Kerry won on style.

Bush won on substance.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Bush you silly goose
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Bush, but barely.

W, allowed Kerry to goad him into defending himself on several fronts early on. Kerry made W show more emotion than he should have.

The way to win debates with Kerry is similar to winning the war against terrorist. Stay on the offensive, do not get flustered and get pushed back on your heels.

Keep Kerry on the defensive.

Keep Kerry answering for his flipping voting record.

Keep Kerry answering questions about integrity.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey G-man. Call my cell phone tonight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I didnt watch it, I was at work.   I'll catch clips of it later
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
no big win for either, i would give President Bush the slight edge b/c he did so well in the first 20-30 min. (after which most people prob. had enough) and changed the channel

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Neither did particularly well, Bush did poorly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ewww is there something going on between you two??
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Neither did particularly well, Bush did poorly.

'Splain.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dupe.  IBTL

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its called friendship.

I highly recommned it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Kerry, even while being polished, used arguments that left him wide-f*cking-open to a bitchslapping...and Bush didn't pick up on them all the while looking befuddled at times, studdering badly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dupe.  IBTL

Mines got a more insightful, niftier poll.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#14]
BUSH!

And yes, I WILL be insufferable after the election
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Kerry, even while being polished, used arguments that left him wide-f*cking-open to a bitchslapping...and Bush didn't pick up on them all the while looking befuddled at times, studdering badly.

Bush has ALWAYS been that way.

The biotchslappfest will come in the next week or so.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Kerry actually stated that the US should GO INTO AFRICA (specifically, Sudan and/or Rwanda) UNILATERALLY to achieve stability in a war-torn and victim-ridden area.

Basically, he proposed doing precisely what he's condemning (Iraq War)!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Kerry actually stated that the US should GO INTO AFRICA (specifically, Sudan and/or Rwanda) UNILATERALLY to achieve stability in a war-torn and victim-ridden area.

Basically, he proposed doing precisely what he's condemning (Iraq War)!!!

While saying we SHOULD now go into SUdan, he also SAID OUR TROOPS ARE ALREADY OVEREXTENDED.

He said there is a Repub shadow plan to reinstitute the draft, BUT ITS THE DEOMCRATS WHO HAVE A DRAFT BILL IN CONGRESS.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Tied....Bush left a couple of opportunities on the table.  I think Kerry gave the RNC more campaign material.  This debate should not change the polls much.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Kerry could have been SOOOOOOO owned tonight. Damn, this sucks. A golden opportunity to take that f*cker and slap him silly with his own words was lost tonight.

That blows chunks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its called friendship.

I highly recommned it.

it was a joke buddy
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
.  I think Kerry gave the RNC more campaign material.  This debate should not change the polls much.

Not YET.

I think you are right - ALOT of campign material for the Bush campaign.

Kerry FINALLY clearly articulated a (somewhat insane) position on Irag.

Pretty easy to beat Kerry senseless with it.

The debate was NOT the place for Bush to hammer Kerry - would make him look petty.

Hammertime comes in the next week.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I disagree. Take that prick's own words and shove them up his ass so far they come out his mouth again.

If Bush had even moderately better skills at this, Kerry's campaign would be officially over RIGHT THE FRICK NOW.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Dont worry this only the first fight, he might have a stragedy (I hope)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#24]
we all here know what should be. but america does not (poor them) have the ARFC mentality. kerry spoke with clarity, but in NO WAY accomplished over shadowing GWB. Kerry was aparantly on the offensive through out.

GWB was straight, unshaken and direct.

GWB=  B+

Kerry= C+

that's how i saw it
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bush has ALWAYS been that way.

The biotchslappfest will come in the next week or so.

this man gets it
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Bush on sincerity. He stumbled ove that dick in his mouth a few times, but overall I think he left very little ammo for Jon Stewart and all the other sound byte vultures who circle the air above any speech he makes.

His little snippet about the little girl who's dad was killed... got me choked up.

One thing Kerry said that Bush could have responded to differently, which would have been better:

Kerry: "OBL attacked us, not Saddam Hussein..."
What Bush should have said: "If Osama attacked us he'd be part of the ashes and rubble of the twin towers. He didn't attack us directly, just as Saddam hasn't attacked us directly. They are both high profile supporters of terrorism, brutality, and hate the US and both of them, along with their followers, need to be dealt with as such... PS... BOO YOWWW!!!"

He also should have mentioned how JFK didn't attend intelligence meetings after 9/11. How JFK doesn't even know his own military record (sent to Combodia by Nixon?), using his miitary service as leverage for his campaign (even though he said he wouldn't do it) despite his integrity being in serious question...

Magic says: Kerry is gonna get bitch slapped in November.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Kerry won on style.

Bush won on substance.

+1
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#28]
If the American people have any common sense, Bush kicked his ass. Whoever thinks HorseFace was a winner tonight is an idiot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dupe.  IBTL

Mines got a more insightful, niftier poll.

Just like a Liberal,  Complicating things.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If the American people have any common sense, Bush kicked his ass. Whoever thinks HorseFace was a winner tonight is an idiot.

Not so much that Kerry won, just that they both lost and Bush looked rather awful in the process.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Dude, I think I love you!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
we all here know what should be. but america does not (poor them) have the ARFC mentality. kerry spoke with clarity, but in NO WAY accomplished over shadowing GWB. Kerry was aparantly on the offensive through out.

