[#3]
most pineapples I have eaten made kind of a squishing sound

while not as loud as a frag, it seems pretty darn close
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Pineapple pie?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]
pineapple as in 1/4 or 1/2 stick of dynamite in NYC lingo?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
what is it 7psi if your with in 10 feet?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
What... What... Are you talking... Shit my ears are ringing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yeah, they are loud

This made me laugh.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I have when I played bad guy for the SWAT team of the agency I use to work for.  Very loud, very disorienting. With eye and hearing protection they are still loud and disorienting.  In one of those at the end of the day, hail marry lets get him type things, the SWAT team decided to use real CS on me, and I did not have a mask. When I tried to "give up" they just opened the door and tossed the flashbang in. It litterally hit me in the chest then fell to the floor.  I was wearing eyes and ears, but it still rocked my world.  Now bear in mind they did this to me after about 5 or six different scenarios through out the day, in which I had taken at least one team member "with me ". My best was the scenario just before, and I had taken 4 of them with me as they tried to get me out of the building.  We used paint ball guns for the training (pre simmunition days).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
M116 hand grenade simulator. I still have the pull cord and cap from it. That was a rush seeing it go off. I didnt see it directly, but it was thrown down in a gulley and I'll always remember watching the shockwave travel up and out from it.  I also remember waking up to an arty simulator one morning too. Luckily that one will give you a few seconds to cover your ears.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Does an AR 12 inches from your ear, no protection, count?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Can the un-washed masses buy them anywhere? Just wondering.

Really, just wondering.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Can the un-washed masses buy them anywhere? Just wondering.

Really, just wondering.

S.O.

No , they are very controlled
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#14]
175db?  I'd say that is pretty loud.  
But to answer your question, never had a flashbang experience.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Hee hee hee.....
  two tonight

They are always fun

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#16]
They are destructive devices. You can buy them, with a $200 tax per, plus the cost of one, if someone will actually transfer one to you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Yup.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#18]
... are you watching The History Channel now, come on, are ya?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:44:17 AM EDT
[#19]

I was at a range at an LEO academy once, shooting with an SFOD-A (which was awesome, by the way), and a class of LEO cadets were being shown how to use a flashbang on the next range over.

Even out in the open from 25 yards away they are pretty darned loud, but the funny thing was that when they went off, they set the whole range on fire.  The instructors who had been trying to play it cool were running all over the place trying to figure out how to get it put out, and they ended up getting a bunch of convicts who were doing landscaping to beat out the fire with shovels, after it had spread all over the berm.  No one was in any danger, so it was pretty funny.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:24:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
M116 hand grenade simulator. I still have the pull cord and cap from it. That was a rush seeing it go off. I didnt see it directly, but it was thrown down in a gulley and I'll always remember watching the shockwave travel up and out from it.  I also remember waking up to an arty simulator one morning too. Luckily that one will give you a few seconds to cover your ears.

I had two of them go off in my face a few years ago ()

We had a bunch of "Ride-alongs" (Kid's who'r considering joining the unit) that were going to be with us on a MOUT drill at Millersburg (The ORNG's MOUT training village). MOUT drills are great recruiting opportunities 'cause the kids get a kick out of them running around shooting their buddies with M-16's and generally getting to "Live" some of their RPG's for a couple of days.

Each NCO was given 3 youngsters and we signed out weapons and TA-50 for them to use in the training (THAT'LL put your head on a swivel! lol "Hey Kiddo, where's that rifle?!!!" lol)  We let them act as the red force in defence most of the first day and had a good time stickin' 'em in Spider-Holes under the buildings and up in the church steeple as "snipers".

Around dusk we switched over and the unit took over the buildings and the "Reds" (16-17 yr olds) got ready to assault the village.  My little team was going to hit a building in the far corner of the complex and I sat with my guys for about an hour going over what it was we were going to do to get inside the building without being killed crossing the open ground in front of it (About 50 yards).  I told them that the doorway WOULD be booby-trapped and that we'd probably be under fire the whole time (The kids thought this was cool)

I had a yellow smoke I was going to pop at the initiation of the attack and we were going to cross the open area behind it's screen.  The "Plan" (lol) was that I would run to one side of the doorway and clear or explode any booby-traps and one of the kids would come with me to supress any fire I might be getting while doing this.  The other two kids would just generally supress anything they saw as a threat on our side. I figured it would be a total goatfuck but the youngsters would have a blast anyway.

