Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 5:57:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
How much are you looking to invest?
What are your goals?
And why do you think that this is the way to invest your money?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Well if you are buying for SHTF, why pay more for "Collector Value" mint coins, buy pure silver in whatever form that is convenient!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Agreed.  If you are investing as a hedge against economic turmoil, then focus on intrinsic value and go for newly minted US silver coins.  Should severe economic times hit, collector value will evaporate.

Quoted:
Well if you are buying for SHTF, why pay more for "Collector Value" mint coins, buy pure silver in whatever form that is convenient!

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought 10 of the used coins because they cost less and you dont have to pay sales tax on coins.

I basicly want to put my cash into something that will hold its value and possibly gain in value instead of just having it in the house or in the bank getting 2% or whatever it is.  I dont have much to invest at all.  Maybe $50 every couple weeks or so.

Difficulty as I see it is getting your money back out of it. You still have to find someone to buy it. Consider that briefly. Given the small amount that you have to invest I can understand your rationale.

Just a FWIW: Most of the major brokerage firms will let you buy and sell precious metals with them holding the actual bullion, etc.  No risk of loss from theft, and no problem moving your assets when you need to. Market value in, market value out. It is definitely the way go IMO. I am not convinced that precious metals are likely to continue to rise either. But no one can predict that for sure, of course.
Other than that you might consider other investments in the long run when you have more money. Real Estate, a stock and bond portfolio, etc.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Cheapest way is to buy it through an account, held in a vault. You can buy it by the gram, transaction costs are about 2%-3% round trip, vs. 14% roundtrip with coins.

www.goldmoney.com

BTW, if you want to protect your retirement savings from inflation, I can't think of a better way than this.  Maybe TIPS bonds.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you folks really want to buy gold & silver? At the moment they are pretty expensive.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you folks really want to buy gold & silver? At the moment they are pretty expensive.

PM's are always a safe haven in turbulent times.  Oil is at all time highs right now, over $50/barrel for the first time in history.

Even our Gov't expects a terrorist event in the days leading up to the election.

You may not be comfortable with PM's for the long haul, but I damn sure would not want much in the stock market if/when another major terrorist event unfolds.

For right here, right now, gold & silver will hold value during any major world event.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top