Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 10:34:12 PM EDT
A rise in gun crimes since the sunset of the AWB?  Reason I'm asking is Congress is getting ready to repeal DC's gun control laws.  The folks in the District (Council) are pulling their hair out saying it will cause a sharp rise in gun crimes, there will be pandemonium in the streets etc. Just like they said when the AWB was going to sunset. I say good. Let the law abiding citizen have access toa gun if they want one. The district is a shining example of how gun control doesn't work.  They already have pandemonium in the streets, and the place is already a war zone.  

Bid to Lift Gun Bans Infuriates Williams
Congress's Push Called 'Outrageous'

By Spencer S. Hsu
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 29, 2004; Page B04

An angry Mayor Anthony A. Williams (D) accused members of Congress yester day of hypocrisy and abuse of power as the U.S. House of Representatives prepared to vote today on a bill repealing virtually all of the District's gun laws.

Chopping at a lectern on Capitol Hill, Williams said his nearly annual trips to defend the interests of 600,000 residents against the whims of a Congress with no voting District representative had "gotten old." City leaders, he said, had "better things to do with our time" than beg lawmakers to show restraint.

Mayor Anthony A. Williams was joined by other D.C. officials.  "For members of Congress to impose their will on the District is not only deplorable, it is the height of hypocrisy," said Williams, arguing that the change would worsen gun violence in a city in which 21 juveniles have been killed this year. Sixteen died from gunshot wounds.

"It is outrageous . . . . It is an attack on the limited democracy we have here for D.C. residents . . . . It is fundamentally not right."

The comments by Williams, who was joined at the news conference by D.C. Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey and School Superintendent Clifford B. Janey, were last-ditch efforts to fend off passage of the D.C. Personal Protection Act, sponsored by Rep. Mark Edward Souder (R-Ind.) and 227 other lawmakers.

Although passage in the House is all but certain, advocates of the repeal acknowledge that Senate approval is unlikely.

Williams, Ramsey, Janey and D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) walked into the office of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) yesterday afternoon seeking an impromptu meeting but left after waiting 20 minutes. Norton said DeLay later told her he was tied up but would call Williams.

Last night, GOP House leaders rejected proposed Democratic amendments to water down the bill by extending a national ban on 19 types of semiautomatic weapons, maintaining such an "assault weapons" ban in the District and banning armor-piercing ammunition in the city.

"The homes of this city will be safer when its law-abiding citizens are on an equal footing with its violent criminals," DeLay said on the House floor earlier. "Washington residents are American citizens and therefore deserve the same right to bear arms to defend themselves as much as anyone else."

District leaders warned of an "arms race with criminals" if the bill becomes law.

"This makes a mockery and a joke of the whole homeland security issue as far as I am concerned," Ramsey said, noting that he had to pass through a checkpoint and metal detector to reach the Capitol and that a security-related visitor center under construction "looks like a bunker to me."

"You have all these protections for the Capitol, and you make city residents fend for themselves," Ramsey said. "They're hiding in bathtubs for protection from stray bullets."

Janey said he would have to tell his students, "This is a textbook case of what not to do in a democracy."
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
"The homes of this city will be safer when its law-abiding citizens are on an equal footing with its violent criminals," DeLay said on the House floor earlier. "Washington residents are American citizens and therefore deserve the same right to bear arms to defend themselves as much as anyone else."

Bravo Mr. DeLay!

As for the increase in gun crimes - I'm a little pissed, the Brady Bunch said it would be raining AKs and UZIs could be purchased from the ice cream man.  So far, I've sent my daughter to go pick up a couple mags from Mr. Ding-A-Ling, but she says they only have Flintstones Push-Up Pops.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
If guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns.

I never thought I'd see the day that the D.C. gun ban would
actually be CONSIDERED for repeal.
Wow.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]

District leaders warned of an "arms race with criminals" if the bill becomes law.

Well, these "leaders" are fucktards.

You ALREADY have a TOTAL BAN in place and yet the criminals don't seem to give a shit, do they?  What's YOUR soloution to this, more FUCKING LAWS THAT THEY WON'T FOLLOW BECAUSE THEY ARE CRIMINALS?

Keep the law-abiding citizens disarmed and therefore DEFENSLESS TARGETS of the criminals.  Yeah, that's worked REAL well, hasn't it?

Assholes like this simply REFUSE to allow the idea that it's a RIGHT to defend oneself.  They simply cannot fathom that simple point of human survival.  Everything surrounds the idotic idea that if a law-abiding citizen defends themselves that somehow THEY ARE THE PROBLEM, that somehow THEY "ESCALATED" the confrontation.

These fuckers need to be dumped into some of these neighborhoods where only criminals have guns and see what it's REALLY like to fear for your life and be told that you CANNOT use the best tools available to defend yourself.  Let's see what these Ivory Tower protected Elite members of society feel after a week or two living in fear and not being able to do a damn thing about it, unless they are willing to become a criminal to do so.

</END RANT>
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top