Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 8:47:48 AM EDT
You guys trust absentee ballots?  I just got mine in the mail last week and I was talking to a co-worker yesterday and he said that he would never use an absentee ballot and he always goes to the polls.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
You guys trust absentee ballots?  I just got mine in the mail last week and I was talking to a co-worker yesterday and he said that he would never use an absentee ballot and he always goes to the polls.

Good question. I'd like to know as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
some talking head on the news the other day said some states are like 90% absentee ballot, I think one was 100% as they did away with polling places
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
bump
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
abantee ballots aren't counted unless the race is close enough to where the total number of absantee ballots would change the outcome.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to trust them. It's the only way I can vote.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My only way to vote- on the road tonight, and on the road Nov. 2nd as well...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I get absentee every year, in case I have to travel in an emergency.  I usually carry it to the poll.  That insures you won't wait in line and the trust thing doesn't come into play.  You can have a trusted friend carry it over too.  

Some people don't want the hassle of voting.  To get an absentee ballot, all I had to do is send an email.  Go figure.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My only way to vote- on the road tonight, and on the road Nov. 2nd as well...

Me, too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
abantee ballots aren't counted unless the race is close enough to where the total number of absantee ballots would change the outcome.

Is this true?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this true?

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#11]
After reading today about another case where Bush and Cheney were left off of absentee ballots I'm definitely heading to the polls to vote.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I was just talking to the wife about this.  It seems the easiest thing to do that would effect the election would be to "lose" absentee ballots" if the county you lived in was predominately one party or the other.  Plus they don't count them until after regular ballots IIRC.  Not for me anymore if I can help it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Do I trust them? I voted for Ronald Reagan absentee from Japan in 1984. He won so I trust them
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this true?

Depends by state, but in NY, yes it is true... what is the point?  If the margin of victory exceeds EVERY absentee ballot on hand, than even if the all broke for the underdog they would still lose.  The exception to this would be if a certain number of votes was needed to maintain an automatic party line on the ballot without needing to petition, in which case if a party was close to losing their automatic line and the number of votes needed was less than the number of absentee ballots on hand, they could be counted to determine if the threshold was met.

God, I am such a political geek!

Count all the votes.  Otherwise the stupid would be able to claim that Gore won the popular vote while losing the electoral vote and IT MIGHT NOT BE TRUE........
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I vote by absentee ballot all the time.

But I hand deliver it to the drop off center and put it right in the [Al Gore]LOCKBOX[/al gore] myself.

I don't think I would mail it in, just because.

Also, make sure you understand that now that you have REQUESTED and absentee ballot, you may no longer vote at the polls.   You MUST use that ballot.   Just hand deliver it!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I have been talking to several co-workers and they all agree absentee ballots should be done alway with.  I'm starting to agree.  Too much room for mistake and messing with them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have been talking to several co-workers and they all agree absentee ballots should be done alway with.  I'm starting to agree.  Too much room for mistake and messing with them.

Just sent my absentee in the mail today. As a Military member it's my only option for voting. Do not take them away!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  And how would military personnel vote?  How would those whose livelihood requires them to be away from their homes for extended periods of time?  How about students with permanent ties to their home communities and fleeting ties to some college town?  How about the infirmed who can not physically make it to the polls?  You are prepared to disenfranchise them?

Perhaps the answer is some electronic system that allows you to vote by your cellphone no matter where you are in the world?  Nope, electronic systems ARE more subject to fraud.  As antiquated and dilapitated as NY's old fashioned voting booths are... they work.  They are incredibly hard to tamper with so long as they are properly attended to and secured.  We have close to NO voter fraud in the districts I run.  Anybody suspicious is told to vote by affidavit ballot.  They usually balk because they are required to sign an oath that would constitute purjury and subject them to prison for lying under.

No sir, Absentee Ballots are needed!

All good points, but I think there needs to a way of securing the process more.  Wasn't there a case in 2000 where a bunch of absentte ballots from military personnel from different places over seas got "lost" some how.  One person said you can check wheither or not your vote was counted.  Where can you do that at?  That would be helpful.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I almost always vote by AB simply because I travel so much.  

Yesterday I went to my county's board of election HQ, ID'd myself and after filling out the form for the absentee ballot they printed one out, I cast my votes, and I watched them handle it.  

From there who knows where it goes.  I've made my effort and voted the RIGHT way, hopefully if it matters its there.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top