Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 2:00:34 AM EDT
I was just entering the freeway near my house this weekend when a state highway patrol officer saw fit to pull me over. Having a newly issued concealed carry permit I followed the laws to the letter. Which means, my loaded concealed carry gun was locked in the glove box as required by law. Here's the wrinkle. I was on the way to a gun show and had about 10 other guns in my SUV. The question in Ohio is whether you can transport other guns while having a loaded CCW gun in your vehicle and I was about to find out.

I informed the officer that I had a loaded firearm locked in the glove box as required by law. I also told her that there were other unloaded guns in the car and that I was traveling to a gun show. I see another squad car pull up and I'm sure this is going to get ugly. I give the officer my keys so she can unlock the glove box and retrieve my registration and insurance card. She takes my gun, registration etc... and goes back to her car while the other officer stands with his hand resting on his gun.

The officer comes back and places the gun, registration and insurance card back in the glove box and locks it up. She asks me what type of gun I was carrying (a kahr p40) as she had never seen one. I recommended it to her as a good back up weapon. She handed me a warning, thanked me for following the CCW laws and sent me on my way. Quite a way to start your day. Made a great topic of conversation at the gun show to boot.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
been pulled over a couple times and have had no problems. All officers were polite and did not act any different after I told them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:08:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Commie states ;)

I couldn't imagine having to go through that....just "because the gub'mint of my state said so...."
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#3]
You have to lock it up ? What bs.

We can drive with it on the seat if we want loaded and ready to go. With out a CCW
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought you could also open carry in a vehicle.

My plan when I come home was to simply pull my shirt up and inside my holster so I am exposed and keep going.  Has the law changed again or are you guys preferring to take it off and put in in the glovebox as opposed to wearing it open????

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:38:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My plan when I come home was to simply pull my shirt up and inside my holster so I am exposed and keep going.  Has the law changed again or are you guys preferring to take it off and put in in the glovebox as opposed to wearing it open????

bnormal2
...Having a newly issued concealed carry permit I followed the laws to the letter. Which means, my loaded concealed carry gun was locked in the glove box as required by law...

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
No one has defined what "in the open" is exactly. The law says a gun has to be HOLSTERED, on your person and in plain sight or locked in a glove  box or lockable case in a motor vehicle. I prefer to carry in the glove box until they decide what plain sight is or until they revise the law. It makes no sense to have a concealed carry permit and then carry you gun in plain view while in a car.  At least we finally got a CCW passed!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Here in SC any citizen can carry a loaded handgun in their glovebox or console, not locked.

With CCW, mine is a bit closer at hand.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:52:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No one has defined what "in the open" is exactly. The law says a gun has to be HOLSTERED, on your person and in plain sight or locked in a glove  box or lockable case in a motor vehicle. I prefer to carry in the glove box until they decide what plain sight is or until they revise the law. It makes no sense to have a concealed carry permit and then carry you gun in plain view while in a car.  At least we finally got a CCW passed!

In the open means, If I'm standing outside your car I can see your holstered handgun.  I NEVER leave my handgun locked in the glove box.  I might as well not even carry.

I got stopped (actually assisted - disabled vehicle) by an Allen County Deputy shortly after the law was passed.  When he approached the vehicle I said "Deputy, I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, I'm carrying one right now.  It's on my right hip, my permit is in my right hip pocket.  What do you want me to do?"

He chuckled and said "Well the first thing I want you to do is get your permit out and and show it to me."

He ran the permit & driver's license, asked if I needed any help, called the State Highway Patrol & told them I'm be back the next day w/ help to retreive my vehicle, and wished me a good day.

No problems here.

**I also had a shitload of gear laying all over the truck that could have turned into a 3 hour investigation if he had wanted to be nosey and / or didn't know the firearms laws.  Nothing illegal but certainly interesting, lol.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:56:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here in SC any citizen can carry a loaded handgun in their glovebox or console, not locked.

With CCW, mine is a bit closer at hand.

Atleast its somewhat friendly, My GA permit isnt good there but I can atleast have in the my console.  Since I live on the border im in SC 2 or 3 times a month.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Man Ohio is so lame  uncool for that  "yea my weapon is locked up"

So what you are better off unlocked and unloaded it would be faster just to drop a speed loader in the 357.

