Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2004 6:26:43 PM EDT
This may sound like an ad, but it isn't.

If your knees, or other joints, hurt, read on.

A few years ago, my knees were so bad that it was very painful to walk the stairs.  I saw an orthopedic surgeon, and he just chuckled and said it was a sign of middle age -osteoarthritis, and I should get used to it.  That pissed me off.  Excuse my language, but maybe it was how he said it.  Anyway, I thought this certified ortho was a certified A-hole, so I looked elsewhere.  I found an over-the-counter supplement called “Glucosamine Chondroitan,” which had been used for decades.  Veterinarians used it on multi-million dollar horses!  Then, there were human studies, such as the one done by the US Navy, lots of them.  

I tried it, and it works.  Glucosamine Chondroitin is not a pain reliever.  My knees don’t hurt anymore, but it isn't because the pain is masked.  No, the inflammation is gone.  Glucosamine Chondroitin eliminates inflammation by increasing lubrication to the joints.  In fact, pain relievers, even aspirin, contribute to joint degeneration, so they make your condition worse in the long run.  For some reason, the body produces less lubricants, usually after age 40.

Although you may not notice improvements for 6 weeks (they are gradual), there will come a moment when you suddenly realize you are doing something which you couldn’t do before.  Within 6 weeks I could handle steps normally.  A month or so later, I could jump off the porch of my son's Boy Scout Cabin!  Later my knees quit creeking and popping, and after 1 year I could play basketball with the 20 year olds - without braces!

Pay attention to the dosage.  It would be best to get 375-500mg per tablet of Glucosamine, 300-400 mg of Chondroitin Sulfate.  Take at least three a day - after meals.

Now, I'm taking Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM.  MSM is a joint regenerator.  You can get it separately or in capsules combined with Glucosamine Chondroitin.   Probably, a good dosage is 250mg per capsule.  I get mine from WalMart combined with CSC.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTL
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
This stuff works for me, too.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Works for me too, but usually I just gnaw the bones clean so I don't need it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Hrmmm...

IBTL

eta: Guess he is legit - I jumped the gun.
Thanks for the info AClay47 and welcome.
Sorry for doubting you.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
didn't do a dam thing for my wife or me
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Post count of 4; it's an ad.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Thanks ACLAY

I was wondering about this product..  many times seeing it on the health
food shelves and at Sam's Wholesale.

I heard that suger..  for your "coke drinkers"  is bad on your joints..  I'll try it
now..   Hope there are a few more here than can chime on their
results in using this too..  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S David..  hows that ?? he never mentioned a products name..  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife recently broke her leg and ankle. In the process, the cartilage was destroyed at the ankle joint. Dr told her to try glucosamine to prevent any more loss of cartilage.

Talked to a friend and his Dr, told him the same thing.

Don't know if it works but they said to try it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been taking it off and on for two years now.

It works.

Edit to add, the Glocosomene with condroitin. Fuck the spam. It doesn't work.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey AClay47 you are right on the money.  I'm a 47 yr. old white male and have been using it for a couple of years now. I started taking it before I felt anything to be preventative. My joints feel good. I exercise and workout with free weights. I know it has helped me. I take Nature Maid Triple Flex 1500 mg glucosamine-1200 mg chondroitin-250 mg msm. Good luck! Fuck the smart asses on here they are probably out of shape with big beer guts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope, this is not an ad.

I posted something similar at GunsNet before coming here.  I had over 3,000 posts there, and I thought I would begin posting here with some helpful information.  If you do a search at GunsNet, you will find a similar post, probably 6 months ago.

I have no affiliation with any business which buys, sells, distributes, or has anything to do with GSC.  In any event, it can be found at any pharmacy or vitamin store, and there are different brands.

