Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/28/2004 10:24:52 AM EDT
I have been looking for  a GOOD PAIR. Not the most exspensive......... I like the Oakleys but the price I want Polarized possibly mirrored ............any suggestions................
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Two words:

Maui Jim.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]

I am an Aviator's kind of guy myself.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude, suck it up and buy Oakleys, they have the best lenses I have used. Polarized is OK, but sucks when you use digital screens. I like it for looking through car windows and into the water though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want something "cheap", goto Grainger and look through what they have in saftey glasses.. UV protection and Safety glass to boot.  there are some good looking ones, mirrored, tinted ,,,  many to choose from  I have a pair I use as "spares" and for at the range
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen some nice ones at Wal-Mart
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dude, suck it up and buy Oakleys, they have the best lenses I have used. Polarized is OK, but sucks when you use digital screens. I like it for looking through car windows and into the water though.

+1!!!

You can get Oakleys for right around $100.  That's not too expensive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Well they come in two classes,
rhinestone shades and cheap sunglasses

Thats all you need to know.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a pair of REI Polarized XP Glacier glasses and loved them to death.  The polaroid material is sandwiched between layers of glass.  They're optically very good, and plenty dark.  Great for use on or near water.

Had to give up on them when I quit wearing contact lenses.

www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&cat=4500646&link=1&noalias=1&inc=sm3380_sunglasses.jsi&vcat=REI_SEARCH
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#9]
This is your eyes you're talking about.  Spend the cash on some good lenses and take good care of them so they (your eyes and your glasses) don't get messed up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a pair of ray-bans that I have had for 2 years (this pair anyways I sat on the last ones... DOH!)

They are not mirrored but they are polarized.

love them.

like pillows for your eyes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

Bought a pair of Oakleys almost 2 years ago and I love them.  Best pair of sunglasses I ever bought.  Paid about $140 for mine and haven't regretted it for a second.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Ya, I have tried polarized (Maui Jim) and they are very comfortable on the eyes but I just can't get past not being able to see my radio screeen or the imperfections in glass.  I have to agree with the Oakleys.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#14]
it's your EYES, pay the money ......

I've had a pair of  $120 Bolle's for 5 years .... I still have 20/20 vision at age 40, is it because I have always worn high quality sunglasses? I dont know, but it cannot hurt!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#16]
IMO, polarization & filtering is not a mystery.  The cheap ones do it as well as the expensive ones.  Price is a lens & frame quality and fashion issue.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Where did you get yours?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#18]
http://www.labsafetysupply.com

Extensive line of inexpensive safety glasses.  Pick your style.  Drop them, lose them, break them, get another pair.  I buy mine 10 at a time.  

Oakleys suck.  Very fragile.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I will make no recommendations, but I will say this:

Buy the best glasses you can, do your research on what each of the "ratings" means.  Like UVA, UVB, etc....read up on distortion....

$5 glasses are good for folks with $5 eyes.  Mine are worth INFINITELY more to me......

I wear nearly distortion-free, UVA, UVB protected, ballistic plastic lensed sunglasses that have swappable lenses for any event or lighting level.

Do this right, or don't do it all.

I remember the last sunglasses thread. How long before the bloodletting begins again?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have a new pair of Oakley Half-jacket XLJ polarized with gray lenses and black frames.  Retail is $160, I'll sell them for $125 shipped.  That's what I paid for them.  Bought the Juliets and prefer them, so these never got worn.  If anybody is interested drop me an IM.

Yea I am looking at the Juliets now
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I will make no recommendations, but I will say this:

Buy the best glasses you can, do your research on what each of the "ratings" means.  Like UVA, UVB, etc....read up on distortion....

$5 glasses are good for folks with $5 eyes.  Mine are worth INFINITELY more to me......

I wear nearly distortion-free, UVA, UVB protected, ballistic plastic lensed sunglasses that have swappable lenses for any event or lighting level.

Do this right, or don't do it all.

I remember the last sunglasses thread. How long before the bloodletting begins again?

Yep its like the Toyota vs Ford, Gmc............
personally Toyota
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Serengeti.

Try on a few different types IN SUNLIGHT.  In MY case (flying, driving) the Serengetis work well, some are polarized and when I put them on I can feel my facial muscles relax.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you get yours?

Three pairs from sunglass hut, one from a TX member in the EE.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
http://www.labsafetysupply.com

Extensive line of inexpensive safety glasses.  Pick your style.  Drop them, lose them, break them, get another pair.  I buy mine 10 at a time.  

