Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 4:50:40 PM EDT
Looking into getting a tux. Will be wearing fairly often so purchase is definitely preferable. Advice, besides get it tailored?

Vest or cummerbund? Stick with black tie? Eurotie or bow tie? If eurotie, then should I get a tie tack to match the cuffs and studs? and just use color with the vest/cummerbund and pocket silk, or colored tie? Get a tailcoat for the hell of it or not?

Should the cufflinks and studs match my watch? If I use a vest, how the hell am I supposed to hold my pants up without either belt or braces?

Not gay, dammit, and I'll thank you for not using that John Kerry picture I cooked up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Selix tuxedos are pretty good, I'm not sure if they're nationwide, but it never hurts to check.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]

If you don't already own one, buy a German P08 to carry at all times while wearing the tux.  It's the must have accessory of the season!

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
definitely a vest bowtie, black, don't get tails and you wear suspenders with a vest.
You could always buy the tux w/o the vest (or cummerbund) and rent when the occasion calls.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah, and don;t get a cummerbund.  Vests are a better way to go.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#5]
What material vest; silk, satin, wool? See which I like best?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Silk - more available in a variety of patterns.  Cilver is a good neutral color if you're buying the vest as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you do - go old school.  Nothing look dorkier than last decade "hip" tux look.  Bogart in "Casablanca" is a great example of subdues old school style.

Good fabric, traditional cut - straight lapels offer a more timeless look, IMHO.  If you forego the stupid leg piping, you could get a normal suitcoat cut from the same fabric and have a black suit for funerals, etc.

Vest is definitely preferable to cummerbund - and makes it easier to hide your PPK - J/K.  Thye vest should be the same material as the suit, with black satin or silk accents mathcing the satin or silk of the coat.

Braces are definitely preferred over belt loops - get the button ones, not the clip on crap.

Turn DOWN collar will allow a clip on bow tie without looking dorky - if you insist on the turn-up collar or collarless look - get a REAL FREAKIN' BOW TIE.  Nothing looks dorkier (to me, and I realize I am in the minority here) than seeing the adjustment tabs on a fake bow tie.

At formal events, men are supposed to be subdued, the women are supposed to be the ones attracting attention.  Colorful designs should be limited to the back of your tux shirt, for late in the evening in case the party gets a little wild.

Seriously, how DO you guys carry in a tux?  I never have, but lately I've been thinking ankle holster is best.

Cuff links should match your shirt studs, and not be too contrasting with your watch.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I would never even consider wearing a clip-on tie with ANYTHING. I also prefer the wing collar with tuxes...

I have not been able to find a shawl lapel style anywhere, but I kind of prefer notch lapel anyway... no peak lapels, though.

I thought the leg piping is part of what made a tux a tux. Next you'll say that patent leather shoes are unnecessary.

Hmm. I thought that a red, silver, or blue was the most common for the waist device (vest/cummerbund) and pocket silk.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would never even consider wearing a clip-on tie with ANYTHING.

... You would if you were working a security detail
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Whatever you do - go old school.  Nothing look dorkier than last decade "hip" tux look.  Bogart in "Casablanca" is a great example of subdues old school style.

Good fabric, traditional cut - straight lapels offer a more timeless look, IMHO.  If you forego the stupid leg piping, you could get a normal suitcoat cut from the same fabric and have a black suit for funerals, etc.

Vest is definitely preferable to cummerbund - and makes it easier to hide your PPK - J/K.  Thye vest should be the same material as the suit, with black satin or silk accents mathcing the satin or silk of the coat.

Braces are definitely preferred over belt loops - get the button ones, not the clip on crap.

Turn DOWN collar will allow a clip on bow tie without looking dorky - if you insist on the turn-up collar or collarless look - get a REAL FREAKIN' BOW TIE.  Nothing looks dorkier (to me, and I realize I am in the minority here) than seeing the adjustment tabs on a fake bow tie.

At formal events, men are supposed to be subdued, the women are supposed to be the ones attracting attention.  Colorful designs should be limited to the back of your tux shirt, for late in the evening in case the party gets a little wild.

Seriously, how DO you guys carry in a tux?  I never have, but lately I've been thinking ankle holster is best.

Cuff links should match your shirt studs, and not be too contrasting with your watch.

Perfect advice. Perfect.

I recommend a spread collar, if it suits you.

If you live in a climate that will require you to wear a coat, make sure that it's appropriate.

Treat your tux like a vampire.  Don't be seen wearing it in the daylight, unless it's in the morning after you got lucky.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Zow! Did you go to the same finishing school I went to?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I actually don't like tuxes.  For my wedding I ended up getting a VERY nice black suit with a silver tie and a nice dress shirt.  It is very formal but really cool looking.  Hell, my jacket cost more than her wedding dress.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Hmm. I thought that a red, silver, or blue was the most common for the waist device (vest/cummerbund) and pocket silk.

