Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 12:39:35 AM EDT
Almost NOTHING that the Brits do surprises me anymore....

www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004451687,00.html

Kids flee giant spider

A GIANT spider shut down a school yesterday.

The speckled brown exotic creature — as big as a man’s palm — crawled from a set of drums brought in from Senegal for a music workshop.

The spider legged it as a teacher tried to trap it in a container.

About 350 pupils were sent home as a precaution at Whitelands Park Primary School, in Thatcham, Berks.

Experts at London Zoo said it was probably a tropical house spider — which can cause a “nasty reaction” with its bite.

The school was being fumigated and was due to re-open today.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have tried to kill it with something, but I dont care for spiders.

I had a decent size spider get in the house one day when I left the door open, I nailed it with a boot from across the room, then dropped a 155mm casing on it, to make sure it was dead.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:which can cause a “nasty reaction” with its bite.

If a Brit bit me, I would definitely get a nasty reation.  Are dentists banned there too?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#3]
lol that's funny. one reason I dont like the british much.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:which can cause a “nasty reaction” with its bite.

If a Brit bit me, I would definitely get a nasty reation.  Are dentists banned there too?

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=279246
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Giant spider?  The size of a man's palm? This from the people that invented D&D!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Giant spider?  The size of a man's palm? This from the people that invented D&D!

www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cotsq_gallery/44459_40.jpg

E. Gary Gygax was born in Chicago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:08:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but Tolkien was British, no?  D&D is based on Tolkien..  right?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#8]

I had a decent size spider get in the house one day when I left the door open, I nailed it with a boot from across the room, then dropped a 155mm casing on it, to make sure it was dead.

sure it wasn't a 105 mm case? i've never seen a 155 empty. the round goes in and then the powder bags go in behind it. no case.   thats the way its done now. just askin.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

sure it wasn't a 105 mm case? i've never seen a 155 empty. the round goes in and then the powder bags go in behind it. no case.   thats the way its done now. just askin.

Maybe it was a 105mm, I got it from someone else in my family so its old.  It a big ass case though
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#10]
yeah thats good stuff. 105 will be a little longer than your forearm. i do airborne arty.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
yeah thats good stuff. 105 will be a little longer than your forearm. i do airborne arty.

No its bigger then that
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:30:09 AM EDT
[#12]
maybe the old stuff used a case? i'm not that old. all i know is the M119'er (105mm) and the M198(155mm). is it american?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:34:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
maybe the old stuff used a case? i'm not that old. all i know is the M119'er (105mm) and the M198(155mm). is it american?

I think so, Im not sure where it came from.  I'll look at it today.

I do know on the inside it has a piece of tube with holes in it that runs up  from the primer
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#14]
yeah, thats to make sure it ignites evenly. the cool thing(besides the big bang part) is burning the unused powder bags. it's gotta be 105 i would say.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:11:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe it was an Al Quaida trained terrorist spider or maybe even a realative of the kerry kommie.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:20:50 AM EDT
[#16]
if there is one thing i hate in this world its spiders.  I have no idea why.. i dont recall having any bad experiences with them when i was little.. nevertheless.. a spider this size.. I probably would have emptied about two 30 round clips into it.  that is.. after I got done running away while screaming like a little girl.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:49:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Almost NOTHING that the Brits do surprises me anymore....

www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004451687,00.html

Kids flee giant spider

A GIANT spider shut down a school yesterday.

The speckled brown exotic creature — as big as a man’s palm — crawled from a set of drums brought in from Senegal for a music workshop.

The spider legged it as a teacher tried to trap it in a container.

About 350 pupils were sent home as a precaution at Whitelands Park Primary School, in Thatcham, Berks.

Experts at London Zoo said it was probably a tropical house spider — which can cause a “nasty reaction” with its bite.

The school was being fumigated and was due to re-open today.

This is why teachers should be armed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:00:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I kilt a spider half that big this morning.

Armed with an old  shoe.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:11:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but Tolkien was British, no?  D&D is based on Tolkien..  right?

D&D is not based on Tolkien, to the best of my knowledge.  Influenced, definitely.  Tolkien influences ALL modern fantasy, to some degree.  But the basis of D&D is more on the heroic myths involved with Arthurian legend, an example of which would be Lancelot receiving 63 mortal wounds and walking away from the battelfield.  This is the justification for having characters start at 10-15hp and end up at 300-400hp.  Also why 1st level characters do not go fight dragons . . .
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:42:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Maybe it was an Al Quaida trained terrorist spider or maybe even a realative of the kerry kommie.hr

That is funny as hell. It is like a bad James Bond plot. You have to love it when the bad guy puts the good guy in an escapable situation and assumes everything went to plan.

Hay Mohamed I have a good idea lets send the infidels a tropical house spider which can cause a “nasty reaction” if it bites on of them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:51:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Why couldn't that have happened when I was in school??
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#22]
This happenned at a school?

Why couldn't the teacher just smash it with a fucking text book?

Oh, wait, that would involve killing, and pussy metrosexuals can't handle that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top