Thats funny, I have stood on my Oakleys without damaging them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought a pair of Oakley Pro-M Magnesiums and absolutely love them!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#27]
For the past thirty plus years I have worn the same two
pair of Bausch & Lomb (Ray Ban) Large Outdoorsman and Large
Shooters. Back then they were the sunglasses by which all others
were judged. They are heavy and sturdy enough to have lasted me
over three decades.
Technology and the bottom line marches on.
This summer, I looked for another pair of Ray Ban Shooters just to see how
they compared to mine.......I wouldn't own the ones they are now selling.
I showed the clerk mine and the ones in his store. He was flabbergasted at
the huge difference in quality. Apparently, Ray Ban was bought by some firm
which felt it could make cheap crap and sell it onder a grand old name.
Such a shame. (Rant off).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#28]
My Oakley Juliets are worth every penny I spent on them.

Maui Jims are also worth the investment.

SG
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Bullshit.

Oakley premium eyewear surpasses the protection requirements for high-mass impact, as defined by The American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Part of an industrial standard called ANSI Z87.1, the high-mass impact test requires that the lens be hit by a 500-gram metal spike (over a pound of weight) dropped from a height of 51.2 inches (over four feet). To pass the test, no frame parts or lens fragments that could damage the eye may be ejected during impact.

This test is designed to analyze protection against relatively heavy objects traveling at low speeds. Real-world scenarios include being hit by the tip of a ski or hitting a branch while mountain biking. The unique materials and geometries of Oakley's lens/frame combinations allow the company's premium eyewear to exceed the protection requirements of the high-mass impact test.

AND:

Oakley premium eyewear also surpasses the ANSI Z87.1 test for high-velocity impact protection. For this test, a pneumatic cannon accelerates a quarter-inch steel shot to 102 miles per hour. The lens is targeted straight on from three different heights, and at seven different angles. To pass the high-velocity test, no contact between the lens and eye is permitted during impact. In addition, no frame parts or lens fragments that could damage the eye may be ejected during impact.

This test is designed to analyze protection against low-mass objects traveling at high speed. Real-world scenarios include being hit by kicked-up gravel while riding a motorcycle or speeding into rockslide pebbles while freeride mountain biking. The unique materials and geometries of Oakley's lens/frame combinations allow the company's premium eyewear to exceed the protection requirements of the high-velocity impact test.

Hardly Fragile, huh?

I own 7 pairs of varying designs and  I've stepped on, dropped, bent, sat on, thrown,  shoved under car seats, crammed into glove compartments, had rocks and dirt slung at them while moutain biking and in one instance had the shaved jacket of a revolver bullet hit them etc...and have never caused any damage beyond scratching of the lenses, which will occur with ANY coated optic.

Not only that, but Oakley will replace the damn things for just about any reason with no hassle at all in about a week. I even had a pair of M frames that I BACKED MY CAR Over that only cracked the frame (still wearable) and pitted the lenses. Oakley, even though they were out of warranty, still replaced those frames and lenses. For Free.

If you don't like 'em, fine, but don't sit here and say that they are fragile, for they are most decidedly anything but.

SG
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Oakley's or Natives... I hear Natives have a superior warranty to Oakley. I loved all the Oakley's I have owned... but yes, the price is prett harsh. After buying a pair of $20 shitties that lasted about a month I'll hold out and go blind before I waste another $20 on el cheapos.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Ray Ban...How long have they been in buisness???/
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#32]
EDIT: This is a qoute, from Ron white, i did not really say this.
But hell, i sure thought it was funny.

Before i get started, i want to ask you a question.

I was in sunglass hut the other day, here is the question.

Why does a pair of sunglasses cost more than a 25 inch color television set from walmart?

Anybody know?

I found a pair of sunglasses i like, i dont love em, i like em, 309 bucks.

so i asked the guy, very politely, "how do you sleep at night ya fuckin prick?"

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#33]
COSTA DEL MAR- I bought a pair 3 years ago and have worn them just about every day since.  The polarization is awesome, but they are kindof expensive, you get what you pay for.  They work great for fishing, I use them offshore where it gets really bright and my eyes stay comfortable. I can see into the water with them really well too. They cut the glare great.  Its worth the extra money to get the blue mirror lenses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Why does a pair of sunglasses cost more than a 25 inch color television set from walmart?

Anybody know?

