Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 7:15:58 PM EDT
I don't really see it this way, I guess it is but is it a tough skill to aquire?
I don't think so.
I have never taken a class and my grand father showed me how to shoot. Pretty basic, be steady, have good trigger control and you can hit any thing. And a basic knowledge of bullet drop, since you don't have to worry about rise

I just think some people try making it more complex then it is. The simpler you make it the better.

Not sure about my skill since I am a closet gunner. But here's what I can shoot.
Throwing Clays with a Mini-14  standing up out at about 100-140yards
Throwing clays with a good ar as far as I can pretty much see.
Throwing Clays with a shotgun, can shit them high low far close fast slow. About 4 out of 5 with a 12ga modified choke.
With a 9mm I can hit a bucket, or torso size target out to about 120 yards.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty good shooting. Most people need  some real help to shoot straight. Once you start getting into tactical type stuff, training is pretty much mandatory, if you want to perform at your best.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a skill.  The mroe I practice, the better I get.

Watching the 10m air rifle competition at the olympice a few weeks ago made me humble.  THe winner (a chnese woman) pretty much put all her shots into a circle 1/4" around, from a non-supported standing position, aperture sights (no scope).  

Watcing the Palma 1000 yard competition will really depress you.

I will never have the time to even approach either of those levels.  I would love to, but I like not being poor too much.

I feel good putting all the shots from my AR into a tennis ball sized group at 100 m.  (iron sights).  That is just a so-so skill.

Geoff
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pretty good shooting. Most people need  some real help to shoot straight. Once you start getting into tactical type stuff, training is pretty much mandatory, if you want to perform at your best.

Of course, then you want it to become reactive. You want to be able to do with out thinking in such a situation.

This I am going to be getting into soon. Just looking at classes etc. Front Sight is right by me but I have seen alot of other places that look great.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
It doesn't seem tough to you because you started at a young age and perhaps it seems second nature to you now. It is indeed  a skill, and one that degrades with non-use .
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
It's easy to shoot, about anyone can do it.

It takes a little skill to hit a target.

It takes more skill to hit a target consistantly.

It takes even more skill to hit a target consistantly that is moving and/or far away.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It is a skill.  The mroe I practice, the better I get.

Watching the 10m air rifle competition at the olympice a few weeks ago made me humble.  THe winner (a chnese woman) pretty much put all her shots into a circle 1/4" around, from a non-supported standing position, aperture sights (no scope).  

Watcing the Palma 1000 yard competition will really depress you.

I will never have the time to even approach either of those levels.  I would love to, but I like not being poor too much.

I feel good putting all the shots from my AR into a tennis ball sized group at 100 m.  (iron sights).  That is just a so-so skill.

Geoff

Okay see when your making a 1000 meter shot thats more math then skill as far as I have seen.

Tennis balls are fun to shoot, but try getting a nice hard rubber ball. Bounces prett nice on flat ground. Makes for fun shooting.

And I am pretty much talking about those who have problems hitting things 30 yards away from them with rifle. I have been shooting with such people. They try making it to dam complex. That close aim and pull and thats it.

Edit: Kong balls work great. Except if they are a little old they will just split.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It takes even more skill to hit a target consistantly that is moving and/or far away.

That where gopher shooting comes in. Lol they are tiny and if you get them on the run, well its alot of fun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been shooting for 23 years.  I love it and I'm good at it.  I have consistently qualified as Expert in the military.  Compared to some shooters, I don't even come close to their accuracy.  They truly have a skill.  Go post this question in the precision rifles forum - see what type of reaction you elicit from them.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been shooting for 23 years.  I love it and I'm good at it.  I have consistently qualified as Expert in the military.  Compared to some shooters, I don't even come close to their accuracy.  They truly have a skill.  Go post this question in the precision rifles forum - see what type of reaction you elicit from them.

Well math is a skill.
Lets see some one make a 1000 yard shot using iron sights? I would love to see that and no spotter no optics what so ever. And no idea of wind speed etc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1  Especially when adrenaline and stress meet. It's one thing to shoot in a controlled environment, at a target that does not move or shoot back, with no stress. When the balloon goes up everything changes. Entirely different ball game between target shooting and defensive shooting under stress with other factors involved.

