Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 8:43:31 PM EDT
Anyone have the old black and white photo of the black male timber worker holding the large Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake he killed while clearing land? This photo was suppossed to be from the 30-40s and had a very large but dead rattlesnake hanging on a limb held by the man?

Just checking to see if someone had it or knew where I could locate it.

Thanks,
ASO
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen it before at the barber but never online. I read somewhere it was fake though, who knows.

Have 1 of a rattler up on the mountain a few weeks ago though. Somewhat smaller than the 1your mentioning, but big enough.
This rattler was beautiful, very dark overall despite having a pattern, black was the dominating color and toward the head it was almost all black.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I know where that picture is, it hangs in a gun store I frequent. People are always commenting about the size of the snake. I have heard it is real and I have heard fake.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah,

Someone said it was a popular e-mail within the last year but I can not find it on the internet anywhere. I was hoping that someone here might have it saved or know of a location to download it.

I think the picture was an optical illusion but it was sure neat and quite a conversation piece. Still hoping someone will chime in with some info.

ASO
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
My old barber in La had that pic. Didn't look photoshoped to me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:11:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's one of a 5 foot timber rattlesnake skin.  It's my G-23 in the pic.  North Alabama, 2004:

www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/trailpicts/fork/IMG_1707.htm

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here's one of a 5 foot timber rattlesnake skin.  It's my G-23 in the pic.  North Alabama, 2004:

Thanks,

Merlin

Dang Merlin  --- that was a big snake
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:21:50 AM EDT
[#8]
This is the time of year where I see the most snakes.  I have stepped on 3 rattlesnakes so far this week

I don't kill them though, no point in doing so.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:22:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I hate snakes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]
We recently saw a rattle snake crossing the road when we were heading out to the local shooting range. It was awesome to see it. We just let it go. It was beautiful!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I remember one with an old man in overalls holding a snake on the end of a hoe with children standing around him.  The snake was touching the ground on both ends and the man was holding it up in the air.  Is that the one?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
i caught a Western Diamondback in Commiefornia in 1964, it was 7"3" weighed 11.7 lbs.., i gave it to the San Diego Zoo, it was in their Serpentarium for about 5 years..., any one ever seen it ???
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I remember one with an old man in overalls holding a snake on the end of a hoe with children standing around him.  The snake was touching the ground on both ends and the man was holding it up in the air.  Is that the one?

No. It's an old black-n-white photo of a negro(big dude at that) with both arms out craddling a rattle snake that touches the ground with its tail and its head. Not just long but fat also. The guy is standing in what looks like a freshly plowed feild.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats the one!! I was hoping someone had it on their computer or knew where to download it. Very interesting photo.

ASO
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I've seen some pretty large rattlesnakes, especially around springtime.  Does anyone go to the rattlesnake roundup in freer, tx, I try to make an annual thing.  Meat taste like chicken, and spice it up with a little powdered venom.  hmmm mmm
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This is the time of year where I see the most snakes.  I have stepped on 3 rattlesnakes so far this week

I don't kill them though, no point in doing so.

i got a point for you.............................so you won't fucking step on them again!!!!!!!!!!!

if it slithers, it dies...........period.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

Merlin

Dang Merlin  --- that was a big snake

if i had a dime for every time ive heard that...i wouldnt have any money or nuthin im just sayin...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Bet that poor girl was scared shitless...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've seen some pretty large rattlesnakes, especially around springtime.  Does anyone go to the rattlesnake roundup in freer, tx, I try to make an annual thing.  Meat taste like chicken, and spice it up with a little powdered venom.  hmmm mmm

Damn near every year...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn near every year...

I came out in a parade there once, in 96 or 97, I was with the Marine Color Guard
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn near every year...

I came out in a parade there once, in 96 or 97, I was with the Marine Color Guard

Ooorah!   Cant say i like this phrase though....
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Here's one from a place in south TX where I've hunted a few times, about 7-1/2 feet.  Never saw one there myself but I look before I step down there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
www.mariposaranch.net/images/snake0201-sm.jpg

Here's one from a place in south TX where I've hunted a few times, about 7-1/2 feet.  Never saw one there myself but I look before I step down there.

There was a pic I used to have of a Border Patrol Agent that killed one about that size near Rio Grande City, I guess bad guys are not the only ones they have to look out for.

Near the mid valley there is alot of farm land and I haven't seen any rattlers in the last 5 yrs
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thanks,

Merlin

Goood LORD would that have ever caused me to shat my pants.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a pic I used to have of a Border Patrol Agent that killed one about that size near Rio Grande City, I guess bad guys are not the only ones they have to look out for.

Near the mid valley there is alot of farm land and I haven't seen any rattlers in the last 5 yrs

This one was in Falfurrias - that's Brooks County if I remember right.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

[Monty Python] Jesus Croist! [/Monty Python]

- BG
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I found these on Google...Whoa!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top