Yep, it's those Goddamn Capitalists again, how dare they set such a market price if they can get it. I'll bet John Kerry could tell you ten ways that that retailer is EVIL for not just giving you those sunglasses, as is the manufacturer fo daring to set such a high price.  I'll bet he coud even help ease the bruise on your psyche from you're not buying such an expensive item when you others that have...

I'da told you that for you the price just doubled and to get the fuck outta my store... but that's just me.

If ya ain't willing to pay what they're askin' well, then, go to WalMart, buy a shitty ten dollar pair of knockoffs and don't buy the expensive ones. No one's forcing you to even be in the damn store.

SG

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody know?

Yep, it's those Goddamn Capitalists again, how dare they set such a market price if they can get it. I'll bet John Kerry could tell you ten ways that that retailer is EVIL for not just giving you those sunglasses, as is the manufacturer fo daring to set such a high price.  I'll bet he coud even help ease the bruise on your psyche from you're not buying such an expensive item when you others that have...

I'da told you that for you the price just doubled and to get the fuck outta my store... but that's just me.

If ya ain't willing to pay what they're askin' well, then, go to WalMart, buy a shitty ten dollar pair of knockoffs and don't buy the expensive ones. No one's forcing you to even be in the damn store.

SG

I was just quoting Ron White, thats all.

I buy orvis polorized, because they are the best for flyfishing.

Kinda expensive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Just quoting ron white, thats all.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You won't regret getting them.  Expensive but tough as nails.  Make sure you get the blue polarized lenses.  The "fire" lenses have issues with glare from extremely bright spots, like sunlight glinting off a bumper.

BTW, Ebay has a bunch of reliable sellers to buy from.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Two words:

Maui Jim.

A big +1.  I've owned Rayban, Oakley, Emporio Armani, Revo, and Maui Jim.  Maui's are by far the best lenses IMHO.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That's your first mistake.  Sunglass Hut charges full retail.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Serengeti.

Try on a few different types IN SUNLIGHT.  In MY case (flying, driving) the Serengetis work well, some are polarized and when I put them on I can feel my facial muscles relax.  

+1, I have a pair, the company I work for gave them to me, they sell for aorund $140 for the pair I got, and I like them......
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You won't regret getting them.  Expensive but tough as nails.  Make sure you get the blue polarized lenses.  The "fire" lenses have issues with glare from extremely bright spots, like sunlight glinting off a bumper.

BTW, Ebay has a bunch of reliable sellers to buy from.

I've got the Juliets with the "ruby" lenses (not sure if they are the same as "fire").  Best glasses I have owned ...period.  Completely cut glare.  I can look down the road at the beautiful Texas sunset during 6 pm rush hour traffic and not have to squint.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody know?

SG

I was just quoting Ron White, thats all.

I buy orvis polorized, because they are the best for flyfishing.

Kinda expensive.

Oh my bad. Boy do I feel stupid.

And I shoulda known that, cause I love RW.

SG
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's your first mistake.  Sunglass Hut charges full retail.

He was quoting Ron White, but if you're buying Oakley, other than Ebay you're gonna pay full retail. Ebay, be very very careful what you buy.

They do not allow sale prices on their eyewear. Period.

SG
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#45]
REVO.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#46]
TO EVERYONE, I WAS QUOTING RON WHITE, I DIDN'T REALLY GO INTO THE SUNGLASS HUT AND CALL SOMEONE A FUCKIN' PRICK.

Thankyou, and next time i think i am going to say something funny, i will keep it to myself.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#47]
If you want the absolute best,  go Costa Del Mar.  For 350.00 you can get it all, even a full composite frame.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Funny thing... when you quote people... lol... you use these things called "quotation marks" followed by something such as, "as Ron White said" funny how that clarifies EVERYTHING!

I failed my english course.

Therefore it doesn't apply to me.

Seriously, sorry bout that!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#50]
What do you want them for?  Shooting?  Sports?  Watersports? Skiing?  Just shades to look cool?  Polarized lenses are great for driving, skiing, water b/c they cut the glare.  I love my Maui Jims.  If you want something more indestructable, make sure you get polycarbonate lenses with anti-scratch coatings and a synthetic, bendable frame (or titanium - light and tough but $$$).

Bottom line is what you are looking for glasses for.  Treat a sunglass purchase as you would normal glasses (or optics).  My brother gets his sunglasses by ordering good sunglass frames as prescriptions under his insurance, and then swaps out the regular lenses the next year when he gets new glasses.  I plan on the same thing this year for shooting glasses.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top