Nonetheless, fundamentals are required to survive. Shooting is a diminishing skill and if you don't use it you'll lose it. You will fight as you train. Therefore: Train, Train, Train! Get with a qualified instructor and visit with him often.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
olyarms,

You're astounding.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]
If it were a natural attribute, instead of a learned skill, then the Army would not waste 8 weeks teaching it!  Think about it...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#13]
yes shooting is a skill
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess, maybe some people just aren't good? Could that be it?
I mean some people can't hold out their hand with out it shaking. How the hell do you control a barrel when your shaking the shit out of it?

And I am not claiming to be a good shot. Hell I am an ugly shot. But I got a pretty face so it evens out

Edit: I am not ragging on any ones skill, simply saying I think some try to hard and thats where they fail.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#15]
It's definately a skill. I havent met anyone that picked up a gun for the very first time and was a decent shot. The more you practice the more you refine your skill.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh yes!

Some are more of a "natural" than others, but it's a skill that gets enhanced with practice and training.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That where gopher shooting comes in. Lol they are tiny and if you get them on the run, well its alot of fun.

True.  I've gone shooting ground squirrels in some Alfalfa fields of Southern Oregon a few times.  You really learn quickly to judge distances and wind drift.  But sometimes.... I just use my AR-15 bull barrel with scope.. .and walk my shots into them.    Hey.. I got 20 rounds and they're so far away they can't figure out what's going on.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Not sure about my skill since I am a closet gunner. But here's what I can shoot.
Throwing Clays with a shotgun, can shit them high low far close fast slow. About 4 out of 5 with a 12ga modified choke.

Truly amazing skill level, expecially considering only Grandfather showed you how to shoot.  My hat's off to you.  Do you shoot clays with a rifle at a range?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Truly amazing skill level, expecially considering only Grandfather showed you how to shoot.  My hat's off to you.  Do you shoot clays with a rifle at a range?

Never have visited a range in my life, I like being alone and quiet. Kind of the point of the hobby for me. Clays are cheap and you know when you hit them. 90 clays $3
Except lately walmart has been out alot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Is Henry Bowman in the house?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Let me the first to call on your skills.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

SGtar15

I'm gonna have to +1 you on this, only cause you beat me to it.

you are trying to tell me that you can hit a clay pidgeon flying through the air at 100+ yards with a mini-14?? Who is the person that stands downrange from you throwing clays up in the air?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

SGtar15

It was the Mini-14 hitting a clay pigeon at 100 + yards wasn't it.

Mine can only do that 1/2 the time if the target was stationary and I was shooting from the bench with a scope.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I assume you mean stationary clay pigeons except with the shotgun?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Throwing Clays with a shotgun, can shit them high low far close fast slow. About 4 out of 5 with a

You can shit throwing clays?  Now THAT is a skill!

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#26]
He means stationary, I am sure. FWIW, I can hit a 5 gallon jug at 100m with a Python, but not my USP, and I have NO formal pistol training. I did read a book on it though
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Shooting is absolutely a skill!!!!

I'd like to see the average man shoot as well as half the shooters on this site.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGtar15

Mine can only do that 1/2 the time if the target was stationary and I was shooting from the bench with a scope.

Yup...and the pistol thing.

I know it CAN be done....but not easily.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Bla bla bla, everybody on the Internet is an expert marksman...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#30]
You sould efficent...I was that way when I was younger.

I am lucky to hit the backstop now...these eyes just aren't getting any better.

MT

The reason I opened this thread was to see people shooting power tools.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
He means stationary, I am sure. FWIW, I can hit a 5 gallon jug at 100m with a Python, but not my USP, and I have NO formal pistol training. I did read a book on it though

maybe I miss understood him. after re-reading i think what he is referring to as "throwing clays" are actually clay pigeons. Not "throwing" (up in the air) clays.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGtar15

All I got to say is WOW man WOW.. Where are the rounds going after you shoot the clays. The bullets just dont blow up! They go down range... 9 miles man 9 miles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGtar15

All I got to say is WOW man WOW.. Where are the rounds going after you shoot the clays. The bullets just dont blow up! They go down range... 9 miles man 9 miles.

LOL FatMcNasty!