It is unfortunate that you are burdened with a bunch of ninnies in Ohio. I was there for some robot training recently. You guys had just passed the carry law. The news and radio was rambling on about where you could have your gun, and what if someone had a gun in a park or other pubic places. So freaking WHAT! It is hidden from view unseen no one knows you have it, so what the hell is the problem.

I live in one of the O states you do not have to tell the po po shit unless they ask. It is recommended you let them know, but not mandatory.

Well this is my short story that no one asked to hear. I wrote it anyway. Then if messed around and edited it. I tried to make it more readable. This is what happened to me last time I was pulled over.

I am driving home at 2:30am. This is known hear as beer thirty because that is when the bars close. I had just gotten off work. I was driving a POS car and everything is busted including the drivers window. Lights come on I pull over get my ID permit etc. ready to go. My gun is holstered and under the seat. I keep my seatbelt on and crack the door. Most police don't like this and I under stand. The lady officer yells "close the door now"! I say, “yes mama". I shut my door. The officer Says, "roll down the window". I say, "Sorry mama the window doesn’t roll down". The officer replies, "The window doesn’t roll down"? Then I respond, "No mama it is broken". She looks at me hard and says, "The window is broken"? I have to come back with something so I say, "yes it will not go down". The lady officer is not into this and says, "So the window won’t go down"? I'm attempting to keep a smile off my face and I eep out, "no it’s broke and I can’t roll it down". The officer is still confused so she asks me, "So it won’t roll down"? I feel we aren’t making a connection. She must understand that the car is barely road worthy. I tell her as gracefully as I can muster, "right I can’t roll it down". With the look in her eyes I think we might have a spark until she queries, “so you can't roll down the window"? I slowly come back with a clear statement, "right I can’t roll it down it is broken and will not roll down". The officer is with me now. She is ready for a change and replies, “fine then the window won’t roll down then".  I love this, progress maybe I can get home tonight, I blurt out, “right it’s broke and I can’t move it” She is also thinking gawd how long is this window thing going to go on and says, "fine then don’t move I'll be right back".  She then does a walk around with the flash light and comes back to the door. Now ready for business the officer tells me to, "open the door" I think back to sq.1.  I put my Id and permit against the window and say, "I am licensed to carry a gun and am currently armed here is my permit and the gun is loaded and under the seat". The lady is not pleased and demands, " WHAT! She goes on to say, "You should have told me that as soon as I pulled you over". I am trying to not make this worse and reply with a quick, "Yes mama".

After she checks my license reg and so on she tells me, "Well I pulled you over because you had a license plate light out". I couldn’t believe it and I answer, “really, I just replaced that last week when another officer pulled me over- (true story) - are you sure it’s out "? The Officer says, "yes but, I'll let you go with a warning".  I am Thankful for the comic silliness and nothing more serious. I give her my best, "thank you mama". Of course I got home and Checked the light and she was full of S the light was working.

Yea no shit I just put it in last week anyway I thought I was playing who’s on first what? No what's on second.

Instead it was just a you are driving a POS car late at night and I wanted to check you out.
Man I sure wished she would have just said that.