I'm sharing something which worked for me.  I've done the same offline.  At the local Y, there was a guy always in the whirlpool when I finished playing basketball.  I used the whirlpool regularly - at age 51, it helped a lot.  It wasn't my business to ask him what was wrong with him, but one day he mentioned how he saw me play basketball every day - he noticed I was playing without the knee braces I had been using.  So, I shared the same thing with him that I have with you.  He hurt so bad that he asked me to write down the name.  By the way, the guy was a former drill sergent, probably about my age (51).  I saw him a couple of months ago at the cafeteria, and he had no pain.  He looked better - had spring in his step instead of looking like every step hurt.  He thanked me for telling him about GSC.

So, I'm offering the benefit of my experience.  You can ignore it, which is fine with me.  BUT - for those of you who hurt - try it.  BUT USE THE PROPER DOSAGE - many brands say they are extra strength, but check the mgs on the label.  That's one reason I stated what I found to be proper dosage.

Don't take my word on it, Google it.  Check out the US Navy study, among others.  I hope this helps someone else.

Enough said by me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#15]
If your joints hurt, chances are you are overweight, too. For joint pain, unless you've got a debilitating disease like ankylosing spondylitis or some such, the best thing you can do is lose weight, and then, with a doctor's care, exercise and eat right.

I've lost about 65 lbs in the past three years, and my legs and ankles no longer hurt the way they used to. Now I can even ride a bike again without huffing and puffing up and down hills, and outmarch my younger peers at reenactments (too many Twinkie rations and cubicle slaves at work...)....

I'm always amazed when I go to Weight Watchers meetings how many heavy people say they have severe joint pain. It's like humping a full-size field pack and more, every minute of the day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#16]
WD-40 and horse linement from tractor supply.

This isnt an ad either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
IBTL

mmm-hmmmm....Newbie- know the code. Board Code of Conduct, that is.

Low post count and touting something.

Splain' it to me, Lucy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If your joints hurt, chances are you are overweight, too. For joint pain, unless you've got a debilitating disease like ankylosing spondylitis or some such, the best thing you can do is lose weight, and then, with a doctor's care, exercise and eat right.

I've lost about 65 lbs in the past three years, and my legs and ankles no longer hurt the way they used to. Now I can even ride a bike again without huffing and puffing up and down hills, and outmarch my younger peers at reenactments (too many Twinkie rations and cubicle slaves at work...)....

I'm always amazed when I go to Weight Watchers meetings how many heavy people say they have severe joint pain. It's like humping a full-size field pack and more, every minute of the day.

Good post!  Dang it!  I wasn't going to ad anything else, but you are absolutely right.  The heavier one is, the more wear on his joints.  I recommend that also, but actually I added weight!  I now weigh 250 pounds (I'm 6-2), whereas I weighed 230 when I first began taking it 5 years ago.  Heck, maybe it's making me fat?!

Nuff said by me, NOW! LOL!  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a friend in NY who works training LEOs and corrections officers in martial arts and he told me of this stuff a couple years back. He swears by it but I have never used it myself. Hmmmm, maybe I should.
I dont believe this guy is spamming.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
WD-40 and horse linement from tractor supply.

This isnt an ad either.

Stop it! You're killing me!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This stuff works for me, too.  

+1 Been using the Herbal product for about six months.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1

I quit my nicotine habit a couple of months ago and ballooned up 30 pounds.  I was 20 overweight to start with.

Now my back and neck ache all the time, and I suffer from all sorts of strange afflictions.

I suppose if I can stop the nicotine habit after 25 years of chewing copenhagen, I can muster enough willpower to lose a few pounds.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#25]
well Im glad to know my joints hurt cause I might be over weight and not cause i have 3 pins in my hip cause of an assweasle running a red light and hitting me back in 87 or cause my knee bent the wrong way while at a job i usto work at in 95.

now back to your regular schedualed spam
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#26]
CAn't take it if you are alergic to shellfish....Which I am....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#27]
CheeseandRice!

Tough crowd tonight!!!!

I have been using this stuff for a little while and it does work - no more rice krispie ankels & knees.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Thanks, AClay47, for the info!

I will be looking into it.

