Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 2:07:39 AM EDT
I am looking to buy a utility 4wd atv, and am looking hard at the grizzley.  Would like to hear anyones opinions, or advice as to what to get.  Yamaha has special deals right now is why I'm leaning that way.  I want one that is 4wd, can pull a trailer, has racks, and is liquid cooled.  Thanks, Jim
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am looking to buy a utility 4wd atv, and am looking hard at the grizzley.  Would like to hear anyones opinions, or advice as to what to get.  Yamaha has special deals right now is why I'm leaning that way.  I want one that is 4wd, can pull a trailer, has racks, and is liquid cooled.  Thanks, Jim

The Yamaha ATV's are fantastic. The Grizzly is a big boy, but it is a stellar performer. I like the Yamaha utility ATV's the best out of any on the market.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/24484Grizzly_660_013-med.jpg
Best bike out there IMHO. It lays wast to my friends Honda Rincon. You will not be disapointed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#4]
A flat land machine -------- for that it is the KING

For hills and rough terrain the Kodiak 450 would be better. (The Grizz is top heavy)
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
buy the polaris 600 bought 3 this year an love them.ALLL AMERICAN MADE.........
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#6]
What about the new John Deere?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A flat land machine -------- for that it is the KING

For hills and rough terrain the Kodiak 450 would be better. (The Grizz is top heavy)

I'll throw in another vote for the Kodiak 450. I seriously considered a Grizz when I bought mine but it was just to big. The Kodiak has all the features of a Grizzly but has a more "sporty" feel to it and its easier drive on tight trails.  

The Grizzly is an awesome quad though, you just can't go wrong with a Yamaha!!

Mine:

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#8]

I Forgot, Go here: Highlifter
Up at the top click on the "Mud Hole" They have an awesome forum. You can learn anything you need to about the Grizzly or any other ATV.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Guys, Thanks a million for the replies it seems I'm on the right track, I'm really looking for something to use around the farm year round for pulling hay wagons, deer out of the back forty, giving the grandkids rides, and general horseplay.  May help in chasing down the renegade steer from time to time!!  JFrush, that Kodiak is the best looking machine I have ever seen, I love the tires!!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:37:24 AM EDT
[#10]
here is the 99 Grizz I have

Air cooled, the newer ones are bigger and water cooled. Lots of power.

this is the 450 Kodiak -- A little less power (not real noticable) but if pulling hay wagons The Grizz would be better.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:57:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Why is everyone big on 4 wheel atv's?  More stuff to break on them and you rarely have need of one.  And when you do need 4 wheel drive and get stuck, it is usually just as easy to pick up the lighter 2 wheel drive model and nudge it over the obstacle.  Good ground clearance and good judgement will get you through more obstacles quicker than a beast like some of these things are getting to be.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I want 4wd because of starting out with heavy wagons, plus the amount of snow we get here sometimes dictates it,  I had my sons Suzuki out in a field this year riding along after a rain and went over a spot where the water runs to a field tile and it immediately sank causing me to carry my two year old granddaughter 3/4 mile to the house, then went back turned up the idle and managed to push it out while riding the clutch and walking behind it.  I don't know if 4wd would have been any different in the soup I was in but I'll probably find out next spring!!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why is everyone big on 4 wheel atv's?  More stuff to break on them and you rarely have need of one.  And when you do need 4 wheel drive and get stuck, it is usually just as easy to pick up the lighter 2 wheel drive model and nudge it over the obstacle.  Good ground clearance and good judgement will get you through more obstacles quicker than a beast like some of these things are getting to be.

I guess it is about where you drive

In NE Ohio
snow
rain
muddy hills
all make 4x4 a necessity not a option.

I have tried to go up hills in 2 wheel drive, no joy, put it in 4x4 and walked up the hill with ease.

Plus it gets old lifting the front of the quad to go over logs and huge rocks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Why is everyone big on 4 wheel atv's?  More stuff to break on them .

I own two 4wd quads and have been riding for 5 years and have not broken anything on either one. A winch is a must. There is a simple trick that will keep you from breaking stuff.

If the quad doesn't move, winch it out!

You break stuff by nailing the throttle. Not only is this tuff on the engine, but if it suddenly catches traction you can snap axles, break CV joints and destroy transmissions.  

and you rarely have need of one.  And when you do need 4 wheel drive and get stuck, it is usually just as easy to pick up the lighter 2 wheel drive model and nudge it over the obstacle.  Good ground clearance and good judgement will get you through more obstacles quicker than a beast like some of these things are getting to be.

Depends on where you ride. Where we go you will be "Picking up" and "Nudging" your quad more than you will be riding it, not much fun. If your pulling something, 4wd will be a huge help on soft ground. It's also big help on hill climbs as the added traction lets you go up the hill slower and the extra wieght in the front helps prevent flippng.  

And never underestimate the testosterone factor of a 4wd

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:01:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It's called snow. A 2 wheel drive tries to "push" the front wheels thru it and a 4 wheel drive "eats" thru it. 2WD just doesn't cut it.

I'm a Yahmaha guy that appreciates Honda quality. But if I had to go out and buy one now, I would look at a Kawisaki Prairie very hard.

compare
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:35:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's called snow. A 2 wheel drive tries to "push" the front wheels thru it and a 4 wheel drive "eats" thru it. 2WD just doesn't cut it.

I'm a Yahmaha guy that appreciates Honda quality. But if I had to go out and buy one now, I would look at a Kawisaki Prairie very hard.

compare

The engine breaking on the Grizz IMO makes the Grizz better than the Kawasaki.

Kawasaki 's - Also, Kawasaki's Engine Brake Control (KEBC) system electronically monitors ground speed and uses the engine's compression to help slow down the machine.

I feel is week , no matter what the articles says.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

compare

The engine breaking on the Grizz IMO makes the Grizz better than the Kawasaki.

Kawasaki 's - Also, Kawasaki's Engine Brake Control (KEBC) system electronically monitors ground speed and uses the engine's compression to help slow down the machine.

I feel is week , no matter what the articles says.

From the comparison:

Transmission… Dual-range CVT with KEBC (Kawasaki Engine Brake Control)

They are both good machines. One may appeal to a person more than the other.

And cyanide, the skull and bones on the "griz" is a nice touch.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh yeah they are both excellent machines for sure.

Like you said "personal preference" ,  and close dealerships I think make the choice for people.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top