Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 12:07:53 AM EDT
I Love my Austrian Pony (KTM 450 EXC dirt bike). Given that, and a new JD jetting kit which seemed to make a new bike out of her, I ended up blipping the throttle when I should've just ridden through some singletrack....

The details I won't get into for the sake of my pride and ego :-). The result was roadrash (gravel/dirt/rock/root) and possibly a sprained wrist (we'll see).

So as part of my 'after actions analysis', I've discovered a section of my butt down the back of my leg that was unprotected by body armor. Soon to be remedied, I guarentee it. If I could buy an emperial stormtrooper suit for riding I would!!

The question... How do you people treat a roadrash? I usually just slather it with Neosporum and drink a lot for a few days :-). Okay, neosporum and lots of IB Profen (then the booze - my liver can take it dammit!!! :-]). How about you? Give up your roadrash remedies!!

By the way, I'm going riding again very soon.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread is worthless.....

Oh, wait a minute. It's in proximity to your ass.

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm out with a sprained ankle. XR600, lost the rear in a sweeping turn on grass.

When I crashed my street bike a couple times last spring I just bandaged my knees and let them heal. I hobbled for a while. I should have used Neosporin, but chicks dig scars.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Rub it down with salt.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This thread is worthless.....

Oh, wait a minute. It's in proximity to your ass.

Nevermind.

yea, you definitely don't want pics.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm out with a sprained ankle. XR600, lost the rear in a sweeping turn on grass.

When I crashed my street bike a couple times last spring I just bandaged my knees and let them heal. I hobbled for a while. I should have used Neosporin, but chicks dig scars.

It's always the simple crap that gets us.  Hardcore rutted, rooted, boulder strewn trails through trees and up cliffs, no problem.  Casual sweeping turn on the grass, or in my case, a throttle bounce over a pothole and bam!!! Neosporum and ace bandages.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ouch!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Pure grain alcohol.....pour it on, don't drink it.
Ohhhh...and a wooden dowel to bite down on.  You'll see why.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Mixed with Iodine and Lemon Juice
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:58:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Try that Nu-Skin stuff. It works well to seal the wound. Mainly, it keeps you from shrieking like a school girld when you rub up against something. The nasty part is after a few days, the wound will ooze and be trapped under the layer of nu-skin, you know the yellow stuff that is far to thin to be puss. Other than that, it is good stuff. I think it makes you heal faster too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#10]
You pussy.  Just let it go as is.  You will die or live.

If you live you will be stronger for it.

If you die....................then you should have listened to the others.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:01:30 AM EDT
[#11]
When I laid my scoot down on the streets of Oahu in 1984, I ended up with a sweet case of rash on my right side, mostly on my lower outside leg and arm.  Strange...it bled a lot more than I thought road rash would...

Anyway...the bike wasn't too badly damaged so I limped back home.  After I freaked out the missus and the kids, she drove me to the hospital.  The Navy docs, in a clear and unambiguous attempt to cure me of my riding habit, had a junior corpsman used liquid Betadine soap (a strong antiseptic cleanser) and a SCRUB BRUSH to get out all of the little rocks and dirt. from my hide.  They claimed it was to prevent infection.

Man...did that smart!

My missus was in the ER room having a ball zinging me about my riding too.  She never did like it.  When we moved back to the mainland and I sold the bike she was happy.  Now I'm too old, slow and blind to ride.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:03:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Bactine (or Bandaid brand antiseptic wash) is the unsung hero.  2% Lidocaine!

I take a little bactine towelette with me on mountain bike, road bike or motorcycle rides.

When you get the aforementioned rash.  Squeeze the bactine juice over the whole wound and wait five minutes.  The now numb wound can now be properly scrubbed, irrigated and dressed, PAIN FREE!!!

I am continually amazed at how many people do not understand the remarkable properties of Bactine followed by Neosporin.

I carry a tiny first aid kit with me almost everywhere.  It fits in a little omni seal hunting license pouch about the size of a credit card.  It contains:

1.  2 packets of 2 Advil or Aleve
2. 2 packets of Bactine wipes
3. 2 foils of Neosporin Plus
4. several fabric bandaids
5. 1 Benadryl
6. 2 Claritin or equivalent
7. cash
8.  ID
9.  Medical card and emergency contacts.

I have one in my attache, one in my enduro jacket, several mixed in with my cycling stuff, one in my shooting stuff, several mixed in with my hunting stuff...

I bought the stuff in bulk from Costco, and just assembled a bunch for about 20 bucks...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:04:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Bactine (or Bandaid brand antiseptic wash) is the unsung hero.  2% Lidocaine!

I take a little bactine towelette with me on mountain bike, road bike or motorcycle rides.

When you get the aforementioned rash.  Squeeze the bactine juice over the whole wound and wait five minutes.  The now numb wound can now be properly scrubbed, irrigated and dressed, PAIN FREE!!!

I am continually amazed at how many people do not understand the remarkable properties of Bactine followed by Neosporin.

I didnt know it had Lidocaine in it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#15]
My 18 yr old kid got a nice case of road rash and a broken bone in his foot last week doin wheelies down Lake Shore Dr. on his CBR 600. The whole right leg,thigh,hip,butt,right arm.The Neosporin worked great along with Motrin. Within a week, after he got out of the shower, the scabs pealed off in one solid sheet. Nice pink spots remain where there was rash was.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm,  a couple of things I haven't tried.

I'm just going to print this out.....

Oh yea,....

Thank You!

And keep the rubber side down.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Man, it must be the "end of the month crash season"!

I've got three guys here nursing wounds from dirt and ATV wrecks. I thought I'd get away clean this year but noooooooo, I go to put my Honda 300ex in the back of the Ford F-250 when the ramps kick out from underneath me right at the critical moment and the 300ex goes down stern first with me hanging on for dear life.

Fortunately for me, the 300ex landed on its rear grab bar, crushing it and the 300 rolled away from me sitting on my butt with a broken clutch lever in my hand. I''ve got on heck of a bruise on my ass and a nice slice on my hand.

...and it all happen in front of wife unit who is not pleased with my performance.

(you're on the right track with the road rash. But, you'll have that scar for life)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top