Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/29/2004 9:37:47 AM EDT
it sure is amazing how many times the republican controlled congress has tried to take more and more freedoms away from us in just 4 short years.

patriot act
patriot act 2
victory act
campaign finance reform
induce act
etc.

amazing. remember when the republican party used to be about limited government? gone are those days. i guess we should just all settle for the lesser of two evils and just go back to sleep, huh?

yeah...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#2]
We have lost more rights due the "war on drugs" than anything else.

Have you read the Patriot Act?  Another one of those "but I heard............." types.

I like the fictitious acts that you come up with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When was the Patriot Act II passed?  When was the Victory Act passed?  When was the Induce Act passed?

Please dont confuse the issue with your pesky facts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
it sure is amazing how many times the republican controlled congress has tried to take more and more freedoms away from us in just 4 short years.

patriot act
patriot act 2
victory act
campaign finance reform
induce act
etc.

amazing. remember when the republican party used to be about limited government? gone are those days. i guess we should just all settle for the lesser of two evils and just go back to sleep, huh?

yeah...

I think you will find most of YOUR lost freedoms are lost because of your tremendous ignorance.
Being so uninformed must be quite a burden.

Which of these Acts has passed?

Tell me, are you a foreign agent?
If you are, then yes, the Patriot Act has taken away "rights" that the democrats once gave you (under FISA).
Otherwise, beat it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#7]
"But some guy on the internet told me that because of the Patriot Act, the FBI can just detain me at any time, strip me of my citizenship and deport me back to my ancestors country of origins, Ireland which none of my family has ever set foot on since maybe 150 years ago!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#9]
What was that bill that just sunset .... hrm, I can't quite think of it ... it should be on the tip of my tongue ... had something to do with ... gosh, what was it. I can't think of it.

It's too bad the Republicans forecefully denied it from being brought back up though. I mean, they are adding so much more legislation, why not extend this one?

Doc
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#11]
It sure is amazing how many posts ol' poink comes up with to bash on Repubs, Bush, and the military.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#12]
The only thing that comes to mind is the Campaign Finance Reform law.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]
actually, those were all acts introduced to a republican congress. ashcroft and the bush administration was seeking the passage of patriot act 2 and the victory act. go read about them, at objective sites, and see what wonderful things would have been in store for us if they were to pass.

you dismiss all of these bills as being fake, even though they are real, and claim to be savvy? please...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#15]
BUT I CAN'T GET ON AN AIRLINER WITH A SKIL-SAW!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to the Republican controlled congress I can now buy a AR with all the accessories that piss of Democrats
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We have lost more rights due the "war on drugs" than anything else.

Have you read the Patriot Act?  Another one of those "but I heard............." types.

I like the fictitious acts that you come up with.

I have read The US Patriot Act.  The only provision I like in it fall under section 217, which for the first time specifically defines what and how the FBI can wiretap internet connections.

Other than that, there are some areas I do not like.  Specifically, areas where they replace "may" with "will."  That simple change in wording removes the judges right to oversite.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

patriot act
patriot act 2
victory act
campaign finance reform
induce act
etc.

yeah...

I think you will find most of YOUR lost freedoms are lost because of your tremendous ignorance.

If you are, then yes, the Patriot Act has taken away "rights" that the democrats once gave you (under FISA).
Otherwise, beat it.

patriot act pass, the induce act passed, and CFR passed. 3 for 5 isn't all that bad, huh?

sure, you guys might not mind the fact of the feds knowing your shopping records, your spending habits, and a whole host of other personal information under this administration, but what if some other administration, like clinton part 2 comes into power? will you still feel the same?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
actually, those were all acts introduced to a republican congress. ashcroft and the bush administration was seeking the passage of patriot act 2 and the victory act. go read about them, at objective sites, and see what wonderful things would have been in store for us if they were to pass.

you dismiss all of these bills as being fake, even though they are real, and claim to be savvy? please...

Objective leftist sites, I am sure.  Name one of your "objective" sites.  A bill being introduced does not garauntee passage.  I guess you are voting Democrat, huh.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It sure is amazing how many posts ol' poink comes up with to bash on Repubs, Bush, and the military.

when have i ever bashed the organization in which i have served?

questioning bad domestic policy does not equal hating this country or its military.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Objective leftist sites, I am sure.  Name one of your "objective" sites.  A bill being introduced does not garauntee passage.  I guess you are voting Democrat, huh.

the day i vote leftists into power....

i was a republican, but this party left me, not the other way around. LP does not equal 'liberal'
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

patriot act
patriot act 2
victory act
campaign finance reform
induce act
etc.

yeah...

