Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 6:46:34 AM EDT
My youngest son asked me the difference between Democrats and Republicans, as I explained the difference to him, I gave him examples of some people that he knows that are democrats and some that are Republicans.  He stated "Republicans are smarter than right"?.  My son is 10 years old.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, by definition.  Why else would they want to give more of their money to the gov't?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#3]
They are not stupid cuz theey are Democrats. They are Democrats cuz they are stupid.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:57:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, and No.

DemoRats seem to attract the fringe:

1.  College Professor/highly educated (indocrinated) types

2.  Dregs of society, mooching off the rest of us.  Think leeches.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that naive is a better label for dems. Or "Republicans are more mature than dems"

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Dems are emotionally driven.  Republicans tend to be more logic driven.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think so. They're just more prone to thinking with their emotions instead of logic. I've met some very smart Dems/Libs that pose very intelligent arguments. However, they were wrong.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:07:09 AM EDT
[#9]
No, I think people tend to form their idealogies based on their personal needs and interests. For example, less wealthy people tend to go Dem because they're more focused on social issues.

On the other hand, the leaders of the Democratic party are a bunch of retards.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with DoubleFeed. I think it's silly to try and make the generalization that Republicans are smarter than Democrats. I've met plenty of smart Democrats, plent of smart Republicans, and plenty of dumb Democrats and dumb Republicans.

For a lot of people their politics do not define who they are. Their politics are maybe only a small fraction of what makes that person up.  Now I'm not talking about the ultra left wingers here like the moonbats at DU. I'm talking about normal people, normal Americans here. If you were to ask the question, "Are Republicans smarter than the nut cases over at DU?" Then I'd say you're on to something.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Most people choose their political leaning the same way they choose their religion:  they inherit it.  It would be wrong to assume Dem or Rep had some genetic component.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:14:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

trust me, you can be a college prof. with a Phd. and still be a complete dumbass
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

trust me, you can be a college prof. with a Phd. and still be a complete dumbass

Or an MD.

I figure that some people memorize better than others, excelling futher in school.  It doesn't mean they are good at everything, and some can't think logically.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Dems are emotionally driven.  Republicans tend to be more logic driven.

Following that logic (heh), an article in The New York Times discussed that very issue.

A few months before retiring from public office in 2002, the House majority leader Dick Armey caused a mini-scandal when he announced during a speech in Florida, ''Liberals are, in my estimation, just not bright people.'' The former economics professor went on to clarify that liberals were drawn to ''occupations of the heart,'' while conservatives favored ''occupations of the brain,'' like economics or engineering.

The odd thing about Armey's statement was that it displayed a fuzzy, unscientific understanding of the brain itself: our most compassionate (or cowardly) feelings are as much a product of the brain as ''rational choice'' economic theory is. They just emanate from a different part of the brain -- most notably, the amygdala, the almond-shaped body that lies below the neocortex, in an older brain region sometimes called the limbic system. Studies of stroke victims, as well as scans of normal brains, have persuasively shown that the amygdala plays a key role in the creation of emotions like fear or empathy.

If amygdala activity is a reliable indication of emotional response, a fascinating possibility opens up: turning Armey's muddled poetry into a testable hypothesis. Do liberals ''think'' with their limbic system more than conservatives do? As it happens, some early research suggests that Armey might have been on to something after all.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, and No.

2.  Dregs of society, mooching off the rest of us.  Think leeches.

3. Those who aren't able to provide for all their own needs, for whatever reason, such as somebody who rolled bad dice in the genetic lottery, and needs really expensive medical care.

'

I thought I covered that with #2
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Democrats: Gullible, highly emotional.

Republicans: Logical, calculating.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or an MD.

I figure that some people memorize better than others, excelling futher in school.  It doesn't mean they are good at everything, and some can't think logically.

Totally true. My fiance is a PA student and she can attest to the fact that some MD's are totally stupid.

Here's a story she told me just the other day on her current clinical rotation:

So she's working with this doctor (dermatoligist) who is talking about his son. His son is living out in CA trying to get an acting career started. Anyway, his son has a pretty old and beat up car and the battery died on it, so the son went out to buy a new battery. Well, he picks up the battery and installs it in the car and then goes to close the hood. Well, the hood won't shut because the battery sticks up too far and prevents the hood from latching all the way. Now, any half way intelligent person would realize, "Hey, maybe that's not the right battery in there, since the original one fit fine." But no, what does this kid do? He decides to duct tape the hood of his car shut ! And then as he's driving down the highway the duct tape rips, the hood flies up and breaks the windshield!

Well, my fiance says that the doctor then says,"Man, I feel so sorry for the kid! It just sems that he's had such a string of bad luck." And my fiance, knowing nearly nothing about how anything under the hood of a car works, is able to understand how what happened has nothing to do with bad luck, but that the son was a dumbass for :

1. Not buying the right battery in the first place (Hello, check the owner's manual ever?)
2. Not realizing that the battery was the WRONG battery when the hood wouldn't close on it  (I would think this would be obvious)
3. Thinking that duct tape was going to be the solution to the problem (Ok, I can forgive him for this one )

But for some reason the doctor can't seem to realize that it was stupidity and not bad luck that caused the problem. Somehow I think he probably would have done the same thing himself if he were in that situation.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Intelligence isn't so much the issue as dependency.  Democrats are almost exclusively from the parasitic segments of society.  Welfare recipients, college professors, trial lawyers, public sector employees, civil rights activists, and anyone who receives a check from the government, all are disproportionately Democrats.  Unfortunately, these sort of people make up a greater portion of our population now than ever before.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I just scratched "holding hood down" off of my list of "Uses For Duct Tape."  

No! Don't do it! He MUST have been using an off brand or something. I'll have to investigate this further...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Is the Pope Catholic?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top