Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 9:30:08 PM EDT
Check out this newsday story...Freegan  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Wierd

Leaning over a black garbage bag on a recent cool night, Adam Weissman uses his bare hands to scoop steaming brown rice and veggies into a plastic container. Alongside him, two friends pull muffins, pasta and sweet potatoes, still warm from a hot buffet, from the pile of trash bags outside Lifethyme, a natural foods market in Greenwich Village.

The trio meets at 9:30 p.m. - about the time grocery stores close and put their trash out - and rummage through one store's leftovers before moving on to the next. Picking through garbage bags, they fill their knapsacks with enough fruit, vegetables, loaves of bread and packaged goods to fully stock their shelves and refrigerators.

They're not homeless, and they have jobs. They call themselves freegans, and though some fill their fridges with food from garbage bins to save money, many choose not to buy food for philosophical reasons.

"Freegan" comes from the term vegan - a person who does not eat meat or animal products for health or ethical reasons. Freegans take it one step further by eating food thrown away by stores and restaurants, to avoid waste and limit their impact on the environment. They say that by not buying food, they're boycotting a capitalist consumer society that needlessly slaughters animals and harms the environment by mass-producing nonessential food, much of which ends up in landfills.

"It's about being aware of the insane waste by our culture of overproduction and overconsumption," says Weissman, 26, who wears oversized jeans and a baggy T-shirt he "recovered" from the trash. He is a part- time security guard and a full- time freegan. He and his friends salvage "large quantities of unsold items, not half- eaten food off someone's plate," Weissman says.

Trash du jour

He's lived on a diet made up almost entirely of trash for nine years, he says, and when he doesn't forage near his home in Hackensack, N.J., the trash of New York City provides him with more edible food than he can carry home.

Like Weissman, Alexis Cole, a 28-year-old jazz singer from Manhattan, rails against what she calls an unjust capitalist society gone mad with greed at the expense of the environment and other humans less fortunate than prosperous Americans. "This culture makes me sick," she says.

Dressed in a white top and blue cords - all recovered - Cole, who says she is writing a cookbook called "The Decadent Dumpster," rides her bike to choice grocery store garbage bins several times a week. On each trip she can count on filling the two baskets on her 21-speed with bags of lettuce and spinach, bread, bananas, apples, kale, bagels and packaged goods. It's more than enough for her and her two roommates, who, according to Cole, "have never eaten so well."

Tonight the freegans start at Garden of Eden, a Village health food store, where they find two whole fresh salmon in the trash outside, before heading west. They visit Century Market, Gristede's, Lifethyme and other food stores along the way, if the trash looks promising.

"After I started doing this I gained, like, 60 pounds," Weissman says. Now he's more careful about what he eats and bypasses the trash outside Dunkin' Donuts for the healthier bags filled with produce outside Gristede's.

He's not worried about the safety of the food; he says stores throw out goods long before they've gone bad. "When you throw out food from your refrigerator, it's at the point where it's gross," Weissman explains. "That's not the case with stores."

Glynn St. Juste, a manager at a Greenwich Village Gristede's, says the store throws out only food that is no longer edible. But during one tour, the freegans find still-usable wrapped cheese sticks, sealed cottage cheese, bread, croissants and even peach cobbler outside the supermarket. (They argue that food is usually still edible on, or just after, the printed expiration date.)

John Phillips of Manhattan, an 18-year-old freegan, says none of his freegan friends have gotten sick from eating food from trash. The only health problem he says is overindulgence. "People go crazy because they find a 50-pound bag of doughnuts," he says. "Restraint is a problem."

Not all freegans are strict vegans, but most are vegetarian. Freegan meat-eaters say that as long as an animal is being killed, it's better to use the meat than let it go to waste.

Dr. Ruth Kava, director of nutrition at the New York-based American Council on Science and Health, calls the movement "fascinating" but says it raises concerns. If food has been "sitting in a pool of sauce ... anything could be on it," she says. "The quality might be compromised to a point where it could pose a risk."

Brian Halweil, a senior food and agriculture researcher with the Washington, D.C.- based environmental research institute Worldwatch, knows about food waste. "It's astonishing how much food at restaurants and supermarkets is wasted," he says, "often because the food doesn't look right."

Halweil says he's not surprised freeganism is catching on as people become more aware of food production. America's obesity problem is a common story; "Fast Food Nation" was a bestseller, and the documentary "Super Size Me" was a box office hit. "All over the country we're finding people are rebelling against mass- produced food," he says.

