Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 6:46:07 AM EDT

So. The story is finally complete.
 I've yet to read the "The Dark Tower", I'm rereading through the entire series before I delve into book 7, and had timed mt reading expecting an early October release date, I'm dying to go ahead and read 7 but I'm going to stick to my guns(with big sandalwood grips) and go with my original plan. I still need to reread "Wolves of Calla" and "Song of Susannah" and I need to read "Little Sisters of Eluria". The way I look at it, I've been reading this story for over 10 years, another few days wont kill me.

Without any spoilers What did you think? Does everything tie up neatly? How many pages is book 7(I'm hoping for something the size of "Atlas Shrugged" )? Do you think SK is really done?

echo6
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Book 7 is coming out? Oh crap! I haven't even read book 6 yet.

I better get movin'.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I just started #7.  I would guess that it ties up neatly with a touch of King's signature weirdness, does that make sense?  As the story progresses, I think the phrase "Ka is a wheel" is going to come back and bite us in the butt.  He's got too much from this world to that world meddling.  I don't want it to be a wheel, the end is a beginning, is an end, is a beginning is a pain in my butt.   but I think it's gonna be.  Somebody who's read it please tell me I'm wrong.  No spoilers, just tell me I'm wrong.  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

In the words of Eddie:

"Damn your Ka - Kaka!"  

Echo6, you've got the right idea!  I started reading the series when the third came out in '91.  I should have gone back and re-read some of the earlier ones so that the whole story would be fresh in my mind.  I've fogotten most of the wastelands.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
When did Little Sisters of Eluria hit the stand? I'm in a small town with just a Wal-Mart for a bookstore?

Thanks
Karl
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I finished the Dark Tower this morning. I got the first book right after it came out, I must have been 10 or 11, it was my first Stephen King book. Wow, twenty years, give or take.

I remember when sai King had his accident and I was hysterical. "He can't die! He has to finish the Dark Tower series!", my wife thought I was nuts.

I would like to keep this thread open for reviews and peoples thought on the book. I am interested to hear what others think.

Personally, I really don't have an opinion yet  I think I need a little time to think about it.

96Ag
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When did Little Sisters of Eluria hit the stand? I'm in a small town with just a Wal-Mart for a bookstore?

Thanks
Karl

Sisters of Eluria is a short story about Roland in a collection of SK short stories called Everything's Eventual.

My copy of The Dark Tower should be here tomorrow!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Alright, no spoilers. I like it up until close to the end. There was a scene (NO SPOILERS!!) that King's narrative described as one "you won't want to read and I don't want to write" and I bought it all right up to that point but then... I don't know. It seemed like he wanted to finish the story after that but he was writing it instead of it writing itself, as he always said it had been.

YMMV. I'm glad I bought it. I'm satisfied with the story. But I think there was another story he was heading towards and then veered away from. Maybe I'll write him a letter to ask and avoid the phrase, "I'm your number one fan...."
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothin but love,
finished it the day it came out.

The end, while shocking at first is great. you have to give it a couple of days thought but I am happy with it.

Fuck the haters. Great story, one of his finest works.

ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Against my better judgement(Ka like the wind) I went into B&N today. I was going to drive past it, but I was pulled in by a force stronger than myself. I convinced myself I was just going to buy "Everything's Eventual" so I could read about The Little Sisters. As I was heading towards the SK section, there it was "The Dark Tower" on the shelf with the Other new releases.

I bought it. I'm not going to take it out of the bag ( although it calls to me ) until I've finished the others.

tower junkie,
echo6
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Against my better judgement(Ka like the wind)

OOPs!  Ka's a wind, not a wheel.  Has it ever been a wheel?  Maybe I'm getting confused w/ Casca.  Darn series books, me thinks me getting them all discombubbulated.  

Edited to add a handy dandy link:

www.thedarktower.net/
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I had no idea this was still going on.  I read the first book or two and got tired of waiting.  All I remember is some cowboy wandering the beach popping into people's heads looking for antibiotics.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I had no idea this was still going on.  I read the first book or two and got tired of waiting.  All I remember is some cowboy wandering the beach popping into people's heads looking for antibiotics.

and astin
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok. I've thumbed through the book & looked at all the illustrations. The one of Flagg oppisite of Page 174 is exactly how I pictured him from the Stand( & later Eyes of the Dragon ) kreepy. I really wish the "Little Sisters of Eluria" would grab me. I still have two more entire novels two read before I can read TDT, and I have it in my possession ARRGGGHHHH.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok. I've thumbed through the book & looked at all the illustrations. The one of Flagg oppisite of Page 174 is exactly how I pictured him from the Stand( & later Eyes of the Dragon ) kreepy. I really wish the "Little Sisters of Eluria" would grab me. I still have two more entire novels two read before I can read TDT, and I have it in my possession ARRGGGHHHH.

hmmmmm, i really liked Sisters of Eluria.  of course i was so hard up for a Tower fix at the time, that I probably would have loved anything with Roland.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Are they any good? I liked The Stand but never bothered to read much else by King, except some Dungeons and Dragons type book he wrote.