GWB=  B+

Kerry= C+

that's how i saw it

Unshaken? I disagree. There were times during the debate that Bush (re)acted like he had been smoking dope or was in the early stages of alzheimer's. Kerry spoke forcefully and directly, Bush was disconnected.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GWB=  B+

Kerry= C+

that's how i saw it

Unshaken? I disagree. There were times during the debate that Bush (re)acted like he had been smoking dope or was in the early stages of alzheimer's. Kerry spoke forcefully and directly, Bush was disconnected.

LOL. I have enough common sense to see through FLip-fLoPs act. You can coat a turd in sugar, but it is still a FUCKING TURD. Who gives a fuck how forceful he was? If I tell you forcefully that you are a homosexual, does that make you a homosexual?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#34]
It saddened me to see W come across so poorly.

The perception I fear many undecided voters got from tonight is that

1) Kerry has a stupid plan that constantly changes.
2) Bush doesn't have a plan at all.
3) No plan is better than none.

Remember, many people actually place VOTES on SOUNDBYTES, not reality - and unfortunately Bush lost the soundbyte battle by repeating his "It's hard work" mantra

I support President Bush and unless hell suddenly freezes over and I'm there to see it happen, I'm voting for the President in his second term.

I just hope W gets some speech pathology lessons before the next debate. I know because I had a stutter and a lisssssssssp but don't now. Practice tapes can REALLY make a difference in a short period of time.

Of course, he still has a his JOB to do too. For America's future we should all wish the President the best of luck. Remember his aides actually do read your letters as part of deciding strategy. Show support for 2nd Ammendment in any letters to the President, while also stressing that you appreciate his political prowess in NOT pressuring congress over the AWB (despite his verbal support for the stupid thing).

Just my $0.02 as a former lobbyist in DC.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#35]
see kerry sticking that pointy chin out so nicely for the right cross that's coming?  every one of W's enemies gladly does that, *every time*.  that's the guy that should run the country, he thinks ahead and allows his enemy to get complacent.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#36]
According to this Bush Won follow along and see if you agree.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Didn't realize there was an official debate thread until a few minutes ago... link
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Kerry was kicking ass until he was asked what the biggest threat facing the US is: nuke proliferation.  He's right, and it is.  but then he lambasted Bush about the US developing bunker busting nukes and sanctioning Iran and the approach towards North Korea.  He is the nuke developers' WET DREAM.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#39]
bush blew his chance to lock it up. didn't seem comfortable. shit. two more to go, he needs to do better or it'll be dead even.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I am changing my  vote to bush won. Kerry just said too many globalistic phrases that will be used against him. The Global Test will turn against him and dont forget about giving iran nuclear fuel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Bush came across like 'this is so simple I shouldn't have to explain it' and 'damn, isn't it obvious what we have to do'.  What he did not do was communicate why in terms that people who only pay attention to politics one month every four years can understand.  

He will actually do much better when the debate turns to the economy and other issues.  Better to get this one over now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#42]
W seemed tired,irritable and distracted---like something on his mind. Maybe he just got a disturbing intel report. Cheney was invited by Brokaw to comment post-debate but declined. Wonder if he was "in the bunker" tonite. Anyway all Kerry has to do is campaign/prepare for the debate, Bush has to do both plus run the country at a very difficult time. Under the circumstances, the edge to Bush, but I've seen him better. Whatever happens in Iraq, like our troops or the kids getting killed today, Bush is the kind of guy that takes the weight on his shoulders but the pain makes him more determined. He's a true leader, unlike the wishy-washy, arrogant
U.N. whore Kerry. God help us if he gets elected.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#44]
The bitchslapping has already begun...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:20:15 AM EDT
[#45]
I am of the opinion that our side lost an opportunity to pull the plug on a campaign that was already on life support. Now Kerry's campaign is breathing again.

I wish I could stand in for the president during these debates.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:39:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Kerry won on style.

Bush won on substance.

Unfortunately, Garandman, I think that in the court of public opinion, style trumps substance.  If the Presidential race were ever only about substance, Bush would be light years ahead of Kerry as of a long time ago.
I think that Kerry will regain some of the ground he has lost over the past six weeks (with two more debates) and the race will tighten.  My hope (and belief) is that it will not be quite enough to defeat President Bush who will hang on and squeek through to a second term.  I believe this race will be close.

As a post script, I'm afraid that W's performance didn't help him at all in very tight races like here in Pennsylvania.  I'm still calling PA for Kerry.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If style over substance is what really mattered, than I think Kerry would be way ahead already.  The Johns have always been the prettier candidates who spoke better... .

And they have better hair too.....  

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:55:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Just like a Liberal,  Complicating things.

I think the correct Kerry-ism is "nuance."  

Bush may not have whipped Kerry, but my thread is whipping yours.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:06:17 AM EDT
[#50]
I call it barely a draw.  Bush should have done better.  Kerry was quite annoying with his deliberate & practiced jesturing while speaking.  

Kerry danced around the only thing he has to run on....4 months of combat service.  I only recall him once saying "Viet Nam".  Bush's opportunity to slap down Kerry at that point was to say "My administration is not here to re-fight the Viet Nam war of over 30 years ago, we are fighting a war in this century and it is a war of good vs evil"

Bush has used the rope a dope for Kerry.  Kerry will believe the spin from his own people & that will be echoed in the partisan media.  In the next debate Kerry's truely arrogant self abosorbed nature will be on display.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top