NO!!!!

No "pocket silk".  Mybe a pocket square, maybe (always think Bond).   If you are forced to wear a flower in your lapel, then NO pocket square.
Only one thing at a time.  You decide to stick a flower in the lapel -tuck in the pocket square.
No stick pins, or any of that crap.

Wool.

No colors (except at a Christmas function, or plaid to a yacht club).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the tux Sean Connery wears in the James Bond  movies
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Black-tie w/ kilt is the way to go!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Only if you're from the British Isles.

(or a Ghurka)
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Clean shirt, new shoes
and I don't know where I am goin' to.
Silk suit, black tie,
I don't need a reason why.
They come runnin' just as fast as they can
coz every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

Gold watch, diamond ring,
I ain't missin' a single thing.
And cufflinks, stick pin,
when I step out I'm gonna do you in.
coz every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

Top coat, top hat,
I don't worry coz my wallet's fat.
Black shades, white gloves,
lookin' sharp and lookin' for love.
coz every girl grazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would never even consider wearing a clip-on tie with ANYTHING. I also prefer the wing collar with tuxes...

I have not been able to find a shawl lapel style anywhere, but I kind of prefer notch lapel anyway... no peak lapels, though.

I thought the leg piping is part of what made a tux a tux. Next you'll say that patent leather shoes are unnecessary.

I'l be the first to admit I am not good with the terminology here - the big thing on the collar is that if it shows the back of your tie, tie a real bowtie so those damn slide adjusters don't show.  I'm still pissed off at Denzel Washington for looking like a goober when he accepted his Oscar a few years back.  BTW, Hollywood is the LAST place you want to look to for style ideas these days - as is GQ - they sold out to "hipsters" years ago.

If you insist on leg piping, go for it.  I just personally don't like it.

Patent leather SHOES!  You have got to be kidding me - are you a kid going to prom or a MAN?  Disco is dead, man.  I only wear patent leather with my military uniforms.

Cincinnatus was spot on about the color crap - BTW, tux store people and tux companies are the WORST people to take advice from (even more so than Hollywood and GQ).  Since a good tux will last you a lifetime - they have a vested interest in creating hip fashions that look dated in a few years.

Timeless, subdued elegance is your objective.  Save the flashy stuff for prom kids and Liberace.

Someone mentioned James Bond.  Just look at how DORKY Bond looks in most of the Roger Moore era films.  DON'T BE THAT GUY.

Remember, most places you will wear a tux, people will be taking your picture.  Those pictures will be seen 20, 30 years from now.  Nobody should be able to date the picture based on YOUR tux.

Yes, I am quite opinionated on this topic .
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Suavecito

Don't be that guy, or Cincinnatus and I will track you down and take turns kicking your ass.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Patent leather SHOES!  You have got to be kidding me - are you a kid going to prom or a MAN?  Disco is dead, man.  I only wear patent leather with my military uniforms.

Hmm. The advice I've always recieved is that one should always wear black patent leather shoes with a tuxedo. Traditional, supposedly.

ETA: Okay, not for a tux, but I MUST buy a zoot suit! Thank you, Da_Bunny!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Suavecito

Don't be that guy, or Cincinnatus and I will track you down and take turns kicking your ass.

You gots no sense of style, hombre...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm. The advice I've always recieved is that one should always wear black patent leather shoes with a tuxedo. Traditional, supposedly.

Like I said, I have peculiar views - but what could possibly be "traditional" about plastic shoes?  I must admit, if you can find REAL patent leather - and I have never seen it - you would rock in my book.  

Get real leather and have the local airpost shoe shine man bring it to a high gloss (unless you know how to do it yourself).  I don't know about real patent leather, but today's plastic crap scuffs easily and will not buff out either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, I have peculiar views - but what could possibly be "traditional" about plastic shoes?  I must admit, if you can find REAL patent leather - and I have never seen it - you would rock in my book.  

Get real leather and have the local airpost shoe shine man bring it to a high gloss (unless you know how to do it yourself).  I don't know about real patent leather, but today's plastic crap scuffs easily and will not buff out either.

Real patent leather is what I mean. The plastic stuff ain't patent leather, it's pleather.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Y'know - I just did a quick google search and it looks like you can get real patent leather shoes out there - and they actually look sharp.  Go for it - apparenlty the market has changed since I last looked for decent shoes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Only if you're from the British Isles.

(or a Ghurka)

I am not from the British Isles and too tall to be a Ghurka. I do, however, play the pipes and always choose black tie kilt over tux.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Full size 1911 in a patent leather flap holster on the strong side hip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top