I used super-duper frangilicious bullets that self destrut when they hit paper or clay pigeons.  They can't hurt people.  I read it on the net, so I'm sure it's true.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I don't really see it this way, I guess it is but is it a tough skill to aquire?
I don't think so.
I have never taken a class and my grand father showed me how to shoot. Pretty basic, be steady, have good trigger control and you can hit any thing. And a basic knowledge of bullet drop, since you don't have to worry about rise

I just think some people try making it more complex then it is. The simpler you make it the better.

AR or Mini 14 - about 1 MOA for the ammunition and 1 MOA for the gun. Lets say no deviation from the shooter although I don't think anyone can consistently shoot without any wobble.

That's +- 2 inches at 100 yds. Clays are what, about 4" across? At 100 yds every hit must be just about dead center.

If you can see out to, lets say 500 yds, then you have 10 MOA and so hitting a 4" target consistently is pure luck, with anything but custom loads and a match chamber, barrel, etc.

Hitting 20 of 25 with a 12 ga. is very reasonable, even I used to hit 22-25 when I was competing. Some days it was 12 of 25 though.

Hitting a torso with a 9mm at 120 yds? Consistently, I don't know, maybe after you get dialed in.

Moving targets, standing  unsupported - forget it!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGtar15

I'm gonna have to +1 you on this, only cause you beat me to it.

you are trying to tell me that you can hit a clay pidgeon flying through the air at 100+ yards with a mini-14?? Who is the person that stands downrange from you throwing clays up in the air?

Um no standing up. I I could hit them flying. Oh shit I would be in love with myself.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't think so.

AR or Mini 14 - about 1 MOA for the ammunition and 1 MOA for the gun. Lets say no deviation from the shooter although I don't think anyone can consistently shoot without any wobble.

That's +- 2 inches at 100 yds. Clays are what, about 4" across? At 100 yds every hit must be just about dead center.

If you can see out to, lets say 500 yds, then you have 10 MOA and so hitting a 4" target consistently is pure luck, with anything but custom loads and a match chamber, barrel, etc.

Hitting 20 of 25 with a 12 ga. is very reasonable, even I used to hit 22-25 when I was competing. Some days it was 12 of 25 though.

Hitting a torso with a 9mm at 120 yds? Consistently, I don't know, maybe after you get dialed in.

Moving targets, standing  unsupported - forget it!

I hope to god you can see 500 yards man. Thats not far to see. At night I could no doubt see that if its a full moon. Now if its dark and in a forest I can't see my own feet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I polish my guncraft.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Bla bla bla, everybody on the Internet is an expert marksman...

Not really... Have gone shooting with some one before I met online about 3 years ago. He was one of those ret military guys, could hit anything. Well he couldn't hit shit. It was the guns fault
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It doesn't seem tough to you because you started at a young age and perhaps it seems second nature to you now. It is indeed  a skill, and one that degrades with non-use .

Lot to be said here. I shoot the National Match course when I'm ashore.

Often an older guy will enter and say he was an expert or sharpshooter while in the service, only to fall on his ass.

(this seems to depress former Marines more than others.)

I give them tea and sympathy, and convince tem to show up again. If they do, I coach them.

But what do you expect if you haven't shot in two or three decades.

(There ARE exceptions. I saw a ww2 vet about 5 years ago with an M1 that claimed not to have shot in years and he easily broke 400)
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That's not skill, that's just luck.

With a Mini-14 I'd be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn... from inside the thing!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never have visited a range in my life, I like being alone and quiet. Kind of the point of the hobby for me. Clays are cheap and you know when you hit them. 90 clays $3

So...no witnesses then.  Okay.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So...no witnesses then.  Okay.

Yeah I have gone shooting with people, and I am not an impressive shooter. My skills are pretty basic.
But I prefer being alone
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not skill, that's just luck.

With a Mini-14 I'd be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn... from inside the thing!

Well not my mini-14 couldn't shoot a dam thing. Trigger is busted and they won't sell me the part, ruger policy.