Well try to get the kinks out of that law so you can carry your guns loaded and on your person at all times and maybe recognize other states as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:04:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Man Ohio is so lame yea my weapon is locked so what you are better off unlocked and unloaded it would be faster just to drop a speed loader in the 357 screw that state I was there for some robot training and you guys had just passed the carry law and all the news and radio was rambling on about where you could have your gun and what if someone had a gun in a park or other pubic places freaking WHAT! It is hidden from view unseen no one knows you have it, so what the hell is the problem.... I live in one of the O states you do not have to tell the po po shit unless they ask it is recommended to tell them but not mandatory. Well this is my short story about the last time I was pulled over on some bull made up shit..I am driving home at 2:30am beer thirty just off work POS car 83 Labaron everything is busted including the drivers window. Lights come on I pull over get my ID permit etc. ready. Gun is holstered and under the seat. I keep my belt on and crack the door lady officer yells "close the door now"! me "yes mama" door shuts officer "roll down the window" me "sorry mama the window doesn’t roll down" officer "the window doesn’t roll down" me "no mama it is broken" officer "the window is broken" me "yes it will not go down" officer "so the window wont go down" me "no its broke and I cant roll it down" officer "so it wont roll down" me "right I cant roll it down" officer "so you can't roll down the window" me "right I cant roll it down it is broken and will not roll down" officer "fine then the window wont roll down then"? Me "right its broke and I can’t move it" officer "fine then don’t move I'll be right  back" she does a walk around with the flash light and comes back to the door. Officer "open the door" I think back to sq1 and I put my Id and permit against the window and say "I am licensed to carry a gun and am currently armed here is My permit and the gun is loaded and under the seat" Officer " WHAT! you should have told me that as soon as I pulled you over" me "yes mama" after she checks my license reg and so on "well I pulled you over because you had a license plate light out"  me really I just replaced that last week when another officer pulled me over(true story) are you sure its out "? officer "yes but I'll let you go with a warning" me "thank you mama" I got home and checked BS light was working yea no shit I just but it in last week anyway I thought I was playing Who's on first What? no what's on second...............but it was just a you are driving a POS car late at night and I wanted to check you out man I sure wished she would have just siad that so I wouldn't have to hate on her anyway stay strong and get the kinks out of that law so you can carry your guns loaded and on your person at all times and maybe recognize other states as well.

Did they give me too much medication last week when I had surgery, or is everybody else having trouble reading this too?  This gives me a headache...  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#12]

I see another squad car pull up and I'm sure this is going to get ugly...

The officer comes back and places the gun, registration and insurance card back in the glove box and locks it up...   She handed me a warning, thanked me for following the CCW laws and sent me on my way.

Very ugly
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:13:29 AM EDT
[#13]
The wart on the law that is the vehicle clause is just something you have to work on.  

One year without any ccw problems and getting that line struck from the law should be a piece of cake (given of course, that you're a pro-active gun owner and not just the type that sits there with their hands out expecting others to do all the work for them).

I remember when it was going into the books - a couple of yahoos here saying "WAH! I don't support it!  WAH!"  At least you guys in Ohio HAVE a ccw law
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Did they give me too much medication last week when I had surgery, or is everybody else having trouble reading this too?  This gives me a headache...  

whatever if it sucks just skip it and read the next post.                                                                                                                              

is this better?

spaced out, and not in one long run on sentence.

Not to get down on Ohio. I think its great you guys worked hard and got the a law passed. Good Job!

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You have to lock it up ? What bs.

We can drive with it on the seat if we want loaded and ready to go. With out a CCW

I can do that without a CCW in Fl. With a card I dont even have to tell them I have it and I dont.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#17]
So what about those vehicles that don't have a lock on the glovebox? Do you have to lock it in a briefcase or something similiar in the vehicle instead of just placing it in the glovebox?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#18]

I came up on a state police checkpoint some time ago along a back road that kids and drunks typically use to avoid the routine patrols of the main roads.  

It was late and I was young so the suspision was automatically there, but when the officer came around and I announced that I was packing, along with showing my CCW, he immediately told me to move along - without checking my mandatory insurance which is required in AL.  

I always thought that was humorous.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:01:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oh boy. When I first read this I didn't look at the author and thought it said person pulled up their skirt. I thought this would become a BOTD.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So what about those vehicles that don't have a lock on the glovebox? Do you have to lock it in a briefcase or something similiar in the vehicle instead of just placing it in the glovebox?

A lockable box, in plain view is acceptable too.

Like I said in my earlier post - why even bother with locking it up at all?  If I'm going to CCW, I want the pistol in a holster, on my hip where it belongs.  The only thing I do is tuck my shirt in behind the holster when I'm in the truck, and untuck when I get out.  I can't imagine CCW'ing and driving around with the firearm locked in the glove box.  Makes no sense to me, but ....  whatever.

::shrugs::
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

whatever if it sucks just skip it and read the next post.                                                                                                                              

is this better?

spaced out, and not in one long run on sentence.

Thank you very much.  That helps quite a bit.

No need to get defensive, I was getting ready to paypal you some money so you could buy some punctuation.  

Not to get down on Ohio. I think its great you guys worked hard and got the a law passed. Good Job!

