Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 7:08:15 AM EDT
Dad Says Principal Duct-Taped Son's Pants

DUNLAP, Ind. - The father of a seventh-grader claims an assistant principal came up with a bizarre way to keep his son's pants from sagging in school: duct tape.

Scott Allison told the Concord School Board earlier this month that his 12-year-old son, Spencer, was ordered by a teacher to lift his shirt after she noticed the boy's underwear was showing above his pants, a violation of Concord Junior High School's dress code.

She sent him to Assistant Principal Patricia Walters, who told Spencer to pull up his pants and tuck in his shirt, Allison said.

"She then proceeded to duct tape his waist, three times around the waist," said Allison. "Then she sent him back to class, in front of his peers."

He said he worried his son would be mocked by his classmates at the school in the town about 20 miles east of South Bend.

"This outrages me and shocks me," Allison said.

Allison also said that Spencer's underwear would not have been exposed if the shirt was left down. "I don't understand what motivated her to ask him to lift up his shirt," he said.

Board President Randall Myers said the board would not discuss personnel issues in public. Junior high Principal Kevin Caird said student discipline is confidential.

Link
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#1]
thats funny.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy your kid a belt, no one wants to see his undies.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not like she used a staple gun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#4]
If the kid didn't follow the dress code, and the parent let it happen, then I don't blame the school a bit. Quoting a guy off the radio, this country has become the "United States of the Offended"......so he got laughed at! I bet he won't let that happen again!!!!!

JMHO

archer2

edit : spelling
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#5]
good for him!  Nothing is more irritating than seeing young people walk around with pants down to their  knees, holding their crotches
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#7]
1. Buy belt.
2. Beat kid for wearing his pants around his knees.
3. Beat dad for being such a pudwhack.
4. Give Assistant Principal a raise and another roll of duct tape.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
A man named Allison - how appropraite for this weenie.

Yer kids a punk. If YOU were doing YOUR job, the teacher wouldn;t have to correct this "wardrobe malfunction."

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Good for her!  When I was in 9th grade, our new principal let everyone know that the saggy jeans look was totally out; I went to a school with a big gang and drug problem.  She went out and bought a bunch of neon pink jump ropes, and if she caught you sagging, you had to tuck in your shirt and wear this HUGE neon pink jump rope like a belt, and were not allowed to take it off until you left school property.  

She was one tough lady, and took no crap from anyone.  The year before she came there were 2 stabbings just off school property, 1 stabbing on school property, 10 drug busts, and gangbangers hanging around campus.  When she showed up she instituted random sobriety tests, random searches, made sure the cops were a constant presence all the time, random locker searches, the works.  She let the teachers no that they were not to take any crap from any kid, and punished disrespect severely.  She also raised private money for music programs and field trips, which we didn't have money for, but you could only go on the trips if you were in good academic standing and hadn't been in her office for at least 3 months.  A lot of kids complained about it, but in 2 years the gangbangers were gone, almost no one was sagging, and the campus was pretty much drug free.

Of course, Los Angeles being the liberal, loving town that it is, she was fired about a year afterwards because some parent complained that her poor son, who was in the Crips at the time, suffered irreperable damage from having to wear a pink jumprope around all day.  Figures
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#10]
That principal deserves an award!

Outstanding.

What the fuck is up with some parents these days?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn skippy. I remember high school, not that long ago, it was fun screwing with those kids. "Pantsing" them in the halls.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#13]
buy your kid some pants that FIT!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#14]
the other day i saw this kid running down the street wearing some of those huge ass circus tent raver pants... he had them pulled up to his chest with both hands and was running flat out...

i laughed so hard, i almost drove into a telephone pole!

just thinking about it now makes me chuckle... kid looked ridiculous...

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Huh?

A parent worried that a middle school age kid might get mocked by classmates?

What planet are you from? Kids get mocked for a lot less than duct tape wrapped around their waist.

Hell - you could put those kids all in the same uniform, with the same haircuts, with the same looks, the same size, skin tone,  same everything and......

They will find a way to mock each other! Its human nature, and no matter how hard "they" try, school will always be a jungle.

