Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 12:42:56 AM EDT
Had one of my wisdoms pulled today, and just wondering what I need to do to prevent dry scokets. And if it does happen what kind of pain in I in for and for how long...

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Rinse your mouth a couple of times a day with warm saltwater.  Avoid mouthwash and anything else that might irritate the area for a while.

Hopefully they told you that, or gave you instructions before you left the office?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Rinse your mouth a couple of times a day with warm saltwater.  Avoid mouthwash and anything else that might irritate the area for a while.

Hopefully they told you that, or gave you instructions before you left the office?

Yeah got a paper but want to know if there are things they don't tell you lol.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:47:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just be thankful they're doing them one at a time.  I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled in one sitting.  That really sucked for like a month afterward.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I started smoking again the next day, never had a problem.  The doctors are a bunchg of LIARS!

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I started smoking again the next day, never had a problem.  The doctors are a bunchg of LIARS!

Forgot about that.  They do tell you not to smoke, don't they.  I actually waited 4 days I think before I started again.  That was 6 years ago, and I finally quit for good (hopefully) only a couple of months ago.  I wish I hadn't started again after the wisdom teeth deal.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Lol. Are you trying to tell me to use a straw etc, you trying to cause great pain to me. LMAO

I don't smoke so not a worry
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah, if they gave you any kind of hardcore painkillers (ie vicodin, percoset, or any opiate-based painkiller), be very careful with them.  I made the mistake of using the whole bottle (over the course of the first week) at the time, and it was really, really weird coming off of them.  I had to take lots of advil coming off the painkillers and I still felt freaky for a while.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, if they gave you any kind of hardcore painkillers (ie vicodin, percoset, or any opiate-based painkiller), be very careful with them.  I made the mistake of using the whole bottle (over the course of the first week) at the time, and it was really, really weird coming off of them.  I had to take lots of advil coming off the painkillers and I still felt freaky for a while.

Nope no pain pills, wouldn't taken anything more than Ibuprofen, just don't like putting alot of drugs into me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope no pain pills, wouldn't taken anything more than Ibuprofen, just don't like putting alot of drugs into me.

Roger.  I had all 4 done, so I needed something powerful for that first week.  I hope I never need painkillers like that again.  Chasing the dragon did not agree with me!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:08:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just be thankful they're doing them one at a time.  I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled in one sitting.  That really sucked for like a month afterward.  

How odd.  I was eating solid (albeit smooth going) food 36 hours afterwards.  Although it was about a week b4 I had chips or anything like that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:10:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How odd.  I was eating solid (albeit smooth going) food 36 hours afterwards.  Although it was about a week b4 I had chips or anything like that.

I could eat ok, but my mouth felt like it had 4 holes in it for that first month...  probably because it did!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:28:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled, and due to circumstances, it was 3 hours before I got the pain medication prescription filled. Needless to say, the anesthetic had completely worn off by this time, and I discovered why tooth-pulling is such a popular method of torture. I gulped down two pills (Lortabs, I think they were 7.5mg), and went home and went to bed. Those were the only thing I took for pain, and the next day, I went shooting.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:33:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Advice I got from a girl before I got mine pulled: Don't suck on anything. Yeah, not a problem

Seriously though, I never had any problems, never even took painkillers for that one. I was eating solid food inside of two days.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#15]
You guys have some kind of tolerance for pain.  I'm fine with the cuts and bruises and what not, but break a bone or pull some teeth and I turn into a 12 year old girl!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:38:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I got two of mine pulled in the Navy (by an excellent dentist!) and ignored the "don't use a straw" order two days later.  Sucking down a big gulp from 7-11 and all of the sudden I felt something touching my tongue......It was the "soft scab" from the tooth hole!  I almost threw up right there but managed to pull my car over..Talk about disgusting!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You guys have some kind of tolerance for pain.  I'm fine with the cuts and bruises and what not, but break a bone or pull some teeth and I turn into a 12 year old girl!

Lol, right now I have a sprained ankle and on the other foot a sprained tow. I'm scraped and bruised to shit, and the only thing that bothers me is I'm not sure how long it will be till I get back on my bike
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:56:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, right now I have a sprained ankle and on the other foot a sprained tow. I'm scraped and bruised to shit, and the only thing that bothers me is I'm not sure how long it will be till I get back on my bike

Bike?  As in, motorcycle?  

<runs away screaming>

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:58:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I had 4 pulled at the same time with novicane.  The last one required a hammer and chiesel to knock out.

No pain meds needed afterwards.

I thinky'all are just pussies
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:01:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had 4 pulled at the same time with novicane.  The last one required a hammer and chiesel to knock out.

No pain meds needed afterwards.

I thinky'all are just pussies

12... year old...  girl  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:05:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<runs away screaming>

My friends call me crash, cause I crash a lot and get scabs on top of scabs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<runs away screaming>

My friends call me crash, cause I crash a lot and get scabs on top of scabs.

Are you sure your name isn't Charles Bronson?

..Because you have a DEATH WISH!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top