Thanks again.  It's the best law, but it's a start.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Only been pulled over one time here, CC weapon was in plain view, LEO was quite nice about it.

Here in AZ even if you DON'T have a CCW permit, you're allowed to have a loaded handgun in a holster or a zippered carry case on the seat next to you, or in a glove box, under the seat, wherever. The case or holster is the key. If you DO NOT have a CCW and have an uncased or unholstered weapon hidden from view in any way, detail  is gonna cause you some problems.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Man Ohio is so lame yea my weapon is locked so what you are better off unlocked and unloaded it would be faster just to drop a speed loader in the 357 screw that state I was there for some robot training and you guys had just passed the carry law and all the news and radio was rambling on about where you could have your gun and what if someone had a gun in a park or other pubic places freaking WHAT! It is hidden from view unseen no one knows you have it, so what the hell is the problem.... I live in one of the O states you do not have to tell the po po shit unless they ask it is recommended to tell them but not mandatory. Well this is my short story about the last time I was pulled over on some bull made up shit..I am driving home at 2:30am beer thirty just off work POS car 83 Labaron everything is busted including the drivers window. Lights come on I pull over get my ID permit etc. ready. Gun is holstered and under the seat. I keep my belt on and crack the door lady officer yells "close the door now"! me "yes mama" door shuts officer "roll down the window" me "sorry mama the window doesn’t roll down" officer "the window doesn’t roll down" me "no mama it is broken" officer "the window is broken" me "yes it will not go down" officer "so the window wont go down" me "no its broke and I cant roll it down" officer "so it wont roll down" me "right I cant roll it down" officer "so you can't roll down the window" me "right I cant roll it down it is broken and will not roll down" officer "fine then the window wont roll down then"? Me "right its broke and I can’t move it" officer "fine then don’t move I'll be right  back" she does a walk around with the flash light and comes back to the door. Officer "open the door" I think back to sq1 and I put my Id and permit against the window and say "I am licensed to carry a gun and am currently armed here is My permit and the gun is loaded and under the seat" Officer " WHAT! you should have told me that as soon as I pulled you over" me "yes mama" after she checks my license reg and so on "well I pulled you over because you had a license plate light out"  me really I just replaced that last week when another officer pulled me over(true story) are you sure its out "? officer "yes but I'll let you go with a warning" me "thank you mama" I got home and checked BS light was working yea no shit I just but it in last week anyway I thought I was playing Who's on first What? no what's on second...............but it was just a you are driving a POS car late at night and I wanted to check you out man I sure wished she would have just siad that so I wouldn't have to hate on her anyway stay strong and get the kinks out of that law so you can carry your guns loaded and on your person at all times and maybe recognize other states as well.

Paragraphs......indentation...pah! Such bourgeois capitalist concepts.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#24]
look I'll keep any smart or dumbass comments to one or two lines. That way maybe I won't in-bear-ass myself further. I had a long sick day babbling a lot. K got to go to bed and not comment on Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
look I'll keep any smart or dumbass comments to one or two lines. That way maybe I won't in-bear-ass myself further. I had a long sick day babbling a lot. K got to go to bed and not comment on Ohio.

Relax, man.  I was just funnin' ya.

You've been around here long enough to know this can be a tough crowd.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If I'm going to CCW, I want the pistol in a holster, on my hip where it belongs.  The only thing I do is tuck my shirt in behind the holster when I'm in the truck, and untuck when I get out.  I can't imagine CCW'ing and driving around with the firearm locked in the glove box.  Makes no sense to me, but ....  whatever.

::shrugs::

A friend of mine just went through his class and the instructors confirmed that merely rearranging your shirt to shot the butt of your handgun while in its IWB hoslter meets the definition of "in plain sight" here in Ohio.  That is precisely what I intend to do as soon as I get my stuff together.

Small of back and ankle carry are not, FYI.

This is minor, temporary inconvenience.  One of Ohi0 CCW's goals for the 2005 legislature should be (if it isn't already) to strike all restrictions for CCW in vehicles.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

A friend of mine just went through his class and the instructors confirmed that merely rearranging your shirt to shot the butt of your handgun while in its IWB hoslter meets the definition of "in plain sight" here in Ohio.  That is precisely what I intend to do as soon as I get my stuff together.

