Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 7:22:58 PM EDT
I got into a little discussion with a brainless co-worker where she claimed that a gun in the home is more likely to kill children... The same old BS that all the sheeple are fed on TV. I've looked on NRA.org, FBI.gov, The center for desease control and many other sites but I can't find the original stats.... Only a bunch of articles but no source info. She said they were on the FBI's site... Anyway, any help in this search would be appreciated.

In addition she said that the law would not be on my side if I shoot at an intruder in my home who came at me or my family to kill or hurt them. In the next breath she states that her husband has the right to shoot because he is going to be a cop....
Here is the UT code... Can't wait to show her tomorrow.

(1)  A person is justified in using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other's unlawful entry into or attack upon his habitation; however, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury only if:
(a) the entry is made or attempted in a violent and tumultuous manner, surreptitiously, or by stealth, and he reasonably believes that the entry is attempted or made for the purpose of assaulting or offering personal violence to any person, dwelling, or being in the habitation and he reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the assault or offer of personal violence; or  
(b) he reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony in the habitation and that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.  
(2)  The person using force or deadly force in defense of habitation is presumed for the purpose of both civil and criminal cases to have acted reasonably and had a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or serious bodily injury if the entry or attempted entry is unlawful and is made or attempted by use of force, or in a violent and tumultuous manner, or surreptitiously or by stealth, or for the purpose of committing a felony.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
johnrlott.tripod.com/

his book has the explanation of the claim that you are more likely blah blah blah...

CDC did indeed have the statistics and nicely broken out by age groups.

www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

Deaths Final Data table 18

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/hmrt.htm

Use the following information at your own disgression.  It's true but tends to take the debate off into other areas that are not productive if you are simply making a firearms argument.  IMO

The demographic characteristics of homicide victims and offenders          differ from the general population
Based on data for the years 1976-2002 -
Blacks are disproportionately represented as both homicide victims            and offenders. In terms of rates per 100,000, blacks are 6 times more            likely to be victimized and 7 times more likely to commit homicide            than are whites.

Males represent three-quarters of homicide victims and nearly 90%           of offenders. In terms of rates per 100,000, males are 3            times more likely to be killed, and almost 8 times more likely to            commit homicide than are females.

Approximately one-third of murder victims and almost half the offenders            are under the age of 25. For both victims and offenders, the rate per            100,000 peaks in the 18-24 year-old age group.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top