The Dungeons & Dragons type book would probably be "Eyes of the Dragon" good read and tyes into The Dark Tower Series. "The Stand" ties in as well, as do MANY of his other books.

As for if they are any good or not, The Dark Tower books are, by far, the best series of books I have read. This isnt a light statement either, as I am a voracious reader. Before the internet it was not unusuall for me devour 2 or 3 novels per week.

If you enjoyed "The Stand" you owe it to yourself to read about the rest of the story

Long Days and Plesant Nights,
echo6
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm about halfway through so the last book so far.  Just got past the scene I didn't want to read, and he didn't want to write.

It's rockin' so far.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm about halfway through so the last book so far.  Just got past the scene I didn't want to read, and he didn't want to write.

It's rockin' so far.

My copy of The Dark Tower just arrived.  I am getting sad even hearing you people talking about this scene. Don't tell me, but I am assuming that it is where Roland dies.  He doesn't make it to the fucking Tower does he?!?  I am goning to be spendin tonight reading this book for sure.  I probably won't rest until I finish it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#18]

I loved the part at the end of The Dark Tower where Eddie and Susannah mutually commit suicide, so that Roland won't die trying to save them from the trap that Flagg has set.

Just kidding!  I haven't even read it yet.  I made that up.  Don't be angry!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I loved the part at the end of The Dark Tower where Eddie and Susannah mutually commit suicide, so that Roland won't die trying to save them from the trap that Flagg has set.

ARRRGHHH!!!  Dont do that to me!  I almost had to fly down to Florida to kick your ass!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ARRRGHHH!!!  Dont do that to me!  I almost had to fly down to Florida to kick your ass!

I live for this sort of thing.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd get him first, as I'm quite a bit closer
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I like it up until close to the end.

That's what I have said about pretty much every Steven King book I have read.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been meaning to reread them all before I get the new ones.  I loaned the entire set up to Wizard and Glass to my asshat buddy before the last time I went overseas.  When I got back I found out he'd had a mental breakdown and was last seen walking the streets with a four foot wooden cross and living in a homeless shelter.  No shit.  So now I need to go buy all the others and haven't had the time/$/motivation to do so.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#25]
***SPOILERS! SKIP THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT YET!!***
Did it tie things neatly up?

NO!

It completely negated two novels which we were lead to believe were very important. I think that's what ticked me off the most. And then we have the cheesy killing of Flagg. And *then* we have the even cheesier exit of Susannah. And *then* we have the Crimson King who's nothing more than a demented Santa Claus who can't yell anything more creative than "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" and throw sneeches.

I can live with the loop ending. A lot of DT fans saw it coming as soon as the revised Gunslinger came out (How long ago was that?).

My opinion? Damned sloppy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#26]
i  think the  last  one i read  was wizards and glass book 4 irc i need to go back and read em al its been a while.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#27]
.Error.Delete this post.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Turtle Power!

I can hardly wait until I can go to the store and buy it.
I’m kinda sad that the series is over now.  No more oversized lobsters, monotrains that talk back, no more Or.

I've read it from Book One back in 1986.  Trivia Question for those who've read it.  Who was the person that was hanged and what was his crime
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Who was the person that was hanged and what was his crime

Hax, the head cook of Gilead's Castle. He was a large, dark skinned man with a gold hoop in his right ear.

Although he loved Children, he was a loyal follower of "The Good Man". To serve the cause of Farsons revolution, Hax was prepaired to poison the entire town of Taunton(or in the orignal Gunslinger the name of the town was Farson)

What do I win?

echo6
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#30]
[Crapgame from Kelly’s Hero’s] “You win a cookie.”[/Crapgame]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Hax, the head cook of Gilead's Castle. He was a large, dark skinned man with a gold hoop in his right ear.

Although he loved Children, he was a loyal follower of "The Good Man". To serve the cause of Farsons revolution, Hax was prepaired to poison the entire town of Taunton(or in the orignal Gunslinger the name of the town was Farson)

What do I win?

echo6

Well.. To be nitpicky, the poisioning of the town's meat (the town was Farson in the unrevised and in the revised Farson became the name of the man) never happened. Roland and Cuthbert ratting him out prevented that. So he wasn't executed for that. He was hanged for treason.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do I win?

echo6

Well.. To be nitpicky, the poisioning of the town's meat (the town was Farson in the unrevised and in the revised Farson became the name of the man) never happened. Roland and Cuthbert ratting him out prevented that. So he wasn't executed for that. He was hanged for treason.

