Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 5:56:46 AM EDT
I'm taking a quick, unexpected business trip to Mobile and/ or Gulf Shores later this evening.

1) Will I be able to find a hotel in gulf shores (we're actually going to Foley....any hotels there?)?

2) if I find a hotel room (i figure some got blew away, some are full w/ out-of-town workers and/or displaced locals, right?), and I have time, can I find an open beach to visit on friday?
Did they all wash away (sory...I',m really ignorant about hurricanes)?

3) What's the weather like?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#1]
anyone?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I live in Mississippi, but my best friend lives in Mobile. He tells me that Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, and Foley are still a mess. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I live in Mississippi, but my best friend lives in Mobile. He tells me that Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, and Foley are still a mess. Good luck!

Any idea if the old seafood place just southeast of the bridge across the bay @ spanish fort is still there? I'm hungry......

The guy we're going to see said there were plenty of hotels. I'm not holding my breath.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not know for sure. But I have heard hotels are booked. But I'm 250 miles from the coast.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about Foley... BUt, all the hotels/motels in Pensacola or booked, solid... I have spoken with many, MANY workers who are being put up over in Mobile because there is no room here. I would call before you make any plans.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Stay in Montgomery and just drive to do your business.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a room at the Best Western in Foley.....

so what do the beaches look like?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#8]

They're usually very nice.  I'm in B'ham though and haven't seen them since the hurricane.  But, considering I got damage from the hurrice some 250 miles inland, probably bad.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is the restaurant I was wondering about...I tried to call to make lunch plans for tomorrow, but no such luck...I hope they're just closed on thursdays, not blown away by the storm.

Any idea what the water temp is right now?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#10]
My Dad lives in Mobile ..... he says its still a big mess .....

The eye of the hurricane went right up the eastern side of Mobile bay ..... everything over there got hit the hardest.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My Dad lives in Mobile ..... he says its still a big mess .....

The eye of the hurricane went right up the eastern side of Mobile bay ..... everything over there got hit the hardest.

The restaurant in the aforementioned link is right on the east bank of the bay. I just confirmed that they ARE open, thankfully.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Update......Gulf Shores is practically shut down!

Ended up going to the beach at Dauphin Island.....nice, clean beach, almost nobody there (4-5 other people) and the water was perfect.

But the 2' of sand in the roads (that made 6' piles on either side) were odd...driving through dauphin island (the condo/beach area) was like driving through a maze.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#13]
You are talking about my home! Sorry I did not catch the post earlier.

Yes Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are fucked.

Yes you are gonn be rooming with some dregs of humanity. (I bet we have 50 "relioef workers" in or jail right now!) You were lucky to find a room!

I would have offered you our place in OB if I had caught the thread in time. We were lucky, water was about 1 inch (!!!) from coming in. Our garage and porch were totaled but the cabin was fine.

Yes the Oyster House is open. The wife and I ate there the first night I cane off Emergency Shifts (12-16 hour shifts, mids, looter/curfew enforcement.) You have great taste, that is the best seafood joint in the area. It was hi hard, though, but they are old hat at it now.

Here is a shot of Hwy 59 southbound near Waterville...

IM me if you need anything!

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Well Shit! I just saw you have come and gone! I should fully read threads first!

Let me know if you come back. We will eat dozens of oysters and kill a similar number of beers!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
FiveO, do you work for Gulf Shores or Orange Beach PD? Are y'all hiring? I'd love to live down there in spite of the current hurricane situation.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
FiveO, do you work for Gulf Shores or Orange Beach PD? Are y'all hiring? I'd love to live down there in spite of the current hurricane situation.

IM sent.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I got my restaurants wrong...the "Nautilus" is the one I was thinking of....but anyway, it was pretty good....mainly just wanted to eat there because I remembered eating there 18 years ago.

I will try the oyster house next time.

And thanks for the offer.....I may look ya up next summer.

I was kinda surprised....it took exactly 6 hours to go from the parking lot @ dauphin island's public beach back to my house...including 2 stops and one 15-minute waste of time as I drove the wrong direction on I-10.

Come spring, I think I'll be making some weekend trips back down there.....used to hit the coast pretty regular when I was in college, and sorta miss it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I got my restaurants wrong...the "Nautilus" is the one I was thinking of....but anyway, it was pretty good....mainly just wanted to eat there because I remembered eating there 18 years ago.

I will try the oyster house next time.

And thanks for the offer.....I may look ya up next summer.

I was kinda surprised....it took exactly 6 hours to go from the parking lot @ dauphin island's public beach back to my house...including 2 stops and one 15-minute waste of time as I drove the wrong direction on I-10.

Come spring, I think I'll be making some weekend trips back down there.....used to hit the coast pretty regular when I was in college, and sorta miss it.

Well one thing is for sure, you did not have to bump any locals out of the way to eat at the Nautilus...  Yeesh...

Take care!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top