Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 6:32:37 PM EDT
Something I dont get...

I was always taught that you NEVER clap for the national anthem. Its a solemn song that should remind us of battles fought, and sacrifices made....an epic about war and struggle...certainly not a thing to cheer. Yet, everytime I am at a football game (or hockey or baseball or whatever)....people not only clap but fkn downright celebrate the damn song. Maybe its just me, but those words make me want to cry, and then kill the enemy....not smile and raise a beer. So...am I the asshole here? I just stare at the flag, keep my feelings to myself...and think silently about all those that fought to secure this nation...while everyone else is making a party out of the national anthem.

What do you do?

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]

I clap to show appreciation for a good
rendition of the anthem. I'm not sure
about people starting the USA chant
and obnoxious shit like that.

On that topic, I was furious last week.
While on vacation in Vegas, my buddy
and I drove down to watch the Pats
play AZ. This was the game in which
AZ honored Pat Tillman. First off, while
the President was offering some words
(via tape) people were fucking booing
him.

Secondly, while they were showing
an interview that Pat gave after he
announced that he was leaving the
NFL, most of the crowd started in
with the USA chant. STFU.

Finally, and most annoying to me was
that, as they showed the list of other
AZ service men and women who had
died, not a soul continued to clap for
them. The same assholes who were
going nuts when they showed the
pictures of Tillman couldn't muster
another minute to show appreciation
for about 30 other, equally brave and
noble soldiers.

Fucking pathetic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with a very close friend of mine to the Jets vs San Fran game the week after 9/11.
My buddy is life long airforce...been in since we were kids (signed up at 16 with his parents signature - left for the academy in CO right after he graduated HS)

Being NY, it was a big thing....the mayor was there, the governor was there.....and lots of NYPD and NYFD (I have season tickets with 4 NYFD - fkn solid guys that lost a lot of freinds on 9/11 - JR, you guys are the best!)....

So it was a big deal.....

When all the people started going into the "USA" chant.....my buddy (at that point 12 years active duty, about to leave on a tour in Afghanistan and then Jordan, UAE, and finally Iraq).....looks at me, sighs, and says "Where the fuck were all these people a week ago? I have been a soldier all my life and no one gave a shit until today"

I will never forget that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
then there is the assholes who dont stand up or take their hats off
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Sing while it's playing and clap when it's finished. I sometimes even do that in the truck when I'm alone and it comes on the radio.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I hold my hand over my heart, as I was taught to do(respectfully) about 46 years ago. I'm 48 now. Has anyone notice how many flag bearing "patriots" we had in the weeks following 911, and how many we see now? Now THAT'S pathetic! God bless America.

AB
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I sing and place my hand over my heart during the National Anthem.

But after that.........................down here in the south....we also play Dixie.  WE stomp out feet and give Rebel yells!!!  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Um, where is the choice for "all of the above"?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The Anthem is a victory song - I've never seen it as too solemn for applause.  I always clap afterword at games - but I wait until the last note is complete to remove my hand from my heart to do so.

It's not like they're playing taps.  Of course, if you are at a Mexican funeral, you may hear taps and then suddenly a mariachi band starts up, so what do I know ?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
During, hat off, hand or hat over my heart.

After, I get shivers up my spine.

Amen, and I sing it unabashedly, too!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
hand over heart during, clap and cheer afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I cheer, clap, and whistle.  I've been doing that for years and have no plans in stopping.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I cheer, clap, and whistle.  I've been doing that for years and have no plans in stopping.

well you need to stop it  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#14]
sometimes i fart, shit and piss during the national anthem
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I always sing along, with hand over heart (removing hat, if applicable) as proper respect requires.

I don't understand the recent(?) trend of people yelling "O!" during the last stanza (O say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave...).  I find it a bit disrespectful, but maybe I'm missing something.

A friend was at a Caps hockey game shortly after Sep 11, 2001.  He wrote the Caps management with an excellent suggestion afterwards.  Apparently there was trouble with the sound system that night, and the singer's microphone cut out shortly after the beginning of the anthem.  It sounded to him as though almost the entire arena was singing the anthem.  He suggested they forego the singer one night and have the audience sing the anthem.  Right on.  Show your pride in your country.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll sing along when I feel like it (most often)
I'll put my hat and/or hand over my heart (unless in uniform, then it's a proper salute)
I'll chear and what not after the playing of our National Anthem

Only reason to not stand and give proper respect while it's playing is if you physicaly incapable.
Feel free to not stand and give proper respect or otherwise at your own risk!

Singing along, IMHO, is great, I wish more would do it.

reminds me of post 9/11 baseball games.... used to replace "take me out to the ball game" with "God bless America".. recently when at the game, it was just the prior at the 7th inning stretch.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Rebel yell of course.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:05:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I sing along and about halfway thru I get tears in my eyes.   It's hard not to get tears when you think about the good soldiers we have lost so we can enjoy the freedoms we have.  Here are just a few of the freedoms.

freedom of speech --sometimes i fart, shit and piss during the national anthem---peekay

frreedom to burn the flag

I once worked a football game and when the national anthem was being played as usual I put my hand over my heart and sing.  This time there was a group of high school kids behind me who were joking around and were quite obnoxious.   Being in police uniform some of the parents kept looking at me and I sensed they were begging me to tell these kids something.   So I did.  I turned around and asked them "are you an American", to which t hey replied yes.  I then told them to shut up during the national anthem and they did.   Afterwards some of the adults that had witnessed it came up to me and thanked me for disciplining those kids.  
If they would have said no they weren't an American, I still would have told them to shut up and have respect for my national anthem.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#19]
the military are taught to stand at attention while in civilian clothes during the playing of the national anthem. I still do that
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Um, where is the choice for "all of the above"?