Think Hobbes' Leviathan - school is definitely a "state of Nature"

I'm laughing at this, and I think the principal did the right thing!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Did no one but me notice the part where it said that the kid's underwear was NOT visible until the teacher made him pull up his shirt? What a bunch of fashion fascists we have here.

Oh yes, bravo to the douchebag powermad ASSistant principal.

his 12-year-old son, Spencer, was ordered by a teacher to lift his shirt after she noticed the boy's underwear was showing above his pants, a violation of Concord Junior High School's dress code.

Seems it WAS visible before she told him to pull his shirt up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Yer kids a punk. If YOU were doing YOUR job, the teacher wouldn;t have to correct this "wardrobe malfunction."

+1

I'm sick of this hip hop/ hoodlem culture bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Fuck duct tape......hot glue the pants on. That'll learn him!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Allison's the last name.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Good for Assistant Principal Walters.  My son asked for a pair of loose-fitting jeans (nothing seriously baggy, but fashionable.)  I let him get them, but told him that if I ever saw him walking around with his pants halfway down his ass, I would burn them and make him go to school wearing the ugliest high-water plaid slacks that I could find.  He knows I'll do it, too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
his 12-year-old son, Spencer, was ordered by a teacher to lift his shirt after she noticed the boy's underwear was showing above his pants, a violation of Concord Junior High School's dress code.

Seems it WAS visible before she told him to pull his shirt up.

Or maybe she just ASSumed that his underwear would be visible because she could see the crotch of his jeans around his knees. Regardless, she didn't have anything to say until AFTER she made him pull his shirt up.

Sounds like a good assumption to me.  Are you in training to be an ACLU lawyer?

If his pants sagged enough to make it that obvious, the principal was right to correct the deficiency.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#24]

That's nothing - at my ultra-conservative school, our regionally famous, 40-year tenured principal would tie up our "sagging" pants with hay baling rope so tight that it literally cut off your circulation a little.  

It got the point across, and honestly, I miss him, & people like him who still believe in paddling, etc...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#25]
that rocks, his dad is a weenie
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Allison's the last name.

I know.

SHOULD be the first name. That, or Nancy.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Allison's the last name.

I know.

SHOULD be the first name. That, or Nancy.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I think it would be just the opposite... the kid would probably be seen as a "fashion martyr"... wearing his duct tape with pride and enjoying all the extra attention he no doubt recieved. The good thing is the glue residue from the duct tape probably rendered that outfit unwearable after it was removed. All schools should just go to a dress code. It certainly makes getting ready in the morning a lot easier when you don't have to spend any time picking out clothes. Probably one of the reasons I loved being in the Army.

Quoted:

No, but she probably should have...

Quoted:
not withstanding johnny-dumbass' falling down pants...i think dad is going to end up owning the school building. the out-of-court settlement should provide johnny with belts for a lifetime.

oh yeah...assistant principal patricia walters will now be known as assistant cafeteria lady patricia walters.

If that happens then it's just more ammo to pass a bill against trial lawyers who make/win cases based on emotions rather than common sense.

Quoted:
When I was in 9th grade, our new principal let everyone know that the saggy jeans look was totally out; I went to a school with a big gang and drug problem.  
She let the teachers no [where were you during English class in this fine institution?] that they were not to take any crap from any kid, and punished disrespect severely.  
...but in 2 years the gangbangers were gone, almost no one was sagging, and the campus was pretty much drug free.
Of course, Los Angeles being the liberal, loving town that it is, she was fired about a year afterwards because some parent complained that her poor son, who was in the Crips at the time, suffered irreperable damage from having to wear a pink jumprope around all day.  Figures

Sorry... I can't believe that she was fired just for that. not even in PRK. No court/judge in their right mind would rule in favor of a thug no matter how emotionally scarred he was from wearing a pink jump rope.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

She should have.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Next time, use a hot glue gun. or a nail gun with 16 penny nails.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Next time, use a hot glue gun. or a nail gun with 16 penny rusty nails.

That's better...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
thats funny.

+1    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top