Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 2:44:38 AM EDT
What the heck is it with kids today.  My daughter traveled through Europe with a student group and ended up in Moscow during the collapse of the Soviet Union.  Then she hiked through southern Mexico down to Belize.  As if that didn't give me enough gray hairs, now my niece is going to school in Cairo and she says she's going to take her student break in Jordan.  

I voiced my concern.  She said, "Uncle you went to war when you were my age.  Don't you think that worried your mom?"

I said, "No. (You'd have to know my mom.) And besides, I had a gun and everyone with me had a gun. We could defend ourselves."  I'm all for world travel and a well rounded education, even taking chances.  However, I think Jordan might not be the best place in the world for a fair skinned American girl to visit these days.

Thanks, just needed to vent.  I guess I'm just getting way too cautious in my old age.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:46:24 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF is in Jordan? All the actions in Iraq!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:50:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Worrying doesn't help anything.

If nothing happens, you worry for nothing.  If something does happen, your worrying didn't prevent it.

Voicing your concerns and giving safety tips are your best options.  

No sense in becoming a worry-wart.

She sounds motivated enough - but is she a hippy?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:56:06 AM EDT
[#3]
At least she doesn't want to go to Fresno.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like she's pretty well made up her mind anyway.
Not much you can do about it now, except offer advice and support.
Your worry is certainly justified, but it isn't really going to help anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top