But I don't know maybe I got lucky. My little ruger was pretty nice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Shooting is definitely a skill. However, it is skills mixed with natural talent. I think that I am a good shot. But no matter how much I practice I will never be as good as Tom Knapp the Benelli Shooter or the old greats like Ed McGivern or Winchester shooter Herb Parsons. These guys are GREAT shots but with higher then normal hand eye coordination. Old Ed could shoot a tin can tossed in the air 5 times before it could hit the ground with a stock S&W Revolver. One has to have a great skills and talent to shoot the way the showman shooters do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Well math is a skill.
Lets see some one make a 1000 yard shot using iron sights? I would love to see that and no spotter no optics what so ever. And no idea of wind speed etc.

People do it all the time, man.  With something like this:

That rear sight will get lead out to about 1200 yards.  I have not shot that far yet.  The rifle and shooting it are still new to me.  I'm working on a good black powder load for BPCR competition.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Let's see???????

I have a Distinguished Pistol Shot badge, a Master's classification in three kinds of pistol, and an Expert Classifaction in High Power rifle and Air Pistol and qualified expert in the Air Force, Army, Navy and Coast Guard and well as for the Norwegian Army.  I think it is a skill.

If I had a dollar for every cluck with a gun or hunter's ed dropout with a scoped rifle who thought he could hit jack shit I'd be a rich man for sure.  Add all the dollars from clucks who say shit like, "I shoot two thousand rounds a year, blah blah blah", and still can't hit shit at 300 yds.  I'd be super rich and own my own Gulfstream jet.

I really do shoot two or three thousand rounds a year combined rifle, pistol and shotgun.  I know how much it costs, how much time it takes and what the result is if you aim.  In 16 years of shooting, I have never been bested by some cluck who practiced at home, read a ninja book or played X-box.  Hitting a clay at 100 yds, in 4 tries, off sandbags, under cover and with a spotter takes no skill at all, nor is it a talent or a gift.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I consider it a skill, and I burned a shitload of rounds and dollars getting to where I am now.

Which is looking like I know what the hell I'm doing. I ain't bragging on my shooting skills, because I seem to have days where I guess my concentration just isn't there and I look like I just bought all those weapons a half an hour before I got to the desert. Then again, I have days (thankfully more often) where I truly look like I was born with several guns in my hands. Like hitting a looked-to-be foot long stick at 70 yards with a 9MM HiPower. First shot. Making a 2 liter jug at 40 yards dance with all 7 rounds from a stock-to-the-lock SA 1911A1. Ditto with my Sig (3" barrel). Making 200 yard shots with the AR like they're right in front of me. It just happens.

But when I first started out it wasn't like that, trust me. Between the sinus infection I had and poor handgun skills-especially in DA mode-I almost didn't qualify with an almost new 92FS during my CCW class 2 years ago. And that prompted me to get serious. REAL serious.

It takes time and money. Few are born "natural good shots".

I actually kinda pride myself that I now shoot decent to well with 7 different handguns. (meaning 7 different trigger pulls)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Definite skill.  I agree it is easier for some than others.  Some folks are naturals.
I grew up hunting in South Alabama.  Squirrel and rabbit with a .22 when I was a kid.  Birds with my single shot 20 ga. Later deer with and now elk.  

As far as the 1000 yard iron site shot.  I've seen it done also by a gentleman with a Sharps replica. Pretty astounding.  Heck, I can't even see 1000 yards out any longer.  Never tried that long of a shot when I could see.  Laziness I reckon.  That's a long way to haul a critter out of the woods.  
When I lived in Alabama there weren't too many places where you could see through the brush that far either.  

I am doing some target shooting now.  Guess I am one of those "clucks" posted about earlier.  Never been to a range.  Just mowed about 150-200 yards of the field behind the barn and built a standing target.  Having a heck of a time but I don't think I'll be getting any accolades or print about my abilities though. Wish I could afford to burn up more ammo.  That would help.

Quite different than hunting.  I find that I have to force myself to not think as much in order to perform well.  Would love to figure a moving rig.  

As far as natural shooting ability, I believe that is a truism.  My teenage daughter started shooting with me two summers ago and she was most assuredly comfortable and a good shot from the get go.
I love to see it.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
But I don't know maybe I got lucky. My little ruger was pretty nice.

I've heard they made a few that would shoot POA.  I wasn't that lucky.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#50]
If you can do what you say consistently you should be a trick shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top