Otherwise, beat it.

patriot act pass, the induce act passed, and CFR passed. 3 for 5 isn't all that bad, huh?

sure, you guys might not mind the fact of the feds knowing your shopping records, your spending habits, and a whole host of other personal information under this administration, but what if some other administration, like clinton part 2 comes into power? will you still feel the same?

When did the Induce Act pass?

the induce act passed yesterday in the house.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

patriot act
patriot act 2
victory act
campaign finance reform
induce act
etc.

yeah...

Otherwise, beat it.

Explain the "induce act".
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

patriot act
patriot act 2
victory act
campaign finance reform
induce act
etc.

yeah...

Otherwise, beat it.

I'll give you $100 if you can show me the provision in ANY of the bills you've mentioned that allows "the feds to know your shopping records, your spending habits".
That's right, $100.

BUT, if you can't provide me the direct quote from the LAW...

...YOU have to admit publically that you're an idiot.

Deal?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

patriot act
patriot act 2
victory act
campaign finance reform
induce act
etc.

yeah...

Otherwise, beat it.

Explain the "induce act".

more federal snooping into our computers and jail time for anyone found with more than 1000 mp3's.

don't get mad at me if i have problems with some in congress being whores to the MPAA and RIAA.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

patriot act
patriot act 2
victory act
campaign finance reform
induce act
etc.

yeah...

Otherwise, beat it.

I'll give you $100 if you can show me the provision in ANY of the bills you've mentioned that allows "the feds to know your shopping records, your spending habits".
That's right, $100.

Deal?

did i ever say that is currently the law? no. it was proposed under legislation being introduced under this administration. god forbid it were to pass.

normally, i loathe and abhor the ACLU (their stance on religion, defending NAMBLA, gun rights, etc), but they are doing somethings right when it comes civil liberties
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#31]
You didn't go back far enough. How about the firearms act and the 1969 bill taking away our gun rights. All passed under a Republican controlled gubmint. I'm afraid. Very very afraid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

patriot act
patriot act 2
victory act
campaign finance reform
induce act
etc.

yeah...

Otherwise, beat it.

When did the Induce Act pass?

the induce act passed yesterday in the house.

You do realize that doesn't make it law, right?

if it managed to pass in the house, do you honestly believe it wont pass in the senate? have you seen bush exercising his veto power at all? you think he is going to start here?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

patriot act
patriot act 2
victory act
campaign finance reform
induce act
etc.

yeah...

Otherwise, beat it.

That's right, $100.

Deal?

did i ever say that is currently the law? no. it was proposed under legislation being introduced under this administration. god forbid it were to pass.

normally, i loathe and abhor the ACLU (their stance on religion, defending NAMBLA, gun rights, etc), but they are doing somethings right when it comes civil liberties

Okay, then I'll give you $100 to show it in the form of a bill. Show where it allows "the feds to know your shopping records, your spending habits".

Be specific with a quote and a link.
Show the actual text from the bill.

Or admit that you're an idiot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

patriot act
patriot act 2
victory act
campaign finance reform
induce act
etc.

yeah...

Otherwise, beat it.

That's right, $100.

Deal?

Yeah, they will defend every amendment except the Second.  Great group...........not!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You didn't go back far enough. How about the firearms act and the 1969 bill taking away our gun rights. All passed under a Republican controlled gubmint. I'm afraid. Very very afraid.

Which firearms act?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#39]
widmn you got your facts wrong.  The Republicans did not control the government in 1969.  Democrats contolled the House and Senate, And Nixon (R) was in the White House.  Also, a majority of state legislatures were democrat.

Also, you must be talking about the GCA of 1968, NOT 1969---In which case Lyndon Johnson was in the White House and the Democraps contolled everything.   So don't try to pin that on the repubs
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#42]

more federal snooping into our computers and jail time for anyone found with more than 1000 mp3's.

don't get mad at me if i have problems with some in congress being whores to the MPAA and RIAA.

Okay, here's the "Induce Act", genius.  Show me the part about "jail time for anyone found with more than 1000 mp3's."
Again, I'll give you $100 if you can show us....

A BILL

To amend chapter 5 of title 17, United States Code, relating to
inducement of copyright infringement, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United
States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ``Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act
of 2004''.

SEC. 2. INTENTIONAL INDUCEMENT OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

Section 501 of title 17, United States Code, is amended by adding at
the end the following:

``(g)(1) In this subsection, the term `intentionally induces' means
intentionally aids, abets, induces, or procures, and intent may be
shown by acts from which a reasonable person would find intent to
induce infringement based upon all relevant information about such
acts then reasonably available to the actor, including whether the
activity relies on infringement for its commercial viability.

``(2) Whoever intentionally induces any violation identified in
subsection (a) shall be liable as an infringer.

