Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 7:01:38 PM EDT
How do yall guys like Tony Lama boots?  Are they of good quality and durability, or are they crap?
Im looking at the "Stockman" series.  Is this series of good quality, or crap?

Thanks

Tony lama boots
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine last me about 10 or 11 years, with a sole and heel replacement every two years.  The sad part is when they get old and have the well worn looks, the parts that bend (toe joints) crack and those are irrepairable
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Would you say the "Stockman value series" is good stuff?   Their relatively low price makes me wonder about their quality.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Would you say the "Stockman value series" is good stuff?   Their relatively low price makes me wonder about their quality.

Got a link for them??  I am having trouble remembering.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Got a link for them?? I am having trouble remembering.....

Yup...here ya go.

Stockman value series
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't remember the models of mine, but they were priced the same (back in 1992).  I never polished them, wore them to work and play.  Call me crazy but I just don't believe in spending $400 on boots just on the merits of the exotic leather, unless they last me 20 years instead of 10
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Damnit the link isnt working.  $400 is way out of my price range!

The ones im looking at are on page 8, middle of the bottom row.

They look like this.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Epsilon- I've been wearing Lamas since the early 80s.  I had a pair of bullhides that lasted over 10 years.  I finally had to throw them out because the just became too ratty.

I really don't think you'll go wrong with a pair of Lamas.  Now, one day I'll upgrade to a pair of Lucchese boots, I've heard they are they tops!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Epsilon- I've been wearing Lamas since the early 80s. I had a pair of bullhides that lasted over 10 years. I finally had to throw them out because the just became too ratty.

I really don't think you'll go wrong with a pair of Lamas. Now, one day I'll upgrade to a pair of Lucchese boots, I've heard they are they tops!

Ya ive heard bullhide is just about the toughest there is.  If only I could find some bullhide boots with a roper type heel, and with a medium to high shaft.  Id be set.

I was looking at Lucchese.  But I the only ones I could find in my price range were made with python, lizard, and snake skin!  Im looking for plain cow or bull leather.  Maybe even ostrich.

I went to one store and they had EXACTLY what im looking for.  And the boot even fit me like a glove.  The only problem is that the boots are custom made, so the price is pretty damn high.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a pair of Tony Lama"s work type cowboy boots two years ago. They have held up pretty good but the heel counter inside the boot on top of the heel let go early. Not a real big deal. Overall for 90 dollars they have done well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyother opinions about Tony lama boots?
Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been wearing style 6173C Tony Lama (Cowboy Western) for over ten years now:
www.tonylama.com/boots/default.asp?sDiv=06&sGender=9&sType=189&sSubType=346&id=6173C

I love 'em!  I've had to have them re-soled once but the uppers are nicely broken in and they are extremely comfortable.  They are now due for another re-sole but I'm thinking I will just buy another new pair instead.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Dan Post makes a nice boot, not sure if they have the style you're after though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Get Justins.  Not nearly as fugly as Tony shit-kickers, and a lot cheaper to boot (no pun intended)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Lamas used to be one of the best.  I still think that they are a good boot but they are more "mainstream" and you really need to try them on.  Each boot will be a bit different and -- obviously -- everyone's feet are different.  Lama (El Paso), Leddy (San Angelo), and Lucchese (San Antonio) were the premiere bootmakers in Texas -- all got their start making boots for Army officers and NCOs.

I think that there are better bootmakers out there than Lama but there are definitely worse.  Considering the price of "off the shelf" boots, you might seriously consider getting a good custom bootmaker to make you a pair.  Boots are fit and worn a bit different than shoes and if you don't get a corret fit, they can really mess your feet up.

Having said that, I have Lamas in my closet -- one calf and one elephant.  The elephant I got as a Christmas gift in about 1972 and they still look like they are only a couple of years old.  They are hell to break in but they last forever.  My favorite Lama is lizzard.  I've had several pair.  They breathe, conform to your feet well, and look very good.  If I was going to buy an "off the rack" pair of boots, I'd go back to the Lama lizzards.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Until you have worn boots for several years, I don't recommend anyone getting a pair of handmade boots.  You have to know alot about boots to even order a pair.  

I have seen firsthand how it can be a disaster.  Plus, the good makers are running 8-24 months lead time these days.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Have not owned any, but have worn boots (mostly ropers) to work for years.  My experiance has been that justin just don't last long for me.  the liners are way too thin and the leather in the toe is dammaged way to fast as well.  even with replacing the sole and relining the heel, rarely got much over a year out of them (have had 4 pair).  finnally switched to nacona (cowboy heel, not roper) - much better boot imho.  (am on my second pair only because of time lag for first pair getting reheeled.  After 1 1.5 years of everyday wear they still looked better than 2 month old justins).
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I heartily endorse and suggest Olathe Boots.  And Chippewa.
Been wearing Olathe's for years and still love em.
They make a mule similar to the photo you posted that is a great work boot.  
I wear Buckaroos for riding.  Horse and motorsickle.
Chippewa makes some good utilitarian and tough boots.

Check out www.bootsusa.com for very good priices on Chippewas.

Olathe has an interesting site too.  www.olatheboots.com

Boulet makes a nice boot.  Canadian company that has been around awhile.

Also, and well worth the time to peruse, a fellow down in Arizona has a site called Tuscon Boots that is strictly about Vintage Boots.  He is obsessed with em and sells.  Some good stuff there. You'll have to google him.  Can't remember the URL.  I think a search for "Tuscon Used Boots" might get you there.

Also, and finally, just for a buttload of info about western boots and many links check out:

www.dimlights.com

More information than you'll need about boots.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I have alot of respect for the folks who did own Olathe Boots.

I can't say the same for the new owners.

Frankly, I have no idea why they are stilled called Olathe boots, as they are not.  They are not made in Olathe, by Kansas folks.  They are now made in TX, by people who come over the border to work.

Basically, the new owners bought the company name, and the designs, AND THAT IS IT.

I had one of the last pairs of true custom boots that the real Olathe company made.  They were built hell-for-stout.  But I outgrew them.  They were spec'd out completely by me.  And they were great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top