We get to the time of the attack and I can hear and see the other teams starting their assaults so I check all my guys out (Ones a 17 yr old girl BTW) and make sure they're all set to "Rock-N-Roll" on this building.  They're all pumped and excited and having a great time  The young Lady that was with us wore glasses and I was worried about her getting disoriented in the dark with the smoke so I'd told her to stay with me by the doorway but to NOT go THROUGH the doorway before I say it's ok.  The doorway
has a set of steps leading up to it and is about 3ft above the ground so I figure she and I will use the steps for cover while she shoots and I clear any nasties out of the way.

So I pop smoke and we all take off.  The two guys do just as they were told and take-up positions where they can fire at the windows.  I run-up to the side of the doorway and kneel down to start checking for Booby-Traps (I can see two, one at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top) just as the young Lady comes CHARGING up behind me and UP(!) the stairs! LOL  Before I can yell at her to get back down she sets the top BT off about 2 1/2 ft from my face...BOOOOOM!!!!!! (Man down lol) I roll (It was more like a fall actually) to my left and start feeling my face to see if it's still attached. I've got almost no vision except for this really cool reddish-purple explosion shape dancing around in front of my eyes and my ears are ringing something fierce.

I can just make out the girl standing at the top of the steps looking at me like she's just killed me (lol) and I prop myself up on my left elbow and motion for her to get out of the doorway and make that universal "I'm OK" gesture. She does....by running BACK down the steps and setting BT number TWO OFF! ROTFLMAO!

I'm dead.  I spent the next 5 minutes leaning against the building blind (Now their TWO cool reddish-purple shapes fighting for attention), deaf (Exept for the air-raid siren going off in my head) and with a face that felt like it went 12 rounds with a BELT-SANDER.

Anyway, the kids had a good time
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Treadhead, great story.

Re:  the girl - was she hot?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:45:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Treadhead, great story.

Yeah, she was a pretty cute kid. There was another young Lady out there that week-end and both of them ended-up joining the ORNG but they went to other units. That "seems' to happen alot in my limited experience with recruiting type activities.  The girls seem to sign-up at a much higher rate than the guys.  It might be though that they're (The young Ladies) pretty Gung-Ho by the time we ever see 'em at a drill (?)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:31:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Had a grenade simulator go off about 2 feet in front of me as I walked down a trail.  Our cadre got a little careless.  It was night, so when it went off I was instantly blinded (temporarily) and the noise was enough to disorient me.

So, I just collapsed and lay there for a good ten seconds, not sure what planet I was on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:34:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes but I was wearing ear protection, I wanted to feel the concusive force and see the flash -- they work ...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:56:26 AM EDT
[#25]
We had a meth bust outside of McAlester one night about 8-9 years ago at a mobile home WAY out in the stix. The perp was a real bad guy who had no-shit NAILED an informant's tongue to the kitchen table with a 16 penny nail before and had a long history of extreme violence. When we arrived at the trailer at 2:00 AM, one of the local sheriff's (under-trained ) tac-team found him sleeping with a bedroom window open and threw in a flash-bang that landed in bed with him and his wife. It caused severe magneseum burns on their legs.

The bust went down and they were apprehended, then they later sued the shit out of the sheriff's department for use of excessive force(and won) in the federal courts over at Muskogee. Even in LEO hands, they are not to be used by the stupid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:19:39 AM EDT
[#26]
had like 5 artilley sim. go off right next to us- was ver strange - never even knew they existed.  whistle-BOOM, BOOm BOOM BOOM BOOM.  I just stood there.  half the guys dove for cover- I didnt move because I did not know where they were - guess some guy were just messing with us as we were walking through a field.

not even close to what REAL grenades do- man them things blow up good!

Sw somwhere on tv where a copper accidentally pulled a pin on his flash bank he had strapped to his leg (mayber in Milwaukee?)  went boom- he did not look in good shape after that one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Treadhead, great story.

We're talking flash-bang, not "flash and bang"!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I used to teach the class as part of entry tactics, so yes I have felt them.
It's always funny the first time a newb uses one during training, I have seen more than one throw it in a room then follow it in BEFORE it goes off.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
We had a meth bust outside of McAlester one night about 8-9 years ago at a mobile home WAY out in the stix. The perp was a real bad guy who had no-shit NAILED an informant's tongue to the kitchen table with a 16 penny nail before and had a long history of extreme violence. When we arrived at the trailer at 2:00 AM, one of the local sheriff's (under-trained ) tac-team found him sleeping with a bedroom window open and threw in a flash-bang that landed in bed with him and his wife. It caused severe magneseum burns on their legs.

The bust went down and they were apprehended, then they later sued the shit out of the sheriff's department for use of excessive force(and won) in the federal courts over at Muskogee. Even in LEO hands, they are not to be used by the stupid.