Just click on each box and then push "vote" like I did.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I always sing along, with hand over heart (removing hat, if applicable) as proper respect requires.

I don't understand the recent(?) trend of people yelling "O!" during the last stanza (O say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave...).  I find it a bit disrespectful, but maybe I'm missing something.

A friend was at a Caps hockey game shortly after Sep 11, 2001.  He wrote the Caps management with an excellent suggestion afterwards.  Apparently there was trouble with the sound system that night, and the singer's microphone cut out shortly after the beginning of the anthem.  It sounded to him as though almost the entire arena was singing the anthem.  He suggested they forego the singer one night and have the audience sing the anthem.  Right on.  Show your pride in your country.

It is "Oh"
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
sometimes i fart, shit and piss during the national anthem

As long as you are standing with your hand over your heart that is fine.  I bet you are uncomfortable during the game though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Something I dont get...

I was always taught that you NEVER clap for the national anthem. Its a solemn song that should remind us of battles fought, and sacrifices made....an epic about war and struggle...certainly not a thing to cheer. Yet, everytime I am at a football game (or hockey or baseball or whatever)....people not only clap but fkn downright celebrate the damn song. Maybe its just me, but those words make me want to cry, and then kill the enemy....not smile and raise a beer. So...am I the asshole here? I just stare at the flag, keep my feelings to myself...and think silently about all those that fought to secure this nation...while everyone else is making a party out of the national anthem.

What do you do?

Correct 'ettiquite' (for civillians & out-of-uniform military): Stand at attention, face the flag or the direction of the music if no flag is visible, place hand over heart, remain in this position untill the Anthem is complete... Then quietly return to (sitting, standing) once the Anthem is complete...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I stand at attention saluting, or hand on heart (if in civvies).
But after it stops, I'm applauding, because the game's beginning.
It's ok to clap, if you think the singer did an exceptional job.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I always show proper respect for our anthem and flag whether in uniform or out.  Face the flag, hand over heart (crisp salute in uniform) and usually cheer at sports events.  Of course at dignified ceremonies, quiet respect.

I try to keep in mind alot of people really don't know what the proper procedures/protocol are for our anthem.  If someone is making an attept at showing respect, that is good enough for me.  I really don't get bent at the old timers who forget to take off their baseball cap once in a while.  The kids who talk or are blatantly disrespectful get me going, though.

As for patriotism, any way you choose to show respect to your country is OK by me.  Whether you have been doing it for 50 years or 50 minutes, it's still respect for your country and the sacrifices of others.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Stand as always, hand on heart or crossed in front...it's a habit from College Lacrosse games from holding helmet and stick together in front of me, singing quietly, cheer when it's done if done well.......
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#27]
What I don't get is, why don't Americans sing the national anthem. Like at baseball games. When Canada's national anthem comes on they all sing, but at baseball games in "the states" nobody ever sings! Whenever the national anthem is played, I want to sing, but my voice sucks so I can't unless everyone else is as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Hand or hat over heart, sing along sometimes. Hoot, hollar, whistle afterwards. Always have. Don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

Unless, as already stated, at dignified ceremonies I sit quietly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#29]
in uniform, stand at the position of attention, salute, when it's done, cut salute sit down.  in civies, stand at the position of attention, sit when done.  i can't help but think of all who died for us as it's playing, so an occasional tear will cross this MARINES face.  if only it meant that to every other american...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is "Oh"

www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/images/uc29.1.jpg

Looks like "O!" to me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I exhibit all the proper resect for the anthem I was taught in grade school, when we used to say the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE every day, including "one nation, under God".

I almost got into a fight at a Giants game in SF when I gave a couple of tattooed, pierced like a pincushion  fucking wadwastes a ration of shit for joking and cutting up-LOUDLY-during the anthem. Luckily, (and surprisingly) a few other people chimed in and they shut up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I always place my hand over my heart during the anthem. Afterwards I cheer out of pride and congratulations to the singer. Now a question for you guys, I get choked up and slightly tearyeyed when I hear the Anthem, do any of you?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#33]
When I was a cadet at Texas A&M in the mid 1970's, we (the Aggie Band) often played the National Anthem.

At athletic events, this was the schedule:

National Anthem (many of us would yell "Beat the Hell outta Communism" at the end)

Texas, Our Texas (followed with "Beat the Hell outta t.u.")

(The visitor's band, if there, would play their school song at this time.)

The Spirit of Aggieland (which ends in a long series of yells)

The Aggie War Hymn (which also ends in specific Aggie Yells)

We were (and A&M remains to this day) a very patriotic, pro-America place to goto school.  In fact, it was at A&M that I met Republicans not only my age, but in quantities I didn't know even existed in Texas.  Growing up in Temple, Texas, I knew only 3 Republicans in my circle of acquaintances.  

As for making noise after the Star Spangled Banner....well, Aggies always make alot of noise after special songs.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't do the hand-over-heart routine, but only because of the photo gear I'm usually carrying.  My hat, if I'm wearing one, comes off, and I face the flag with everyone else and sing along (badly, but ya know what? I don't care!)

No cheering or anything else afterwords for me -- I have to get back to work.    

What kinda pisses me off is a lot of the other photographers and such that show up at the games don't bother to remove their hats, stand at attention, or do anything else except continue to chatter with each other about what needs to be done during the game so they get everything covered they want to cover.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#35]
And WTF is it with the "artists" butchering the anthem and calling it music?  Its kinda sad, but I don't even turn the radio(don't watch tv) on until a few minutes after kickoff so I don't have to listen to someone sing a wailing, drawn out, painful-to-the-ears version.

I'm half expecting someone to do a gangsta-rap version of it
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I remove my hat and place it across my chest, over my heart, turn to face the flag, sing along and cheer afterwards.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top