Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 1:21:40 PM EDT
I am interested in getting back in guitar playing again. I was able to play some back in high school (just basic stuff..power chords etc) I am able to read an understand simple guitar tabs, but thats about it. I am looking for recommendations on good placesa to look to pick up decent guitars for the best prices (interested in Gibson-les paul) And...I am really serious about this. What is the best way to learn. I learned from friends/guitar tabs years ago. Is being able to read music essential? Where is the best place to start?

thanks  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a les paul copy I'll sell ya...  Nice flamed maple top with Seymour Duncan PUs.  Hard case.  $450.   I have pics somewhere...  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
For the software:
www.power-tab.net/

For tabs:
www.powertabs.net/
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have bought 2 fine guitars off ebay, believe it or not.  My last was a pro grade LP.  If you do your reasearch, play everything you can get your hands on, and are patient, ebay has the best selection period.  IM me if you want pics.  If I have time I will post pics of my LP later.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a couple of guitars here.  They have good prices fast shipping, and escellent service

Musician's Friend
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#5]
pawn shops - musiciansfriend.com - hard up AR junkie...

I've got a Hamer Studio single cutaway, dual p90's , bookmatched maple top I'll sell you for $800 -
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I would stay away from online places...no two guitars are the same.
Its the kind of thing you need to sit and play for a while before buying.

Not sure where you are...look for a guitar center or Sam Ash in the North East....they are corporate chains, and can be really annoying to deal with...but they have a good selection of stuff to try out.

At the least, you can see what you like, then buy from a small independant dealer.

Shop around...and play often. There is substitute for repitition...even if its scales over and over again...just practice as often as the schedule permits...and the speed and riffs will come!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want a high end Paul, and you wanna buy new, I would recommend www.wildwoodguitars.com.  Also check out The Les Paul Forum for tips on which one to get!

ETA:  If you know what attributes you want, Steve at WildWood will tell you over the phone what each one is like.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am interested in getting back in guitar playing again. I was able to play some back in high school (just basic stuff..power chords etc) I am able to read an understand simple guitar tabs, but thats about it. I am looking for recommendations on good placesa to look to pick up decent guitars for the best prices (interested in Gibson-les paul) And...I am really serious about this. What is the best way to learn. I learned from friends/guitar tabs years ago. Is being able to read music essential? Where is the best place to start?

thanks  

tabs can get you pretty far... don't know if it's still around but I used to frequent the online guitar archive... used to be olga.net.. quick check... yep still there
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top