Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 4:55:47 PM EDT
Well I guess Arfcom is a good a place as any to ask this - I've got information about obscure shit here before. Here goes.
I recently bought a 97 Honda Civic LX 4DSD 1.6 with 78,000 miles to get me back and forth to work as the wifey is now pregnant and will be taking my truck. Anyway, I've noticed an issue with my auto transmission. When I take my foot off the gas at low or mid level speeds (10-30 mph or so) the car feels like it's in a lower gear than it should be in. You can feel the car slowing itself down, as if the car has downshifted on it's own, or possibly not shifted to a high enough gear for the speed I'm driving at. In other words, you feel resistance to your rolling along, slowing you down, as if the tranny is in a lower gear than would be appropriate for that speed. Does that make sense?
Where's my rice burner mechanics? Will I need a new tranny or will this just be an adjustment? Fingers crossed.
Thanks lads.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
DOW,

First I am not a mechanic, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either.  I had a buddy with a similar problem with his toyota.  It turned out to be the torque converter.  If I remember correctly, he was able to deactivate it by pulling a fuse.  Anyways, it is something that you could check.  I do know that honda has recalled a bunch (>1.4 million) of cars the past few months for bad transmissions.  Yours might be covered in one of the recalls.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump. Help a brother out guys
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Does this happen all the time.. or does it go away when the car warms up?  All I know is that I have owned three Honda's and the first thing you learn about Honda's is that the transmissions are a bit strange.  They shift hard and run fast and all that stuff that normally would be bad.. I know this isnt a real answer to your question .. but.. anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top