No one will know for sure until it is litigated.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Another thing that will work in our favor is that the State Attorney General, Jim Petro, has stated open carry in cars applies to off-duty LEO's as well.  Before we had CCW, they were permitted to carry in their jurisdiction.  Regardless of whether an LEO would ever charge another with concealed carry in a car, it is helpful that the same guidelines are being applied by the AG.  This should help get the law changed to concealed inside cars, as well.

www.ag.state.oh.us/sections/opinions/2004/2004-028.pdf
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one will know for sure until it is litigated.

And whomever litigates will lose.

How could anyone possibly argue that SOB carry is "plain view" when the gun is sandwiched between the seat back and yours?  For something to be in plain veiw, it first has to be visible

I guess you could argue that ankle carry, while wearing shorts, is in plain view.  But why would you want to?  Just carry on your side and expose the gun/holster by tucking your shirt behind it.

Easy enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey, I'm wearing a shoulder rig to make absolutely sure. Some have said that a strong-side OWB holster is "in plain view" if you don't wear a shirt or jacket but if you ask me, if the cop can't see it it ain't visible.

We really won't know until someone gets charged and it goes before a judge. What precedent will be set?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
FWIW I follow the reasonable attempt rule.  That is, if you are resonably attempting to keep it in plain view in the car, and follow all of the other procedures, thats cool with me.  YCMV ( your cops may vary).

...and those are the words I should have used.  

That's exactly what the LEO said in the CCW class I took.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Hey, I'm wearing a shoulder rig to make absolutely sure. Some have said that a strong-side OWB holster is "in plain view" if you don't wear a shirt or jacket but if you ask me, if the cop can't see it it ain't visible.

We really won't know until someone gets charged and it goes before a judge. What precedent will be set?

What kind?
My understanding of those is that there are two types: one's that point down, and are hard to draw (up toward your armpit), and the ones that point backwards and are easy to draw, but sweep everyone you walk in front of.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#34]

I got a better idea, let's remove this odious concession made to head JBT Paul McClellan ASAP next legislative session.

We are the ONLY CCW state with this kind of bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I got a better idea, let's remove this odious concession made to head JBT Paul McClellan ASAP next legislative session.

We are the ONLY CCW state with this kind of bullshit.

Oh, hell yeah. I'm all for that. Let's get ccw in restaurants, too (I can understand bars being off limits but for example MI allows CCW if the establishment makes less than half its $$ off alcohol).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#36]
True

OH seems to have a shitty CCW law.  Locked in a glove box damn that sucks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
True

OH seems to have a shitty CCW law.  Locked in a glove box damn that sucks.

That's one way, but not the only way.  It can be holstered on your person in plain sight (exposed).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Shotar, i agree cops vary. What really pisses me off is that civilians are required to follow the law to the letter. The problem there in lies that caops can interperate the law any way they see fit, just because they can. There was a recent article on ohioCCW.org about a guy who got arrested . The cop arrested him on hte plain sight rule. The guy had his handgun on his hip, with his shirt tucked behind the gun, in plain sight. He was the passenger and the officer told him to put his hands on the dash. As he did this the shirt came un-tucked and the by the time the officer reached the passenger side of the car, the weapon was accidently concealed.  The kid was screwed because of Ohios lack of makeing a decent law. cops should be required to follow a set standard of rules in a situation, just like us civilians........ But they dont have too..........
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#39]
I can't imagine CCW'ing and driving around with the firearm locked in the glove box.

This provision of the law is intended to protect carjackers from harm.  After all, criminals need a safe working environment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I can't imagine CCW'ing and driving around with the firearm locked in the glove box.

This provision of the law is intended to protect carjackers from harm.  After all, criminals need a safe working environment.

Ahh, now I understand.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#41]
I got pulled over the other day while open carrying.  I had my USP45f laying on the seat next to me, told the officer before he got up to the car I had it with me and where it was, he simply took the pistol back to his car, came back, and handed it back and said have a nice day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Paragraphs......indentation...pah! Such bourgeois capitalist concepts.....

Please limit all Frog words on this board where patriots play.

Your cooperation in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top