW, she HATES the Imperial Death March.)

Here's the top ten (of a much longer list) things you must do once Wedgietania is established.

1 My Legions of Terror will have helmets with clear plexiglass visors, not face-concealing ones.

2 My ventilation ducts will be too small to crawl through.

3 My noble half-brother whose throne I usurped will be killed, not kept anonymously imprisoned in a forgotten cell of my dungeon.

4 Shooting is not too good for my enemies.

5 The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

6 I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.

7 When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No." and shoot him. No, on second thought I'll shoot him then say "No."

8 After I kidnap the beautiful princess, we will be married immediately in a quiet civil ceremony, not a lavish spectacle in three weeks' time during which the final phase of my plan will be carried out.

9 I will not include a self-destruct mechanism unless absolutely necessary. If it is necessary, it will not be a large red button labelled "Danger: Do Not Push". The big red button marked "Do Not Push" will instead trigger a spray of bullets on anyone stupid enough to disregard it. Similarly, the ON/OFF switch will not clearly be labelled as such.

10 I will not interrogate my enemies in the inner sanctum -- a small hotel well outside my borders will work just as well.

Rest of 'em HERE
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What is your thoughts on why people don't vote?  I was reading an article that stated over 40 million women did not in the last election.  Young persons fill the majority too.  My thoughts are that it's pure laziness, not wanting to make the extra stop, wait in another line...etc.  
What say you good people of AR?

Laziness. Disillusionment. Ignorance. Too stupid to figure out how to register AND actually make it to the correct polling place on time.

I've NEVER had to wait in line to vote. It's always been a quick stop for me, and I get my little sticker.

I'm with Wedge. From now on, I'm going to encourage everyone to NOT vote.

"Vote?! Why the hell would you want to do that? Stay home and watch MTV. Voting is just a scam run by the man to get you away from your bong."
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#20]
What kills me is the number of Military members who don't vote.

ETA: I'm going to keep voting Wedge, unless you give me a high level position in your new country.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What kills me is the number of Military members who don't vote.

ETA: I'm going to keep voting Wedge, unless you give me a high level position in your new country.

Which position would you like?

Secretary of kicking ass
or
Minister of keeping Europe in line

BlammO is already my adviser on energy conservation (he has some very revolutionary ideas, that we feel can take my energy camel powers to a new level)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top