To serve the cause of Farsons revolution, Hax was prepaired to poison the entire town of Taunton

Not to be nitpicky, but thats what I said, minus the actual word Treason
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do I win?

echo6

To serve the cause of Farsons revolution, Hax was prepaired to poison the entire town of Taunton

Not to be nitpicky, but thats what I said, minus the actual word Treason

Yeah.. but the question wasn't what Hax was prepared to do. He commited treason. That's why he was executed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#34]

About 1/2 way through and I'm not happy
Greedy old Ka

echo6
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Well now you've gone and done it.  I had been reading Hemingway, but I've stopped after only two books.  Now I'm starting this Dark Tower nonsense from the beginning.  I just got through the mass killing part of the first book.  What's that leave me now?  6.66 books?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#36]

6.66 books?

Nope, 19

You will understand when you get into book 6
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Of course according to the new foreward in the book I just started King thinks of it all as one book.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
***SPOILERS! SKIP THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT YET!!***
Did it tie things neatly up?

NO!

It completely negated two novels which we were lead to believe were very important. I think that's what ticked me off the most. And then we have the cheesy killing of Flagg. And *then* we have the even cheesier exit of Susannah. And *then* we have the Crimson King who's nothing more than a demented Santa Claus who can't yell anything more creative than "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" and throw sneeches.

I can live with the loop ending. A lot of DT fans saw it coming as soon as the revised Gunslinger came out (How long ago was that?).

My opinion? Damned sloppy.

I agree. The loopy ending negates the saving of the beam.

Mordred, kicks ass one minute, can't beat a bumbler the next.

Crimson King - Crimson wimp in the end.

Artist Creates Reality - just a little too convenient.

A gazillion pages over 20 years and the last 200 are lame.

He should have done better.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:41:45 AM EDT
[#39]
did achik?

dad a chum?

the lobstrosities were great.  i can't even see the word without smiling, hehe.  I read the first four books in jail, but i have not gotten books 5 or 6 yet... however i did get book 7 as B&N had it for 40% off.  

I've been a huge king fan for years.  my mom had a bunch of his books and i read them as a kid.  what's really cool is how king has tied in some of his best work to the dark tower (the stand, salems lot, the talisman)

I just finished Neil Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, which is a good read for you history/crypto geeks.  Wasn't was good as Cryptonomicon (but that's nearly impossible to top), and not quite as good as The Diamond Age (his second best book)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:27:27 AM EDT
[#40]
I've been a fan of the series ever since I picked up a 5 cent garage sale copy of The Drawing Of The Three.

I've been reading the series for so long it's kind of hard to believe it's all done.

What'd I think of the last book?

I think that King got tired of writing the series and went out like a little bitch. You'll know what I mean (perhaps) after you finish it.

The ending I didn't mind...the rest of the book seemed outstanding in places, but then lamer than lame in others. Nothing was tied in well, IMHO.

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SKIP THE REST OF THIS POST IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS!
What I hated about The Dark Tower

1. Flagg went out like a bitch. He's been hyped up to be one step below Satan himself throughout various books (The Stand, Eyes Of The Dragon, etc.), yet got royally fucked by a baby arachnid...WTF, over? But that would have been okay if King was trying to prove just how badass Mordred was by going through Flagg like a hot knive through butter, but...

2. Mordred goes out like a bitch! Totally anti-climatic! He's been hunting Roland and Co. for 800+ pages, only to go down in a hail of gunfire on some crazy, fever-induced kamikazee run. That would have been okay, because Roland still has to fight the Crimson King, right? But...

3. The Crimson King turns out to be a demented Santa Claus (EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!) with a bag full of sneetches! WTF, over?

4. Suze goes out like a bitch...she lives, alright, but leaves Roland to her own devices when they're practically crawling up the Dark Tower's ass. What a fucking cop-out.

5. King obviously doesn't know jack shit about guns. I've always hoped through the various books that he'd eventually get an editor who knew what the fuck, why the fuck and how the fuck when it came to firearms...apparently not. I even tried to write off the "Ruger .44 Magnum automatic" as a simple "Nozz-A-La" thing where brands and shit are different, but it was too much of a stretch for even a die-hard King fan such as myself to make.

Those were the points I can recall off the top of my head. I was at my local Fred Meyer at 0700 when they opened their doors the day the book was released. Power-read it in three days or so (would have been done sooner, but....work and all). So, it's already a little foggy in my head.

I'm sad the series ended on the note that it did. I think sai King could have made more of an effort in the last couple of books: it was painfully obvious that he was simply trying to get the nasty chore done and Constant Readers off his back. A damn shame, too.

Ah well: thanks for everything, sai King. Thankee big big.

Reading the series always makes me want to buy a pair of  5 inch, case-hardened Vaqueros in .45 Long Colt.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top