The next time a 24 year old chick asks me to make the beast with two backs, I won't regretfully have to tell her that it will be one hump rather than two.

If you know what I mean, and I'm sure you do.

Eric The(AsYoungAsYouFeelUp)Hun

You have a pic or illustration of that?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
didn't do a dam thing for my wife or me

What kind of dosages did you and your wife take? One thing to remember is that this combo is not a take one time and forget it thing. You have to have it in the right dosages based on your body weight, and you have to take those doses daily.

It works for me. I started playing baseball (T-ball first) at age 5 and continued to play competitively until my early 20s. For over 95 percent of that time, I was a catcher so my knees and ankles took a beating. Add in several years of semi-serious weight-lifting and you can see why my joints were constantly aching. After reading The Arthritis Cure I tried it for myself. I tried the dosages recommended (1500mg of Glucosamine, 1200 mg Chondroitin Daily) and felt some difference after around six weeks but still had some aches. Turns out that if you are over 200 pounds, you need to take 2000mg of Glucosamine and 1600 mg of Chondroiting daily. When I started taking these dosages daily, and made sure that the supplements I was taking did in fact have the listed dosages per pill, my joints felt almost brand new.

I can say that I am thankful for this combination, and that it has worked wonders for me and my knees and ankles.

Read the books (there's a follow-up book as well) and try it for yourself. It may very well work wonders for you, too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If your knees, or other joints, hurt, read on.

A few years ago, my knees were so bad that it was very painful to walk the stairs.  I saw an orthopedic surgeon, and he just chuckled and said it was a sign of middle age -osteoarthritis, and I should get used to it.  That pissed me off.  Excuse my language, but maybe it was how he said it.  Anyway, I thought this certified ortho was a certified A-hole, so I looked elsewhere.  I found an over-the-counter supplement called “Glucosamine Chondroitan,” which had been used for decades.  Veterinarians used it on multi-million dollar horses!  Then, there were human studies, such as the one done by the US Navy, lots of them.  

I tried it, and it works.  Glucosamine Chondroitin is not a pain reliever.  My knees don’t hurt anymore, but it isn't because the pain is masked.  No, the inflammation is gone.  Glucosamine Chondroitin eliminates inflammation by increasing lubrication to the joints.  In fact, pain relievers, even aspirin, contribute to joint degeneration, so they make your condition worse in the long run.  For some reason, the body produces less lubricants, usually after age 40.

Although you may not notice improvements for 6 weeks (they are gradual), there will come a moment when you suddenly realize you are doing something which you couldn’t do before.  Within 6 weeks I could handle steps normally.  A month or so later, I could jump off the porch of my son's Boy Scout Cabin!  Later my knees quit creeking and popping, and after 1 year I could play basketball with the 20 year olds - without braces!

Pay attention to the dosage.  It would be best to get 375-500mg per tablet of Glucosamine, 300-400 mg of Chondroitin Sulfate.  Take at least three a day - after meals.

Now, I'm taking Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM.  MSM is a joint regenerator.  You can get it separately or in capsules combined with Glucosamine Chondroitin.   Probably, a good dosage is 250mg per capsule.  I get mine from WalMart combined with CSC.

Paul Harvey, is that you?  Where's "the rest of the story..."
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Paul Harvey, is that you?  Where's "the rest of the story..."

his
No more story! G'night!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#32]
My dog gets the stuff and it seems to work somewhat.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I started taking it after I broke my arm

( the 2nd time a thank you)  

and I had horrible athritis. which sucks when you are a 20 year old.

It helped me a lot, I don't take it know as I haven't had pain in a while, and have been working on increasing strength and motion of my joints.

Made the Gf take it when she was having knee problems (from walking around school with 45+ lbs of books on her back.

She canr ide her bike again and hardly no more knee problems at all.