``(3) Nothing in this subsection shall enlarge or diminish the
doctrines of vicarious and contributory liability for copyright
infringement or require any court to unjustly withhold or impose any
secondary liability for copyright infringement.''.

Here's a link to the Chapter and Title of the US Code that the "Induce Act" proposes amending...

assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000501----000-.html

Well?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#43]
it's not this administration i worry about abusing these laws it is subsequent administrations.

for example, the interstate commerce act and RICO. both had narrowly defined roles when introduced into congress and passed. since then, the ICA has been used by the federal government to get into anything and everything they want. RICO was introduced to take down the mafia, and now it is being used against petty thugs and drug dealers.

anyone remember when allen iverson had a bunch of additional charges placed against him because of the patriot act? he had millions to hire the best lawyers and fight it. do any of you have the same means to do the same?

government is not the real enemy, it is extreme ignorance and denial so many people live in.

'well, it won't happen to me'
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Okay, here's the "Induce Act", genius.  Show me the part about "jail time for anyone found with more than 1000 mp3's."
Again, I'll give you $100 if you can show us....

A BILL

To amend chapter 5 of title 17, United States Code, relating to
inducement of copyright infringement, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United
States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ``Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act
of 2004''.

SEC. 2. INTENTIONAL INDUCEMENT OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

Section 501 of title 17, United States Code, is amended by adding at
the end the following:

``(g)(1) In this subsection, the term `intentionally induces' means
intentionally aids, abets, induces, or procures, and intent may be
shown by acts from which a reasonable person would find intent to
induce infringement based upon all relevant information about such
acts then reasonably available to the actor, including whether the
activity relies on infringement for its commercial viability.

``(2) Whoever intentionally induces any violation identified in
subsection (a) shall be liable as an infringer.

``(3) Nothing in this subsection shall enlarge or diminish the
doctrines of vicarious and contributory liability for copyright
infringement or require any court to unjustly withhold or impose any
secondary liability for copyright infringement.''.

Well?

Damn those pesky facts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

anyone remember when allen iverson had a bunch of additional charges placed against him because of the patriot act? he had millions to hire the best lawyers and fight it. do any of you have the same means to do the same?

government is not the real enemy, it is extreme ignorance and denial so many people live in.

'well, it won't happen to me'

'splain to us about the punkass Iverson.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#47]
C'mon poink.

I want to Paypal you that $100, or hear you admit you're an idiot.

I'm waiting....
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#48]
 User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US House passes bill targeting Net song swappers

WASHINGTON, Sept 28 (Reuters) - Users of Internet "peer to peer" networks, already dodging lawsuits from the recording industry, could face up to three years in prison under a bill passed by the U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday.

The House voted to enlist the government to a greater degree in the entertainment industry's fight against those who copy its products over the Internet.

Federal agents would be directed to educate the public about copyright rules and go after those who allow others to copy their music collections through "peer to peer" networks like Kazaa and Morpheus.

Those who secretly videotape movies when they are shown in theaters would also face prison sentences of up to three years under the bill, which passed by voice vote.

"The Internet has revolutionized how Americans locate information, shop and communicate," said Texas Republican Rep. Lamar Smith, a sponsor of the bill. "We must not let new Internet technologies become a haven for criminals."

The Senate approved a similar bill in June, but differences must be reconciled before President George W. Bush signs it into law.

The Motion Picture Association of America applauded the bill's passage, while consumer groups, conservative groups and libraries said it would radically broaden copyright law and drag the government into a battle that should be handled by the entertainment industry.

Movie studios and recording companies have pressed Congress to help them in their fight against file-trading networks and their millions of users.

The recording industry says file-trading is partly to blame for a slump in CD sales, and movie studios have reacted with alarm as blockbuster films appear online before they're even released in theaters.

The recording industry has sued more than 3,000 individuals over the past year for copyright violations, but the Justice Department so far has brought only a handful of cases against the heaviest traffickers.

The bill would train agents to investigate intellectual-property crimes and allow them to send warnings to users they suspect of copying songs illegally. Those found to be sharing more than 1,000 copyrighted files would face jail time.

One provision of the bill is likely to anger Hollywood, as it shields companies that edit out sex and violence from movies to make them more "family friendly." Movie directors have sought to shut down such companies in court.

Copyright bills are likely to loom large in the waning weeks of Congress. The Senate this week is expected to consider a measure that would make it easier to sue peer-to-peer networks, which has drawn spirited opposition from the technology industry.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2004092820130002564469&dt=20040928201300&w=RTR&coview=
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

don't get mad at me if i have problems with some in congress being whores to the MPAA and RIAA obeying the law and paying for my music like every generation before me.

There - fixed it for you.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top