Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 1:23:54 PM EDT
Just thought you would like to know. I am training for Marine OCS now and I am running 3 mils a day when its in the mid 90's. This should start to get me in much better shape.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
how fast do you have you 3 miles down to?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah...it does suck.
It finally cooled off enough here to make my run easier. Sucking down exhuast fumes or BBQ smoke at 90+ degrees and high humidity is ass.

Give me a rainy, 60 degree day.
If you can, run at night, after the sun sets....takes a few degrees off
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
how fast do you have you 3 miles down to?

I want to get my run time down to 22 minutes. That is slow for OCS but its still faster than I am doing it now.

Give me a rainy, 60 degree day.
If you can, run at night, after the sun sets....takes a few degrees off

Actually if I do run at night, its with a flak jacket on. I only started running during the day because I wanted the high heat. Here is me after a run.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I shouldn't admit it, but I like running in the heat. My wife doesn't like it when I do, but I actually like it.

Of course, there isn't anyone running behind me or next to me screaming in my ear, and my runs are a little more casual these days (as I've gotten older). Love that Texas heat!  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Actually if I do run at night, its with a flak jacket on. I only started running during the day because I wanted the high heat. Here is me after a run.

hellooo heat stroke!

damn I hate running in a flak
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to drop 4 minutes off that time.

Also, be careful with the flak jacket.  I used to run with flak, deuce gear with 2 full canteens when I was training for the Marine Corps marathon and it totaled my legs.  

Good shoes, soft earth.

Semper Fi!

ETA:  3 miles = less that 18 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Call me weird, but I love running in the heat.  I love doing a 10K in 90+ weather (not many of those days in MI).  It's the winter I have.  I see people running in the mornings during the winter when it's like 0 degrees out and just shake my head.
For the Corps, running in the heat would be good training.  If you can finish 10K in the extreme heat, you should be able to fly through 3 miles during more temperate weather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top