Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 11:48:10 AM EDT
Link

Cabela's won't add weapons to inventory

By Joshua Roberts

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Apparently, selling assault weapons inside a tourist destination doesn't mix.

Corporate officials with Cabela's -- a national chain of stores selling outdoor supplies -- said this week that it's unlikely their store in the Village West entertainment and tourism district in western Wyandotte County would add any of the 19 types of semi-automatic weapons previously banned by federal law to its inventory of guns for sale.

Last week, a federal ban signed in 1994 outlawing the sale of certain military-style assault weapons expired. Congress has not reauthorized the ban as of yet.

Tom Rotar, director of retail operations for the Cabela's chain, said he's fairly certain none of the Cabela's stores, including the Wyandotte County Village West location, would be offering the weapons to customers.

"To my knowledge we've decided we're not," Rotar said.

Cabela's spokesperson Joe Arterburn said the ban's expiration would "not affect the way Cabela's does business."

"I don't really see a change in the mix of firearms we offer," Arterburn said.

He said the ban's expiration will allow those once-illegal firearms to become available on the market, but that doesn't mean Cabela's will "necessarily change our mix."

The company, with 10 locations across the country, follows all requirements governing the sale of firearms and promotes gun safety, Arterburn added.

Cabela's is one of the top tourist attractions in the state, and is located near Nebraska Furniture Mart and The Great Wolf Lodge.

Numerous studies offer no definite proof as to whether the now-extinct federal law had any impact on keeping assault weapons off the streets, and pro- and anti-gun groups argue the ban's merits as well.

Officials with the Unified Government of Wyandotte County, who've lobbied against legislation in the past that would have allowed residents to legally conceal and carry firearms, said last week they had no official position on Cabela's possibly selling the previously banned weapons.

Will the PC madness never cease?  Cabela's sells a .50 BMG upper for ARs for Pete's sake.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Cabela's sells ARs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#3]
For some reason I doubt this is much more than "media crap".  Because.. Cabela's sells Bushmaster rilfles and usually has one or two AR's in the used rack.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#4]
mine does, I'm sure if you order one they will send it to that store. At least one in the used rack and 7 on display here
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I have personally seen AK's on the rack in the Nebraska Cabelas.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep Cabelas does carry Bushmaster rifles.

Cabelas sells magazines over 10 rounds too!

CRC
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like lip service for soccer moms.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#8]
yeah really WTF are they talking about, I have seen a AK and Bushmaster's in their stores
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
you mean stock any more than they already carry........................hmmmmmmmmmmm pr at it's best......................
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#10]
All the rifles etc. that I have seen for sell are priced way to high for us Texans!

Heck we live in the land of "Great Gun Dealers"!

Viva la Texas!

I do like Cabela's and have said if they open one here close to me that I would run it for them.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Oops! I forgot to say that there is no such thing as an "Assault Weapon"!

It was just a stupid made up word for the gun grabbers to use!

Now if they were saying that they weren't going to sell "Assault Rifle's" then I would understand as there are less Class 3 dealers in the US than regular FFL dealers!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They sell Beowulf uppers out of the catalog. I think someone is fibbing a little bit, well good for them.

"we don't sell assault weapons (because there aren't any assault weapons now that the ban ended)'

Beat me to it while I was typing!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Even if they didnt sell them I wouldnt think it is a big deal. They can choose to sell whatever they want.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Even if they didnt sell them I wouldnt think it is a big deal. They can choose to sell whatever they want.

True dat.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True dat.

CRC

Werd!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#17]
This monkey has no idea what they even sell in Cabela's. He's probably thinking that assault weapons are full auto assualt rifles.

Cabela's does too sell assault weapons. On any given day, I can see at least 7 to 10 in their racks. And that was before the AWB sunset.

Freakin moron!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, they don't have to sell any of the 19 banned rifles.  They can just sell SAR-1's and XM-15's.  

Cabela's spokesperson Joe Arterburn said the ban's expiration would "not affect the way Cabela's does business."

So if they're already selling Bushmasters and Beowulfs and full-cap mags, then their business isn't going to change, is it?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Didn't see any ARs at the Hamburg, PA Cabela's when I was there in July, but they did have an
interesting mix of used rifles in the racks. Including three .22s, of differing makers, that I'd have
been ashamed to have put out on the rack, in the condition that they were in. (Rusty & rather nasty
looking.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Tanker, I have been to that store since it opened last year and they have had several styles and brands of AR's and uppers since grand opening. I was just there today and they have a .50 bolt upper in the show case. They had a 7.62X39 upper in the Bargain Cave several months ago.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Didn't see any ARs at the Hamburg, PA Cabela's when I was there in July, but they did have aninteresting mix of used rifles in the racks. Including three .22s, of differing makers, that I'd have
been ashamed to have put out on the rack, in the condition that they were in. (Rusty & rather nasty
looking.)

I was there in the winter of '94 and they had some 30s and 40s that were in pretty good shape . They have "AR-15 MADE IN USA" stamped on the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
All the rifles etc. that I have seen for sell are priced way to high for us Texans!

Viva la Texas!

I do like Cabela's and have said if they open one here close to me that I would run it for them.

BigDozer66

In Texas, they sell AKs at 7-11, don't they?

BTW, I love Texas.  My sister lives in FW.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#23]
One in Hamburg does.

