Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 10:35:38 AM EDT
For violent crime in countries with strict gun control compared to countries with lighter gun laws??  I am debating antis and I need these.  

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
try www.gunowners.org. They've got pretty good stats.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I posted the same question yesterday and nobody helped
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont use stats to argue your right to own a gun. Your rights are inalienable and nothing can take them away. Stats can be easily skewed to show bias for either side.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
There are lies, there are DAMN lies, and then there are statistics.

As someone already mentioned, stats can be made to favor a certain side of an arguement.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There are lies, there are DAMN lies, and then there are statistics.

As someone already mentioned, stats can be made to favor a certain side of an arguement.

Disraeli via Mark Twain.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#6]
www.aic.gov.au/stats/

Australia

www.nationmaster.com/country/sz/Crime

Google is your friend.

Violent gun crime is nearly the same in rural and suburban areas of Canada and the US (and it's low).  Only in cities with heavy gang activity (drugs) does the US come off badly.  Suicide rates in gun free countries can still be higher than in the US and always have been, the point being that lack of firearms does not lessen incidents of suicide.    

www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvintl.html
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, guys.  I know statistics can be skewed, but all I'm hearing in the argument is "look at Australia!  They are so much safer without guns!  Blah... blah... England's crime rate went down when they banned guns.... blah...."    I know this stuff isn't true, but I need numbers to argue it.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks, guys.  I know statistics can be skewed, but all I'm hearing in the argument is "look at Australia!  They are so much safer without guns!  Blah... blah... England's crime rate went down when they banned guns.... blah...."    I know this stuff isn't true, but I need numbers to argue it.  

When I was arguing the same thing I googled "crime statistics" in said country.
I didn't just look for gun crime though, because yes, gun crime went down (don't understand why it wasn't gone completely since they have no guns) but all other crime went up. Australia for example. Between 1995 and 2001 the rate for assaults increased by 49%, robbery by 82% and rape by 28%. Sorry the statistics show without guns, criminals feel safer knowing there is no gun for defense.  Their ban took affect in 1996.

forgot to add the 2 links I got this from.

http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=8073
http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/facts/2002/facts_and_figures_2002.pdf
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:52:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Google for "international crime survey".  The UN puts out a survey every few years on crime rates in many countries.  And it is true that many countries with lots of gun control have sky-high murder rates: Mexico, Taiwan, Phillippines, etc.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top