Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 11:36:22 AM EDT
I'm being offered some free training for plumbing as a "construction trade" by the state.  I live in the Southern California area.  What are your (experienced plumbers or otherwise) thoughts?  I repair my own faucets, disposers, hoppers, etc. at home and it comes awfully easy to me.  Thanks for your insight into this subject.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably a pretty good trade if you can take the smell and the public display of your ass crack.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Everybody has to shit sometime.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I will tell you everything you need to know about plumbing.

Shit flows downhill.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Plumber's crack!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Good trade.  With new construction/installation you dont have to deal with grey water.  And union plumbers do well.  $80,000 or so.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm being offered some free training for plumbing as a "construction trade" by the state.  I live in the Southern California area.  What are your (experienced plumbers or otherwise) thoughts?  I repair my own faucets, disposers, hoppers, etc. at home and it comes awfully easy to me.  Thanks for your insight into this subject.

Stick to NEW INSTALL IMHO, if you get into the biz.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Shit flows downhill.

the actual gospel is this:

Shit rolls downhill

Payday is on Friday

when in doubt, vent

Don't bite your fingernails after a remodel job

edited to add, TAKE THE TRAINING!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#8]

I'm being offered some free training for plumbing as a "construction trade" by the state. I live in the Southern California area. What are your (experienced plumbers or otherwise) thoughts? I repair my own faucets, disposers, hoppers, etc. at home and it comes awfully easy to me. Thanks for your insight into this subject.

If you are being offered free training by all means take the offer. The more you can learn the more stable you will be in your money making ability.

The big dollars are made in Comercial Plumbing but the paychecks are not as frequent. The Service Plumber is a busy guy that deals with the less appealing duties but usually gets paid when the service has been rendered.

And Schizt does flow downhill but when the Plumber gets there it is usually coming up from somewhere unexpected.

MT
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit flows downhill.

the actual gospel is this:

Shit rolls downhill

Payday is on Friday

when in doubt, vent

Don't bite your fingernails after a remodel job

you guys are all wrong--- this is how it goes:

Hot is on the left,
shit runs down hill,
payday is friday.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#10]
dirty job, good money. Maybe you'll luckout and get new construction detail
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a friend who's a plumber. He's only 24 and he makes quite a bit of money. He already bought himself a house and a new corvette...

I should have been a plumber.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]
To plumb, or.....not....to plumb....that is the question?

Did you detect the William Shatner tone to my repeating of this threads topic? Riveting, wasn't it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Other training is being offered in Heating, AC, Refrig., construction electrician, biotech, medical assistant, CNA, etc. but I think the $$$$$ is in these trades.  I agree free training is good training, just looking for the most bang for the $ here.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#14]
A fine occupation.

Just say no to "plumber's crack".

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#15]
A friend of the family is a plumber. must like his job, he won't retire.  He just won't eat corn though.  He says it's a waste of time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#16]
No one can show their ass like a plumber!

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
A friend of the family is a plumber. must like his job, he won't retire.  He just won't eat corn though.  He says it's a waste of time.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Bib overalls........................................
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Some advice. I've been a A/C Tech for 19 years now. Always working for companies.

In the trades today,  it's owners wanting big bucks quick. And shit on the employees that bring in the money. They will hire one to two experinced techs and then twenty 12.00 per hour techs.

I'm to the point now I have to start my own business. Only me though. No employees. Reason cant trust people and will do shit work for you. Plus I'm not into babysitting 30 to 40 year olds.

So get the training and start your own business. Working for people sucks. Be your own boss and you will go far.

Yes you can make a shit load of money in plumbing. Also year round work. A/C work is seasonal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#20]
i am a liscensed plumber it aint bad, and remember other peoples shit is your bread and butter!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#21]
just please for the sake of your customers buy a belt
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#22]
In the trades if you can show up to work every day, work until quitting time, are white, only take your 1/2 hour for lunch and 15 minute breaks, and not complain or try to tell the boss how he should be running things, you'll be the foreman by the end of the month.

No, I'm not kidding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top