Last time I was there, they had three AR's, a CX4 (which isn't a EBR, but looks cool), an AK, and a HK91 displayed in a big glass case out in the front of the gun display, with 20 round mags.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Didn't see any ARs at the Hamburg, PA Cabela's when I was there in July, but they did have an
interesting mix of used rifles in the racks. Including three .22s, of differing makers, that I'd have
looking.)

And over-priced also!(the one in Dundee MI) I picked up an old worn "Ranger" pumpgun at a reputable shop for $60, then went to Cabela's and saw one in about the same condition for $495! It was marked as a "military model"(on the tag ,not the gun) and had a "shortened bbl"(cut) and a (misfiting) metal buttplate. In the same rack,(this was prior to the expiration of the AWB), I saw two examples of illegal configuation AR's. I started to tell someone about it but they were not interested in hearing about it so I figured WTF. I rarely find any "deals" at Cabela's but it's a good waste of time.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sounds like lip service for soccer moms.

Placating the sheeple, so they will go into their stores.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#26]
They will probably sell them on an "order" basis. If I wanted to drop $1600 on an M1A, I'm sure they'd love the % on that...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#28]
The one in Owatonna, MN also had a decent selection.  They had a few Bushmasters, some M1A's, Mini-14's, a couple of UZI's, and some type of FN-FAL clone.  Their price is usually a little high though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The one in Owatonna, MN also had a decent selection.  They had a few Bushmasters, some M1A's, Mini-14's, a couple of UZI's, and some type of FN-FAL clone.  Their price is usually a little high though.

musta been before I was working there, I didn't see any UZI's but everything else was there.
If we wanted to cater to yuppie wanna-be hunters we would be more like Gander Mountain, those guys have a serious my shit don't stink attitude cause they think AR15's are only used by criminals
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Am I the only one here that bothered to read the article?

It didn't say anything about Cabelas Stores, it was about one particular Cabelas store...

quote:  ..."said this week that it's unlikely their store in the Village West entertainment and tourism district in western Wyandotte County would add any of the 19 types "...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I only have been to one, they had ARs and a FAL.

was high though
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I only have been to one, they had ARs and a FAL.

was high though

You where high, tisk tisk
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Expect a lot of this.  It doesn't suprise me one bit.  WalMart used to sell handguns too, remember?  Oh yeah, GANDER MOUNTAIN SUCKS!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I purchased a ArmaLite AR15 in the Mitchell SD Cabela's & saw 8-10 different AR15's in the Sidney Neb Cabela's last month. We tend to visit Cabela's every couple months & they always have AR's for sale.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Tom Rotar, director of retail operations for the Cabela's chain, said he's fairly certain none of the Cabela's stores, including the Wyandotte County Village West location, would be offering the weapons to customers
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Link

Cabela's won't add weapons to inventory

By Joshua Roberts

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Apparently, selling assault weapons inside a tourist destination doesn't mix.

Corporate officials with Cabela's -- a national chain of stores selling outdoor supplies -- said this week that it's unlikely their store in the Village West entertainment and tourism district in western Wyandotte County would add any of the 19 types of semi-automatic weapons previously banned by federal law to its inventory of guns for sale.

Last week, a federal ban signed in 1994 outlawing the sale of certain military-style assault weapons expired. Congress has not reauthorized the ban as of yet.

Tom Rotar, director of retail operations for the Cabela's chain, said he's fairly certain none of the Cabela's stores, including the Wyandotte County Village West location, would be offering the weapons to customers.

"To my knowledge we've decided we're not," Rotar said.

"I don't really see a change in the mix of firearms we offer," Arterburn said.

He said the ban's expiration will allow those once-illegal firearms to become available on the market, but that doesn't mean Cabela's will "necessarily change our mix."

The company, with 10 locations across the country, follows all requirements governing the sale of firearms and promotes gun safety, Arterburn added.

Cabela's is one of the top tourist attractions in the state, and is located near Nebraska Furniture Mart and The Great Wolf Lodge.

Numerous studies offer no definite proof as to whether the now-extinct federal law had any impact on keeping assault weapons off the streets, and pro- and anti-gun groups argue the ban's merits as well.

Officials with the Unified Government of Wyandotte County, who've lobbied against legislation in the past that would have allowed residents to legally conceal and carry firearms, said last week they had no official position on Cabela's possibly selling the previously banned weapons.

Will the PC madness never cease?  Cabela's sells a .50 BMG upper for ARs for Pete's sake.

You mean people actually walk into a STORE and buy GUNS there?

Guns that are available for much less on the Internet?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Apparently, since no journalist bothers to check his facts anymore, all it takes is a claim that the guns in question aren't being sold.

This is good news!

ATTENTION ALL SHEEPLE: EVIL ASSAULT RIFLES ARE NOT (I REPEAT, NOT) FOR SALE ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES.

THAT IS ALL.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Viva la Texas!

BigDozer66

In Texas, they sell AKs at 7-11, don't they?

BTW, I love Texas.  My sister lives in FW.

Heck brother they sell 'em out of "Ice Cream Trucks" down here!

Just like Feinstein? said!

We live about 3 hours SE of DFW and was just up there last Saturday to go to the Market Hall gunshow and eat dinner with the DFW crew!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Seen AKs ARs and a HK at the Nebraska Cabela's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top