Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 8:10:41 PM EDT
Well, as posted earlier, I have my selection board interview for the Army (OCS) this Saturday.

I need to wear a suit.

Being in the tech business, I haven't worn a suit since 1998 or so, and I don't have one available...

If I get selected (which is the point, after all) I don't see myself needing a civillian suit for 10+ years... If not, well, back to the PC biz -> no need there either...

So I need to rent one... Not a tux, but a business-style suit...

1) Does anyone know a national-chain type place that rents suits?

2) If not, what 'kind' of local shops should I call?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you borrow one from a friend who is close to your size?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
What's wrong with buying a suit?  What's wrong with owning a suit?  The granola types who insisted on wearing shorts and sandals are the prime reason IT compensation has taken a huge dive.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What's wrong with buying a suit?  What's wrong with owning a suit?  The granola types who insisted on wearing shorts and sandals are the prime reason IT compensation has taken a huge dive.  

Good point.  You can buy a cheap one for not much $
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point.  You can buy a cheap one for not much $

And they don't look cheap either...
And if your in IT your gonna need a suit these days if the .mil don't work out!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
just go to Mens Warehouse, if they have on in Wi, and buy one for 300
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You're going to like the way you look.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
"I Guarantee It!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Why would you want to wear clothes that someone could have shit themselves in ?
I had enough hand me downs growing up, used clothes, I'll pass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're going to like the way you look.

Don't have the $300 to do it right now, and the last $300 suit I bought, I wore twice...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Im with you, I dont own a suit either,
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Don't have the $300 to do it right now, and the last $300 suit I bought, I wore twice...

OK, then head to the Salvation Army Thrift Store near you. I think you can get a suit for $20.

Good luck with your OCS Selection Board interview, by the way!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why would you want to wear clothes that someone could have shit themselves in ?
I had enough hand me downs growing up, used clothes, I'll pass.

Because I don't want to spend $300 on clothes I will wear once to the recruiting station for my 'parctice' board, once to the board itself, and then file & forget...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 Salvation Army.  No shit, you can find a good suit, but it may cost more than $20.00  Check it good for holes, bloodstains, etc, though.

I like your cheapness- If you lived in CO I would lend you mine.

What size are you anyway?

While you're there, Get an application from the Salvation Army, in case the regular Army doesn't want you.

If you told me during the interview that you had on a SA suit, I would hire you on the spot.  Every organisation needs some cheap bastards- even the Army.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Do what chicks do.. buy it, wear it, return it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Go to JC Penny's.
Get a suit for around $100.
Not much more than a rental.
Comes in handy when somebodies' kid gits hitched.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Do what chicks do.. buy it, wear it, return it.

That's another avenue to explore...
I probably wouldn't do it, but if you are in dire straights.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Around my neck of the woods there's a HUGO BOSS outlet where one can find a $700 suit for around $150-$200!  The reason?  One or two things that are either missing (buttons) or something is slightly irregular.  Nothing that can't be fixed by a competent tailor. You'd be amazed how much the maker's will knock off their suits just because of one or two defects.  And once they are fixed, you will be hard pressed to notice ANYTHING wrong with the suit.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Mens Wearhouse -  You are likely to need a nice suit  when on duty.  There will be social situations where it is appropriate and uniform isn't.  And if you need one in a hurry you may be out of luck.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Buy a suit, hippy!!! Somebody's going to die or get married soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:39:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Buy one at a store that allows returns. Wear it for a couple of hours. Then return it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#22]
No shit, just buy a flippin suite dude.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Dave, when you get your commission, you'll be rolling in dough.
Put it on a credit card.

OR, buy a nice used suit and tailor the shit out of it.
The fit of a suit is as important as the cut or quality.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Dave - no one has mentioned Goodwill of Milwaukee.

Lots of people your size die everyday and their suits eventually make it to Goodwill (and they don't all live in the ghetto - so youz won't be stuck with some shiny, super-fly zoot suit).

There's a couple in Waukesha too.  You need to get lucky (if you hunt real hard through all the racks) sometimes but overall, you simply cannot beat the prices.  Cheaper than going to tux rental place fo sho!

And good luck with your boards.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Dude if your going to be a officer then you'll need something nice to wear.  You'll have a least one nice dinner with some stuffy ass 0-6/7. Just buy a suit at JC penny and have it tailored. A cheap suit will be a hundred times better when its tailored. You could also go with the slacks/ blazer thing-works well for all ocasions.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#27]
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -

Add "own a suit" to that quote from Heilein

ETA,    If you already own a good pair of slacks, in khaki or navy, just get a blazer.  
(I'll assume you own a nice white shirt and decent tie)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Buy one, you'll need one eventually.

1.  Job interview
2.  Wedding (one of your buddies, relatives or your SO's friends, relatives ... too many to list)
3.  Funerals
4.  Business meetings (your day-to-day dress code may not require a suit but for big meetings or social events, you will need one)

Go to J. C. Penney's ... they make good suits and they're cheap.  Their suits are mentioned in the book "The Millionaire Next Door".

Alternatively, Macy's was having two for one sale on suits last week, maybe it's still in effect.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I ended up renting:

Suit
Shirt
Tie
Shoes

for $110 from a local shop.

Now, to go to what I hope will be the last job interview of my life (the board)...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Seems like you could have tossed in a little bit more and owned one.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top