Even so, there's no central freegan organization, and no statistics are available on how many people have adopted the practice. Freegans tend to hear about one another through word of mouth, often meeting at environmental activist gatherings. (Weissman has started a Web site, Freegan.info.)

Some freegans have reasons for feeding themselves from trash that are more practical than ethical. During one tour, outside the gourmet food store Dean & Deluca on Broadway, Sue Nowaczyk, a home health aide who earns about $650 a month, finds wrapped sandwiches that sell for about $6 each. For her, finding free food is a necessity. "It's economical," she says. "I've just gotta be careful about the meat, because it could spoil."

Free for the taking

Wendy Scher, a 25-year-old videographer and musician from Bedford-Stuyvesant, says she gets nearly all of the food she consumes from trash. "I don't have to buy food to get food," she says, as she rummages through a bag full of sloppy pizza pies outside of Due Amici, an East Village pizza restaurant. "I'd rather take it than waste my money paying for exactly the same stuff I can get right here."

The freegan movement is not limited to New York. Luna Tic, the name by which he's known in the freegan world, is a 27-year-old entomology student at Seattle Central Community College and a member of Food Not Bombs, an organization that feeds people with food that otherwise would be wasted. He says one day of "Dumpstering" can yield enough food to feed the six people he lives with for a week. "There's mountains of perfectly good food out there," he says.

The best spots are garbage bins outside upscale grocery stores and fruit stands. His freegan loot includes more than food. Luna Tic recently converted his car to run on the cooking oil discarded by restaurants; he collects it from vats outside Chinese restaurants. He says he gets 12 miles to the gallon and recently drove from Salem, Ore., to Seattle burning nothing but recovered vegetable oil.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]

They actually think people will listen to them because they're eating garbage?  Tell me, do you consult your local hobo for financial or marital advice?

These people are idiots!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I know people like that.  They find food and shit, and yes, they will eat it.  However, I have a few friends that aren't disgusting as shit, and dumpster dive behind places like, compusa and bestbuy and places.  They find some good shit sometimes from those places though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]

"Freegan" Adam Weissman with cherries he's salvaged from the trash.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, more power to them.  I got no problem with it.  More fresh food for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Douse the stuff with bleach before ya throw it the dumpster. That'll keep 'em from eating your garbage.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know people like that.  They find food and shit, and yes, they will eat it.  However, I have a few friends that aren't disgusting as shit, and dumpster dive behind places like, compusa and bestbuy and places.  They find some good shit sometimes from those places though.

I have done dumpster diving for stuff, not for food.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Just goes to show you that living in an urban envionment turns you into a mentally unstable idiot. This is taking the rat race too far.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#9]
These people are mentally ill, this is sad.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:10:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Some areas have organizations called "gleaners" which take expired food from supermarkets and take it to food banks and other charities.  They don't pick it out of the trash can, though;  the store lets them come in after hours and remove it from the shelves, free, as a charitable donation that goes on the store's tax forms.

A friend who is active in the group gave me a loaf of specialty bread from CostCo.  Only thing "wrong" with it was that instead of expiring the day after I got it, it had expired the day before.  Good stuff, I think it was three bucks per unit when I bought it (which I did pretty regularly).
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:29:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Now if I could just find a gun store that throw out their day old guns! I'd be a dumpster diver in a second!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#12]
My sister-in-law does this

She's living at a hippy commune right now in GA. http://www.koinoniapartners.org/index.html

Here's a little piece she wrote, keep the links cold:  http://www.koinoniapartners.org/news/garden.htm

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:34:54 AM EDT
[#13]
"Jerry Springer,people."
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:45:17 AM EDT
[#14]
When my wife worked at Ralphs in SoCal they had problems with people dumpster diving for food and then trying to return it.

The short term solution was for them to dump mop bucket water on the food until they got an enclosed and locked trash compactor dumpster.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:02:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe if they got themselves some quality racoon costumes....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]

"Freegan" Adam Weissman the artist formerly known as Prince with cherries he's salvaged from the trash.

Fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#17]
That people like this exist in America and have the power to vote is a good arguement against freedom.

I would rather have a king than to face people like this in power....

Edited to add:

If they have jobs, and clothing they have not made themselves, and items they have not built themselves, how then are they not supporting a corrupt capitalist system that strips Mother Earth of her precious resources?

Indeed, their breathing strips needed oxygen out of the atmosphere, and they should stop it immediately.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:42:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Doesn't bother me (that THEY do it), it just means less waste overall.  Think of them as a colony of ants.  At least they aren't recieving 'entitlements'.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top