Posted: 9/28/2004 12:32:57 PM EDT

beginning of chapter 27 on the new dvd
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
WTH!??!!

it's suppost to be BLUE!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw that too.  Went back and watched it twice just to make sure.  Then went and watched the scene in Ben's house just to make sure it was blue there.

Somebody fucked up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
MOOD-sabre.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
That's just so Lucas has an excuse to go back and change even more stuff for the Super-Ultimate-Conclusive-Wait2YearsAndI'llChangeThemAgain-Archive-Edition DVD set of all 6 films.

"Look, I fixed Luke's green lightsaber..  and I meant to have Jar Jar blow up the shield generator on Endor all by himself, originally."

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hand got cut off in Empire Strikes Back... did he lose the light sabre when he lost his hand?

ETA... if you read the books you know a jedi's training includes making his own light sabre... so after training under Yoda in ESB he would have made his own, and perhaps preferred it over the one Ben gave him... his father's.

Ben gave him the sabre he lost in ESB when Darth chopped it off.

Darth comments in ROTJ "I see you have constructed a new light sabre. Your training is complete"
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
WTF?

Why not just give him a red one, since "dear old dad" is sporting one in ANH

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
because red is reserved for evil jedi and sith...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, WHAT I would give for a real functioning Light Sabor....

Now that would be cool.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah, but it is supposed to be dad's saber.

and I was being sarcastic.  Should used this: or
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I saw that too.  Went back and watched it twice just to make sure.  Then went and watched the scene in Ben's house just to make sure it was blue there.

Somebody fucked up.

+1.  

I was going, "WTF!"

In fairness, just a second later, it looks more blue-green than green.  

But certainly not baby blue like in the original or in the DVD set at Ben's hut.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but it is supposed to be dad's saber.

and I was being sarcastic.  Should used this: or

dads original saber was blue... presumably, in episode III, when kenobi and anakin have their climactic sabre battle, when ben vanquishes anakin, he will take the blue sabre with him (which would explain how he came to have it in his possession in the first place)...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That's just so Lucas has an excuse to go back and change even more stuff for the Super-Ultimate-Conclusive-Wait2YearsAndI'llChangeThemAgain-Archive-Edition DVD set of all 6 films.

"Look, I fixed Luke's green lightsaber..  and I meant to have Jar Jar blow up the shield generator on Endor all by himself, originally."

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

you have said the name that must not be spoken!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#15]
the emitter ends of the sabers are interesting too. vader's and the blue one obi wan give luke in ANH have one style, and obi wan's and then the green one luke builds have another style, so there's some consistancy there
I was just skimming through the movie today and caught that green saber. had a friend check his disc too
then later on it's back to the really washed out white blade like in the original version when the special effects weren't as good for making the blade have color
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#16]
except in the books, where Luke makes Leia one with a red blade

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, I gotta ask...

Do the "new" versions of Star Wars now out on DVD still have the PUSSY-ASS scream by Luke as he's plummeting down the shaft in ESB?    In the original ESB, he didn't scream and that made it  a stronger moment:  Like he'd die before joining Vader, even after learning about Vader's claim of paternity.  Much more powerful.

I've got the "original" (i.e., real) version laserdisk rips on DVD, as well as the Speshul Edishun versions where Greedo shoots first, Luke screams like a baby, Jabba makes an early (and gay) appearance, and the Ewoks are robbed of the Zub Zub song.  (also from a Laserdisc rip) .   Frankly, I like the "originals" better, although the visual quality is a little lower than the newer stuff.

Is there any reason for me to buy the new ones?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody fucked up.

+1.  

I was going, "WTF!"

In fairness, just a second later, it looks more blue-green than green.  

But certainly not baby blue like in the original or in the DVD set at Ben's hut.  

not just baby blue.  but icy blue to white.  that's what made super cool.

did they fix the part where one of the x-wing pilots says "stay where you are, i just lost my starboard engine..."  and then we see a flash on the engine?  it always seemed to me the engine should go out BEFORE the pilot says something.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hr

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

you have said the name that must not be spoken!hock.gif

My apologies.

I love Star Wars as much as anyone, but all the changes are really starting to get to me.  I would've been happy if he had just cleaned up the effects in the OT without changing anything.

Oh well.  At least they're finally out on DVD.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#20]
The opening paragraph in the book Return of the Jedi has Luke in Obi-wan's old hovel on Tattooine building his new lightsaber and putting it in R2D2.  As previously stated it was sort of a 'rite of passage' to build one's one lightsaber as described in some of the later books.

As for the new green hue in ANH, they said they went back and added more color and vibrance to the lightsabers since they looked kinda dull in comparison to the new ones.  I suppose Lucas could have made it greener to look more like the light saber in RotJ, but that would be stupid since it SHOULD look like Anakin's light saber in TPM and AofC since Obi-wan said it belonged to his father.  That's assuming Obi-wan didn't make up the battle-field pick-up story hoping to get a few more credits selling it on eBay.

LL
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Someone really f*cked that up. How did that make it out the door?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#22]
They either ment to change it to green and forgot to change it in Ben's house.  Or they messed up and changed it in the Falcon when they were not supposed to.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
They either ment to change it to green and forgot to change it in Ben's house.  Or they messed up and changed it in the Falcon when they were not supposed to.

A change would not fit the story, unless Anakin has a green saber (having lost the blue one on Genosis) from "now" on. Right?

ETA: Is it green in the new release of ESB?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#24]
they should have made it yellow to match the toy
the original action figure of luke with the saber built into his arm had a yellow saber
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Just goes to show that the more you fuck with something, the more screwed up you make it.

I'm sure they'll revise it in the "extra special HD blu-ray edition" due in 2007.

Along with a preview for Star Wars VII: The Search for More Money.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A change would not fit the story, unless Anakin has a green saber (having lost the blue one on Genosis) from "now" on. Right?

ETA: Is it green in the new release of ESB?

Just watched it and I did not notice anything different, so I am betting it was blue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top