BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 3:58:48 PM EDT
Do they hunt?
Bow and arrow, gun or vegetarians?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
They take hunting VERY seriously.  In western PA they eat alot of game, it is a part of their lives.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#2]
They have to wear that Amish stuff --
except when hunting -- I saw one in WalMart yesterday -- looking at all the camo clothes and buying some.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Most like the Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt Range around here.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup. they hunt and they do use rifles... at least according to my buddy who supplies the amish woodshops with lumber tells me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Do they limit themselves to Flintlock/Percussion Cap rifles, or do some of them use more recent stuff?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
except when hunting -- I saw one in WalMart yesterday -- looking at all the camo clothes and buying some.

That seems like a break from the norm.
Are you talking about the same people who don't wear buttons because they are decorative?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That seems like a break from the norm.
Are you talking about the same people who don't wear buttons because they are decorative?

Yes----------
The can do whatever they want if the Bishops
the boss for their sect says it is ok --
they can drive cars
use electric
have cell phones

It really is a major joke if you live in an Amish community -- people only see the movies like wittness, and think how quaint.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell I thought this would have been a joke...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]

i have seem amish with ak's and ar's at the local gunshows.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Around here we have some that still avoid the modern conveniences.

Mostly they seem to regard guns as tools (quite correct, in my opinion). I've never seen one with an AR or AK. I've also never seen one with a pistol or "target" gun. Some use quality shotguns and rifles though (870's, 700's, model 70's). I've seen the occasional good shot on game. They take what I consider to be the practical rural approach to dealing with wildlife as food or a nuisance (or maybe a danger) when appropriate.

Some people describe them as poachers. I've never seen that. Somebody might be getting the wrong impression from crop damage culling.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if an intruder in one of their homes ran into a load of buckshot.

Having said that, most of them are pacifists. I don't think that includes them not being willing to defend their families.

I also suspect that many people confuse the Amish and the Mennonites. The Mennonites cover a much wider spectrum as far as the conveniences and modern ways that they accept. I know some Mennonites who dress fairly plain and wear a traditional beard, but are certainly interested in AR's! I know at least two who are building black powder cannons!

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
 Your thread made me  realize how ignorant MOST people in
america are about the Amish. I havent had any Amish friends but its not uncommon
around here for thier youth to integrate with us durring thier "Rumspringa".
Let me just say that the PARTIES those kids have are just OUT OF CONTROL.
Aside from that they are just a quiet gruop of people that dont bother anyone else.
I would have an Amish nieghbor any day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Some of them get old and need a little help too!

No different than eyeglasses.

They might object to a gold plated receiver, but optics are functional, not decorative, showy or slothful.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I've run into Amish hunters quite often (I live one county East of Lancaster PA). Many times they are carrying a "Mennonite Machine gun" i.e. a Remington 760 in .30-06.  They are out in force from small game through deer season. ..and they put on some good drives.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Is it a sin for an Amish hunter to wear a poly blend jacket if he is careful not to generate any static electricity?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in the middle of Amish country here in NW PA.  Have 4 Amish families as neighbors.
Yes they have some very nice weapons - shotguns, rifles and bows.  They take hunting seriously to put up meat.  Ever have canned venison?  It's really tender and tasty.  Most of them take at least the first week of deer season off from work to hunt.
Only thing that I don't care for is the way they hunt in groups of up to 25 (max allowed by state game laws) and put on drives.  I like to hunt alone, or w/ my brother and a couple of friends.
As already mentioned, the Bishop sets the rules for the local sect(s).  Some are more tolerant/progressive than others.
Still a pretty simple life.  Kerosene lanterns/lamps, outhouses, horse and buggy for travel, etc.
Hard workers and good neighbors.  Jake and his brother John are putting a new metal roof on part of my house this Saturday.  My cost? Just the material.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top