The shit works y'all don't kill the messenger.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#34]
go to a supplement store and ask for glutamine. works wonders.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#35]
One of these compounds(can't remember which one) has a molecule chain which is too long (or large) to be absorbed by the digestive tract.  The other supposedly works.  Do your research, you may be wasting money on one of the compounds.  Find out which one is absorbed.-savage1
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I can vouch for this.  For about a year I have taken the Osteo Bi-Flex brand (Rexall) of Glucosamine/Chondroitin, primarily for tennis elbow.  This product has worked wonders for me, in all my joints.  It is about $30 for a two months supply.

No this is not an ad, I have no connection with Rexall or any other drugstore or manufacturer of any products.

Remember, you have to take it for about six weeks before you notice any significant relief.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I can vouche for AClay47. I remember his posts before I was banned from Gunutz. Hes not advertising. Welcome to a MUCH better board AClay47!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Advertising? A generic supplement? Hardly.

Glucosamine has saved my ass just in the past couple months. I hyperextended my knee on Labor Day playing paintball. Torn miniscus cartilege.

Glucosamine has helped tremendously and I am already back to 3 miles a day on the treadmill.

Fuck orthopedics.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I've heard a Doctor say that it's like "eating hair in hopes of it growing on a bald head."

Anyway, I use it.  

I get in my Emergen-C by Alacer Corp.

That's Emergen-C - for all your health needs!

(seriously, I love the shit!)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I recommend a trial for plenty of patients. Just a FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I can vouche for AClay47. I remember his posts before I was banned from Gunutz. Hes not advertising. Welcome to a MUCH better board AClay47!

Thanks 556A2!  It did get tiring after awhile.  

Hey, I believe in Glucosamine Chondroiton with MSM, because it really worked a miracle for me.  I still remember how my knees hurt when I climbed the stairs.  Even going down hurt, and I held onto the rail to shift weight off my knees.  Yes, the popped, too.  Doctors call it "crepitus," and they told me to get used to it.  Well, they don't pop anymore.  I started working out again Monday and have no knee pain.  

I swear by the stuff, but like everyone has been saying, it takes about 6 weeks beofre you notice improvement.

Look at it another way.  One of the first posts I made here as a member was about glucosamine chondroiton with MSM.  It was one way for me to look smart , but better yet it was a way for me to offer something positive and helpful.  This stuff can make a huge difference in your life, and it is inexpensive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Works for me too, but usually I just gnaw the bones clean so I don't need it.

+1

Rip
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Of course he isn't spamming. As no brand names were mentioned and the products are available from a dozen manufacturers at least, exactly who is he supposedly spamming for? I've been taking the stuff for years, lately with the addition of Sam-E. It works. The original poster was just trying to share a little very useful information.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
well Im glad to know my joints hurt cause I might be over weight and not cause i have 3 pins in my hip cause of an assweasle running a red light and hitting me back in 87 or cause my knee bent the wrong way while at a job i usto work at in 95.

now back to your regular schedualed spam

Me too! I thought the replacement knee joint (with another on the way), replacement hip and severe Rhuematoid arthritis were because of a hit and run driver! pfft!… just need to lose some weight…

Going to give this stuff a try!… can't do any harm, may do a lot of good!

Thanks for the 'heads up' AClay47!

Andy
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Works for me too.  years of TMJ joint pain from a botched oral surgery.  1200MG twice a day of Naproxen barely took the edge off, and thrashed my stomach.  2000MG a day of Glucosomine a day solved the problem.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll be trying it now that I know what to look for.

Thanks,

Danny
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Post count of 1162, must be an idiot.    

What the devil does post count have to do with this thread?

The stuff works like a champ for some people and for others it does not do a darn thing.

Like asprin.  

Asprin does not even begin to take the edge off of the types of headaches I get, but a couple of Advil and I'm golden.

Does that make me an Advil schill?

Does that mean asprin sucks?

Dork!

I can't stand post count snobs!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#50]
The stuff works.

I am in my mid twenties and I injured my knee excercising, I did not go to the doctor, becuase usually that is a waste of time. So I decided to try the Glucosamine Chondrotin Triple Strength dosage. I took that stuff for about a month and my knee got better all by itself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top