Sounds like you're from Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had two of them go off in my face a few years ago ()

We had a bunch of "Ride-alongs" (Kid's who'r considering joining the unit) that were going to be with us on a MOUT drill at Millersburg (The ORNG's MOUT training village). MOUT drills are great recruiting opportunities 'cause the kids get a kick out of them running around shooting their buddies with M-16's and generally getting to "Live" some of their RPG's for a couple of days.

Each NCO was given 3 youngsters and we signed out weapons and TA-50 for them to use in the training (THAT'LL put your head on a swivel! lol "Hey Kiddo, where's that rifle?!!!" lol)  We let them act as the red force in defence most of the first day and had a good time stickin' 'em in Spider-Holes under the buildings and up in the church steeple as "snipers".

Around dusk we switched over and the unit took over the buildings and the "Reds" (16-17 yr olds) got ready to assault the village.  My little team was going to hit a building in the far corner of the complex and I sat with my guys for about an hour going over what it was we were going to do to get inside the building without being killed crossing the open ground in front of it (About 50 yards).  I told them that the doorway WOULD be booby-trapped and that we'd probably be under fire the whole time (The kids thought this was cool)

I had a yellow smoke I was going to pop at the initiation of the attack and we were going to cross the open area behind it's screen.  The "Plan" (lol) was that I would run to one side of the doorway and clear or explode any booby-traps and one of the kids would come with me to supress any fire I might be getting while doing this.  The other two kids would just generally supress anything they saw as a threat on our side. I figured it would be a total goatfuck but the youngsters would have a blast anyway.

We get to the time of the attack and I can hear and see the other teams starting their assaults so I check all my guys out (Ones a 17 yr old girl BTW) and make sure they're all set to "Rock-N-Roll" on this building.  They're all pumped and excited and having a great time  The young Lady that was with us wore glasses and I was worried about her getting disoriented in the dark with the smoke so I'd told her to stay with me by the doorway but to NOT go THROUGH the doorway before I say it's ok.  The doorway
has a set of steps leading up to it and is about 3ft above the ground so I figure she and I will use the steps for cover while she shoots and I clear any nasties out of the way.

So I pop smoke and we all take off.  The two guys do just as they were told and take-up positions where they can fire at the windows.  I run-up to the side of the doorway and kneel down to start checking for Booby-Traps (I can see two, one at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top) just as the young Lady comes CHARGING up behind me and UP(!) the stairs! LOL  Before I can yell at her to get back down she sets the top BT off about 2 1/2 ft from my face...BOOOOOM!!!!!! (Man down lol) I roll (It was more like a fall actually) to my left and start feeling my face to see if it's still attached. I've got almost no vision except for this really cool reddish-purple explosion shape dancing around in front of my eyes and my ears are ringing something fierce.

I can just make out the girl standing at the top of the steps looking at me like she's just killed me (lol) and I prop myself up on my left elbow and motion for her to get out of the doorway and make that universal "I'm OK" gesture. She does....by running BACK down the steps and setting BT number TWO OFF! ROTFLMAO!

I'm dead.  I spent the next 5 minutes leaning against the building blind (Now their TWO cool reddish-purple shapes fighting for attention), deaf (Exept for the air-raid siren going off in my head) and with a face that felt like it went 12 rounds with a BELT-SANDER.

Anyway, the kids had a good time

LoL nice story tread!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
We had a meth bust...

tac-team found him sleeping with a bedroom window open and threw in a flash-bang that landed in bed with him and his wife. It caused severe magneseum burns on their legs.

...they later sued the shit out of the sheriff's department for use of excessive force(and won)...

As they should have, I'm sure all here would agree.

But my question: Does anyone know what kind of hearing loss is attributable to that kind of sound level?  "Is there an audiologist in the house!"
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I used to compete in car audio competitions and have done much research on sound and it's effects to the human
Sounds over 120db (dependant on frequency and duration) can begin to damage the ear, or at least this was the baseline we used at competitions as far as hearing protection. (BTW, the majority of competition level car audio systems are capable of producing levels between 150db and 175db, at LOW frequencies though compared to what a flashbang probably is)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Chuckie Schumer says they harm no one as long as they are tossed by the proper government authorities.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We had a meth bust...

tac-team found him sleeping with a bedroom window open and threw in a flash-bang that landed in bed with him and his wife. It caused severe magneseum burns on their legs.

...they later sued the shit out of the sheriff's department for use of excessive force(and won)...

As they should have, I'm sure all here would agree.

But my question: Does anyone know what kind of hearing loss is attributable to that kind of sound level?  "Is there an audiologist in the house!"

Not supposed to be a major factor

they have theses frames and you set a certain paper in them, they will tear  (simulating an ear drum)

I have never seen them rip  --- I suppose if one was right up against your ear ---- no joy, but otherwise I do not think it is a big deal for limited one time exposure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top