Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 12:45:34 PM EDT
I just got done killing about 20 bees that had entered my home...

I called a local bee removal service and I spoke with some Doctor who studied bees all over the world and is quite the professional according to his verbal resume' I had to listen to...

Then he says they are africanized and are starting up a hive and have sent forth scouts to "scent" the hive and those are what were in my house...After 24 hours is when they have laid the scent that can be detected 3 miles away and they settle in and make honey...

OK..I'm freaked out now....He tells me to go look outside for the hive and where they are coming in at....Yeah, right!

Then he tells me he wants about $600 to remove them after I locate the hive! WHAT?

Then my wife noticed a window open a crack that has a flowery plant outside and we see bees on it. We shut the window all the way and haven't seen a bee since..

Let's hope that was the problem..

Beekeepers, please chime in...Me and bees don't get along real well...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Just call an exterminator.  They'll hit them with sevin dust and all will be well in a few days. About a hundred bux.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Paging BEEKEEPER...Call for Mister BEEKEEPER!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Napalm should fix it,

Sorry about losing the house, but its the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I sprayed bees for the while I was in the FD. Just use soapy water it knocks them down fast and no damage to our fragile eco system ha ha. I always wanted to try a pressure washer with a soap injection system. A couple 1000 psi can be fun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#5]
GOD MAN CALL THE BEEKEEPER!!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Annarchy said she could mix you up some Tannerite.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Africanized bees are excellent honey producers.

In Ohio, we have a county bee inspector that will come and remove a swarm at no cost. I dunno about AZ though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Just call an exterminator.  They'll hit them with sevin dust and all will be well in a few days. About a hundred bux.

Now what good is sevin dust? All they do is play rock-n-roll!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#9]
my dad is a beekeeper...so lets see how much Iactually learned over the past few years...

1.  Bees don't like smoke.  Beekeepers use smoke to get the bees out of the hives when they check on them, or get the combs for the honey.

2.  Beekeepers use a beekeeping suit that simply keeps the bees from grabbing hold to and stinging, because its slick.  (I forget what it's made out of)  

3.  Don't make them mad, and your a-ok.

So if you want to get them out yourself, you can either:

1.  go to www.gabees.com/catalog/ and buy the $100+ suit

or

2.  Wear a misquito mask(not the cheap kind that touch your head, but the army surplus type that is slightly raised so the bees can't stink your head through it.  Also wear a thick winter jacket and 2-3 layers of  jeans, thick socks.  Find something that you can put some stuff in to burn.  Make sure the stuff you burn is nice and smokey.  I think old cloth works good.  While wearing your home-made beekeeping suit, smoke the bees out, and move the nest away.  

or you could find out someone local that is a beekeeper (not the big business type), and they will probly be glad to come over and take the nest away because that = free honey, which is mmmm good.  Someone called my dad once and he went over with a friend and removed a bee nest.

chicken
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a swarm setting up camp at my house.  I placed mothballs underneath the nest as per a local exterminator's direction.  A few days later, they left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top