Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 3:53:20 PM EDT
Could you survive in the wilderness?  Moreover, could you survive with little more than the clothes on your back?  That's the question explored by the 1997 movie, The Edge.

Most of you have probably seen it.  If not, rent it, or catch it on the tube.  It's a great flick.

Anthomy Hopkins stars as Charles Morse a 60ish billionaire married to a gorgeous super model.  He accompanies her on a photo shoot in Alaska, maybe suspecting but not knowing she was carrying on an affair with her brash photographer,  Robert Green (played by Alec Baldwin). After receiving two fortunate birthday gifts - a survival handbook and a 4 inch pocket knife, Morse and Green are stranded deep in the Alaskan wilderness after their plane crashes.  With little more than his knife and a few flares, Morse must apply what he learned in his survival book to escape a grizzly bear and survive the elements.

In one famous scene, he makes a compass out of an arm from his watch, a leaf, and a pool of water.  It was ingenious. Other survival measures he exercised included making a shelter, starting fire, making wooden stakes, animal snares, fishing, skinning and eating animals ... and more.

Could you have hacked it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Not sure if I would have lived through to the end, but I definitely would have offed Alec Baldwin as soon as the first opportunity arrived.

But that's just me.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Piece of cake!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as I could find a cabin with a working rifle...and ammo.

I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't give up. I think I could hold my own. However, having a second person who is useless....I would cut the dead weight...he could become bear bait or food...depending on my needs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Survival is something I've been studying for about 20 years now and I still feel I don't know enough. However I would have used the sharpened stick on Baldwin first!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#5]
A green horn with a book and a pocket knife? Well, having spent some time in the Northern Ontario bush, I can say without any hesitation that there is no way. Exposure, malnutrition, insects and preditors. The combination would make short work of anyone so ill equipped.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:28:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Using the guy with the dreds as a decoy/bait was a stroke of genius by Hopkins.

Too bad Baldwin didn't end up as bear scat too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:31:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps I'll have to rent the movie.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]
That movie is the shit, thanks I will rent it tonight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#9]
It did help that Anthony Hopkin's character had a photographic memory. He could remember word for word everything he had read in the survival book.  He knew how to do just about everything in the world, but had no practical experience.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:49:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Could you survive in the wilderness?  Moreover, could you survive with little more than the clothes on your back?  That's the question explored by the 1997 movie, The Edge.

Could you have hacked it?

Nope...I will cry out for my Mommy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:51:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:55:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I think that I could probably do better than most.
I have always thought that if they wanted to do a REAL "Survivor" to drop them off in the middle of Alaska. If they didn't have insect repellent  there would be some people going nuts, literally.
Hell, I have seen people almost lose it when they were slathered in the shit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:59:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think that I could probably do better than most.
I have always thought that if they wanted to do a REAL "Survivor" to drop them off in the middle of Alaska. If they didn't have insect repellent  there would be some people going nuts, literally.
Hell, I have seen people almost lose it when they were slathered in the shit.

I would LOVE to not only see, but participate in a "real" survivor type show.
My wife thinks I could hold my own in a case like that. It would be fun to be put to the test. Trying for a million dollars would be the ultimate......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top